Diaco Tells Breakfast Crowd: 'I'm On Fire' With What's Happening With UConn Football(DC) | The Boneyard

Diaco Tells Breakfast Crowd: 'I'm On Fire' With What's Happening With UConn Football(DC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwjFm6a8qcnHAhWBEJIKHQVPB8k&url=http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-bob-diaco-middlesex-chamber-0828-20150827-story.html&ei=mgrfVcXmFIGhyASFnp3IDA&usg=AFQjCNGQcWdYEgiHO3nDC5BfTYiraueuDw&sig2=gVGnA2AHlFKhSQ3zJzIQSg

Second-year UConn football coach Bob Diaco was his usual enthusiastic self as he addressed the crowd at a Middlesex Chamber of Commerce breakfast on Thursday morning.

"I am on fire with what's going on with the program right now," he said at the beginning of his remarks. "We just had one of the greatest camps I've ever been a part of."

He also took the opportunity to talk about academics. He said 31 Huskies are on the academic honor roll, four with 4.0 grade-point averages and zero in academic trouble. "So we're winning," he said.

UConn Football Coach Bob Diaco talks about the "cooker" his team is in for this year's opening games. Among the first questions from the crowd concerned the quarterback. Diaco said on Wednesday that would be revealed on Sunday. He added Thursday that a decision has been made but that is as far as he would go. He also said, "You're going to see a change in execution on offense."

On his team's challenging schedule, featuring games at Missouri and BYU, he said: "We're building this to last. I'm excited about schedule because I'm invested in the process."

Reaction Score
UConn Football Coach Diaco: I Don't Need To Be Reminded We Need To Win Games
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...nded-we-need-to-win-games-20150827-story.html

>>Toward the end Diaco pointed out, well, the truth, about what it's all about, right down to him being in Storrs. “I don’t need to be reminded that we need to win the games, no kidding, got it.” Diaco said. UConn Athletic director Warde Manuel, seated just to the left of Diaco, raised his head and smiled at his head coach after that one.<<

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I would love to know the (probably annoying like the wins count) question that led to that answer.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...co-middlesex-chamber-0828-20150827-story.html

>>"But understand from a joy standpoint, from an energy standpoint, in my world, my vision, my mission, my vocare, is about developing these young men and being sure that they understand that there wasn't one single person on this planet born a loser. Not one. Everyone was born a winner. What baby, what child is a loser? So we learned it somewhere along the way. I'd like to be a part of changing the dynamic from losing to winning and if you're winning you can win more. And that's what I'm trying to get done, that's what we're trying to get done and we are getting it done."<<

Reaction Score
This is very impressive:

He also took the opportunity to talk about academics. He said 31 Huskies are on the academic honor roll, four with 4.0 grade-point averages and zero in academic trouble. "So we're winning," he said.

Reaction Score
As my old coach was find of saying "Gentlemen, get your hats on. Its time to knock some dicks in the dirt."

Reaction Score
What's a vocare?

images

Reaction Score
I would love to know the (probably annoying like the wins count) question that led to that answer.

I attended the breakfast and Diaco's response was not prompted by a direct question about # of wins. . It was more a proactive acknowledgement of what everyone is thinking. In other words he was conveying that non of superlatives means anything unless we win. He wanted the audience to know that he is fully aware that UCONN needs to WIN games period, end of story.

Reaction Score
He hit you with a little latin there, means to call or summon, maybe he meant it as it's his calling.

He used the term "Vocare" when referring to the fact that the players are millennials who although as a group they are great multi-taskers, at times they lack focus. The coaches have been stressing and teaching focus on their position and responsibility. He intimated that today's kids are all over the place multi tasking. I can relate to that from personal experience as a parent and coach. He also challenged the professionals in the audience to apply the same focus to their roll.

I found the word vocatio which means the same thing.
vocatio
  • (noun, noun (f.; 3rd declension) feminine )
Other meanings:
occupation for which a person is suited

An occupation, either professional or voluntary, that is seen more to those who carry it out than simply financial reward. Vocations can be seen as providing a psychological or spiritual need for the worker, and are often assumed to carry some form of altruistic intent. calling an occupation for which a person is suited, trained or qualified an inclination to undertake a certain kind of work, especially a religious career; often in response to a perceived summons; a calling

The culture that Diaco and Staff are building is going to be exciting to watch. As you know I have been a believer in Diaco from day 1 and I am really excited about where the program is headed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He used the term "Vocare" when referring to the fact that the players are millennials who although as a group they are great multi-taskers, at times they lack focus. The coaches have been stressing and teaching focus on their position and responsibility. He intimated that today's kids are all over the place multi tasking. I can relate to that from personal experience as a parent and coach. He also challenged the professionals in the audience to apply the same focus to their roll.

vocatio
Other meanings:

An occupation, either professional or voluntary, that is seen more to those who carry it out than simply financial reward. Vocations can be seen as providing a psychological or spiritual need for the worker, and are often assumed to carry some form of altruistic intent. calling an occupation for which a person is suited, trained or qualified an inclination to undertake a certain kind of work, especially a religious career; often in response to a perceived summons; a calling

The culture that Diaco and Staff are building is going to be exciting to watch. As you know I have been a believer in Diaco from day 1 and I am really excited about where the program is headed.
Isn't vocatio what got a former basketball assistant fired?

Reaction Score
Last weekend we put out some dumpster fires. Didn't see Diaco there. So it's more like a "temperature's-risin" fire I assume.

Reaction Score

vocatio
Other meanings:

Gotcha, I was responding to medic post where he was referring to himself and the first linked article actually references what I said, vocare means a calling, but in the end it's all semantics, as long as his vocare includes turning a corner for this program I couldn't care less if he speaks English at all! This time next week we are 1-0 and the wheels are a turning!!

Reaction Score
Jury is still out on Bob as a head coach, but I am not a fan of his patter at all. It has a lot of elements of an effective speaker but...it's just a bit off. One on one it may be great but in front of a crowd it kinda feels like:

"Why hello Mrs. Clever that's a lovely outfit you have on today. You're winning."

It's one of those personal traits in a coach that you tolerate when your team wins, that you love when your team wins championships, and that you despise when your team stinks.

He's kind of like an inverse of Bill Belichick: he never uses 8 words when 650 words will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom