Diaco recruited all kinds of size over the last 2 years

Discussion in 'UConn Football' started by Jax Husky, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jax Husky

Jax Husky Larry Taylor did nothing wrong

And now we get Randy fn Edsall to develop it. Diaco wasn't making anyone better, but we should all be able to agree that Edsall's biggest strength was developing players. Exciting times folks. I don't think 7 wins is out of the question for next year.

2. JMick

JMick

My expectations are still tempered for 2017 but I'm hoping for big things in 2018. If we win 5 or more games next year and look like a real football team again I'll be happy.

Bonehead likes this.
  3. Papadukes

Papadukes

I never make predictions but I'm all in after the OC hire. Randy def has a good history here. It feels good to be pumped up for Uconn football again.

4. UConnDan97

UConnDan97 predicting undefeated seasons since 1983

I make predictions all the time... :cool:

cttxus, BNich, sub legacy and 15 others like this.
  5. WingU-Conn

WingU-Conn Apologista 2.0

I'm excited about the future, but even if Shirrefs comes back I don't think 7 wins is a realistic expectation.

I'd enjoy being wrong, but I think this is a 2-3 year rebuild.

6. Jax Husky

Jax Husky Larry Taylor did nothing wrong

I can understand that, but we should have been a 6 win team this year, so I am not looking at it as a true increase from 3 wins. Coaching literally cost us 3 games this year.

TGW93, SubbaBub, HuskyHawk and 8 others like this.
  7. MattMang23

MattMang23 Contrarian

In true Boneyard fashion I predict 9-3, just like we were going to be this year when everyone predicted in August.

8. sportsart

sportsart College Football has stage P5 cancer.

OK

MattMang23 likes this.
  9. DoctorWho85

DoctorWho85

15-0 national championship #3 offense in the country

sub legacy, jazyj, KSC94 and 6 others like this.
  10. Colt house75

Colt house75

No predictions, forecasts on wins etc for me.
    Wins will come with staff being put together.

ktuck911 and Confident Carl like this.
  11. RayIsTheGOAT

RayIsTheGOAT I was once compared to a young Tragic Bronson

"Exciting times folks. I don't think 7 wins is out of the question for next year."

That made me lol.

12. Hoophound

Hoophound

After the 3 losses that were 100% on Diaco, it is literally unreasonable to call this team 3 win talent. If you want to predict 6+ wins, you have to be assuming Bryant is the QB or that we get someone better from outside the program. I doubt Williams can produce right off the bat. Lots of learning to do with a new offense.

Noel Thomas is gone. With Noel, I can see getting 8-9 wins if things unfolded perfectly. Without him, we need serious production from an unknown source. I suspect short passes to tight ends, a huge year from Newsome and a return to form for Ron Johnson are the places to look. Johnson is a wildcard. He was great year 1, slow and bulky year 2, trimmed down and yet ineffective year 3. I tend to think there just weren't any holes for him. Arkeel is slippery and makes something out of nothing, It seems like RJ was hurt more by how bad the line was. It will be big to see a dramatic improvement in the line that allows these guys to go out with a bang and restablish us as a team that beats people down.

I'm guessing 7 wins, but I'm going out on a limb with that because I have no idea who the QB is or how long it will take Lashlee to teach everyone his offense. Still, I'll assume BS comes back and we improve a lot. I don't think people should temper expectations too dramatically. The team needs to know we believe in them and the new staff. We should expect success because it will help them expect success. This year's team was truly a 6 win team and probably would have continued improving if they hadn't had the completely gut wrenching Diaco induced losses. They might have won 7-8 games with some cohesiveness and self confidence.

I'm all in on assuming we are pleasantly surprised next season. I realize I may be disappointed, but that's ok. I know we have better coaches and they will figure it out eventually. For now, I want to be excited for next season and I will presume that a better product will be on the field. At the same time, I am prepared to see slow improvement and accept that as well. Improvement and progress are my only true expectations.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  13. storrsroars

storrsroars Exiled in Pittsburgh

Six is certainly possible and not unreasonable. 4-3 at home vs a weak sked, 2-3 on road vs an even weaker sked.

At this point, playing in a crappy bowl vs a lower conference looks like the Super Bowl.

14. Marty Jackson

Marty Jackson

That may be true.... But it feels different. you don't get the feeling the coaches aren't out to win each game.
    I think Diaco got too caught up in winning his way. He would rather lose than give in.
    That cost us a lot of games.

UConnDan97 likes this.
  15. uconndogs

uconndogs

Diaco's recruiting scares the hell out of me. I really fear we have a whole bunch of size that doesn't run all that well. Sincerely hope I am wrong.

RSTuthill, sub legacy, jazyj and 2 others like this.
  16. noeynox

noeynox

I want to see what Skanes, Dixon, Herring, Hahn, etc look like. But yeah, he never impressed me either.

cttxus likes this.
  17. Excalibur

Excalibur

If you look at offers from other schools (including P5), the 2016 class was as good as any we've had. I just don't trust that Diaco had any clue when evaluating talent.

Stairmaster likes this.
  18. WingU-Conn

Right, but last year's team =/= next year's team.

Noel is gone. People thought Shirreffs was bad, what we got from DW was basically the worst QB play in the FBS. He could turn into a good player, but he's going to need time and much better coaching. Anything is possible, but I don't think we should expect to see that much improvement.

Size is good, speed is better. Hopefully Lashlee can bring in a dual threat QB with some speed to help move the chains.

uconnphil2016 likes this.
  19. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

This is a multi-year rebuild, but 2017 is a bubble season, in that we have a lot of senior starters. If BS were to come back, we could have 7 senior starters on O (Shirreffs, Newsome, Bloom, Myers, Rutherford, Vachery and Hopkins) and 8 senior starters on D (Bell, Summers, Joseph, Levenberry, Diggs, Carrezola, Fatukasi and Ormsby). The '18 season will be when the rebuild starts, with all of them gone and HCRE's first full recruiting class being true freshman.

So while I don't doubt the seriousness of the rebuild to come, 2017 has to be where we get a taste of success and at least see 6 or 7 wins. If we have a QB, I think that is possible.

20. WingU-Conn

Good points. I know he hasn't announced anything officially, but I won't believe BS is coming back until he says so. But IIRC those Seniors (depending on RS status) are on their 2nd or 3rd, HC, and 3rd or 4th OC/DC. It's hard to predict how they'll play in a new system on both sides with only this spring and summer to come together. Luckily, Edsall won't treat the first 3-4 games as pre-season.

I disagreed with playing Williams last year. Now that we have Lashlee, it's even worse. If Williams is going to come close to what Diaco said he could be it's probably in a system like Lashlee's; where he has a much better chance to show us what Diaco saw in him. Instead of 4 years with the new offense, he only gets 3.

-ing Diaco.

mikedog10 likes this.
  21. MattMang23

MattMang23 Contrarian

If we get a grad transfer or a JC QB, can we just redshirt DW this year? I don't know that there is a rule that your redshirt year must be your Freshman year.

22. FDNY99

FDNY99

They can redshirt DW if he doesn't play this year.

23. whaler11

whaler11 Kickoff: 11:11

This is how we end up in dark places mid-season.

Predicting 7 win seasons without even a clue of who the quarterback will be or if the offensive line can be more than marginally improved in one off season.

24. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

To be clear, I was not trying to make a prediction. I was trying to make the point that this was a somewhat unique situation for a rebuild in that (if we have a QB) we have a senior laden squad, with experience, where it may be much, much easier for a coach to win in year 1 than it will be to win in years 2 and 3.

Hoophound likes this.
  25. MattMang23

MattMang23 Contrarian

Good. That's what I thought. So, hopefully we can get a more experienced QB in here and give DW his lost year back.

26. MattMang23

MattMang23 Contrarian

Whoa whoa whoa, I predicted 9 wins, like all the Boneyard soothsayers did last year.

27. weyuo

weyuo

They still need someone that can throw the ball downfield with some accuracy and I didn't see that in Sherrifs or Williams. Lashlee can improve that though.

28. freescooter

freescooter

I heard from someone who has some connection with the athletic department over the holidays that Williams is much more talented than he showed and lots of people including Verducci were pretty upset that he was used the way he was when he was really unprepared. So maybe we will see something

cttxus likes this.
  29. sdhusky

sdhusky 1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year

30. Hoophound

Hoophound

This. It is unfair to predict an experienced team that has been a victim of unarguable coaching malpractice to suck. They have some good, veteran players and with coaching and game planning, they can be better than a total rebuild. Once those guys leave, who knows?

With a decent QB the potential is there to qualify for a bowl or a little better. I think we should support the expectation that they can be good, fill the seats and get this regime off on the right foot. I'll be happy, both if they are surprisingly good and if they show lots of improvement and only win a few games. However, last year, with awful coaching, bad luck, no punt returns and no offensive game plan, we won 3 games. Anyone expecting this staff to win 3 games this season is setting the bar too low. We need to get some excitement going to sell tickets. Biz is right, the following couple of years could be tough, but don't sell these guys too short. Rally around them and stay positive. I really want to see an excited and mostly full stadium to welcome this staff and team back on opening day. That will never happen if word on the street is, "it will take a few years".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.