Diaco on Boston College | The Boneyard

Diaco on Boston College

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was always amused with the narrative that if BC went to the ACC, that the school would have little to no political influence or power in a league allegedly run by the Tobacco Road school elements. I assume long timers here remember this claim, correct ? But then BC joins the ACC, and the narrative develops among many of the very same people that BC has such enormous political influence and power in the ACC that apparently they could prevail upon the other ACC Schools, including the Tobacco Road schools ,to " keep Uconn out of the ACC ". Well, you can't have it both ways it would seem to me. Either BC is a non factor in the ACC, or they have enormous political power and influence in the ACC sufficient enough to single handedly keep Uconn out of the ACC. In my opinion however, BC does not not wield anywhere near this degree of power and influence in the ACC as has been claimed in some quarters... including the writer of this article. If the ACC ( or any other P5 League for that matter ) wanted Uconn in its league, BC could not stop this at all in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurray... another BC schedule thread!!!!

83005076.gif

Reaction Score
I was always amused with the narrative that if BC went to the ACC, that the school would have little to no influence or power in a league allegedly run by the Tobacco Road school elements. I assume long timers here remember this claim, correct ? But then BC joins the ACC, and the narrative develops among many of the very same people that BC had enough influence and power in the ACC that apparently they could prevail upon the other ACC Schools, including the Tobacco Road schools ,to " keep Uconn out of the ACC ". Well, you can't have it both ways it would seem to me. Either BC is a non factor in the ACC, or they have enormous political power and influence in the ACC sufficient enough to single handedly keep Uconn out of the ACC. In my opinion however, BC does not not wield anywhere near this degree of power and influence in the ACC as has been claimed in some quarters... including the writer of this article. If the ACC ( or any other P5 League for that matter ) wanted Uconn in its league, BC could not stop this at all in my opinion.

There are several reasons that I won't rehash as to why UConn is not in the ACC. None of those reasons involve UConn as an academic or athletic institution.

It's too bad your school is intimidated by our potential in football if given access to a P5 schedule and money, but its certainly understandable based on our success in other sports.

Thanks for stopping by

Reaction Score
I wish the BC/ACC appologists wouldn't spend so much time on the UCONN message boards. Don't you people have your own board? Go spend time on your own board and stop being so sensitive!!!!!

Reaction Score
There are several reasons that I won't rehash as to why UConn is not in the ACC. None of those reasons involve UConn as an academic or athletic institution.

It's too bad your school is intimidated by our potential in football if given access to a P5 schedule and money, but its certainly understandable based on our success in other sports.

Thanks for stopping by

Well, I'm no defender of BC's former AD, his deeds, nor his words... as he was a jerk.

But if you are asking me which AD did more harm to the Uconn football program, the BC AD ( DeFilippo ) or the Uconn AD ( Hathaway ), I think if Uconn fans are honest with themselves, Hathaway did far more damage. The BC AD didn't hire the old retread, over the hill, former Syracuse fired Coach Paul Pasqualoni. Even Diaco was shocked when he arrived at how the old PP had run the Uconn football program right into the ground during his tenure.... and at an all important league realignment period too. So in my view, Uconn football fans should be far more PO'd by what the Uconn AD did, than anything said or done off the field up in Chestnut Hill by the former BC AD there. But thats just my 2 cents worth here too.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Well, I'm no defender of BC's former AD, his deeds, nor his words... as he was a jerk.

But if you are asking me which AD did more harm to the Uconn football program, the BC AD ( DeFilippo ) or the Uconn AD ( Hathaway ), I think if Uconn fans are honest with themselves, Hathaway did far more damage. The BC AD didn't hire the old retread, over the hill, former Syracuse fired Coach Paul Pasqualoni. Even Diaco was shocked when he arrived at how the old PP had run the Uconn football program right into the ground during his tenure.... and at an all important league realignment period too. So in my view, Uconn football fans should be far more PO'd by what the Uconn AD did, than anything said or done off the field up in Chestnut Hill by the former BC AD there. But thats just my 2 cents worth here too.

It takes almost zero extra energy to hate both. We are not lifting sacks of stone blocks here.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah it really does sound like Diaco couldn't care less about BC. Seems like he's more interested in developing AAC rivalries.

And yes, I absolutely despise Jeff Hathaway for the role he had in crushing our athletic department at the worst CR time.

Reaction Score
What is it that causes some people associated with the BY to have such a BC fixation? Asking BD about it in a news conference takes the cake. UConn is the top public university in NE by a long shot with two athletic programs (BB) that are at the top of their game. Enjoy it. FB is down and if it does not come back in a 2-3 years we have potential problems with funding, but a lot can happen in 2-3 years. Enjoy what we have and stop acting like teen aged boys pinning for the home coming queen. Where ever we are we will eventually develop a rival or two but it will be based on mutual dislike not a one sided hate that at times seems more like envy.

Reaction Score
John, I love that post but do me one favor will ya,/turn your head around when the ball is in the air. That is all.

Reaction Score
Sooner or later common sense will prevail and the game will happen. I'm not holding my breath waiting for it though.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
There are 13,985,404 questions to be asked of Bob Diaco - this is not on the list...Really, this is the question asked after the Memphis loss.

Reaction Score
Don't care one way or another if we ever play BC. Let's just beat SMU and avoid being further humiliated this season.

Reaction Score
Don't care one way or another if we ever play BC. Let's just beat SMU and avoid being further humiliated this season.

Nail. On. Head. Gotta take care of our own mess of a house before we start chirping again about BC.

Reaction Score

Yes, I agree that Hathaway absolutely did the most damage to UConn due to sitting on his laurels about most things, especially fundraising and compliance, and making 1 major, very horrendous hire in Coach Pasqualoni (its bad when the AD listens to clueless HS football coaches in a state where no more than 10 kids total gets D-1A football scholarships a year over educated college football insiders and a rival's school laughter when we hired their former, washed-up coach). Second, I would argue that Richard Blumenthal did the second most damage by making the lawsuit personal against BC and Miami. Everyone has sued everyone in conference realignment. That likely cost Miami's vote in any attempt in UConn joining the ACC. On the other side, BC, as you noted and the old BC AD DeFilippo admitted, the suit was just an excuse for BC to act like a good old Boston townie in keeping UConn out of BC's 'turf' instead of seeing the bigger picture in that any good college program is built around rivalries and BC and UConn would have been a good one and likely would have made both athletic departments better. Also, don't forget the other enemy that UConn had - NCAA President Emmert whose war against UConn (due the financial fiasco that was UConn 2000 that he managed and was called out on) and Calhoun (because Calhoun had the nerve to win a national title right after the Nate Miles suspension) hit UConn in the middle of realignment.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I hate BC as much as the next guy but there's an entire generation of UConn football fans who don't care one whit about BC and are probably even puzzled why this thread exists - this all happened before their time.

In 2014 : BC used to be a rival more than 10 years ago. Ancient history. Rutgers is a much more recent rival and even they are practically a distant memory.

We have no rival. We have no regional peer we long to beat because we have no regional peers. If football ever gets fixed, if we ever get out of this dumpster fire conference, rivalries will rekindle once again. Until then there isn't anyone that we actively care enough about to hate.

Reaction Score
Yes, I agree that Hathaway absolutely did the most damage to UConn due to sitting on his laurels about most things, especially fundraising and compliance, and making 1 major, very horrendous hire in Coach Pasqualoni (its bad when the AD listens to clueless HS football coaches in a state where no more than 10 kids total gets D-1A football scholarships a year over educated college football insiders and a rival's school laughter when we hired their former, washed-up coach). Second, I would argue that Richard Blumenthal did the second most damage by making the lawsuit personal against BC and Miami. Everyone has sued everyone in conference realignment. That likely cost Miami's vote in any attempt in UConn joining the ACC. On the other side, BC, as you noted and the old BC AD DeFilippo admitted, the suit was just an excuse for BC to act like a good old Boston townie in keeping UConn out of BC's 'turf' instead of seeing the bigger picture in that any good college program is built around rivalries and BC and UConn would have been a good one and likely would have made both athletic departments better. Also, don't forget the other enemy that UConn had - NCAA President Emmert whose war against UConn (due the financial fiasco that was UConn 2000 that he managed and was called out on) and Calhoun (because Calhoun had the nerve to win a national title right after the Nate Miles suspension) hit UConn in the middle of realignment.

Good points.. all. And I'd agree with all of them, for what its worth.

Reaction Score
I hate BC as much as the next guy but there's an entire generation of UConn football fans who don't care one whit about BC and are probably even puzzled why this thread exists - this all happened before their time.

If you talk to the older, pearl clutchers, out in Worcester region of Massachusetts, they are still angry that BC doesn't play Holy Cross in Football any more. Those here that know BC's football history, know that Holy Cross and BC were football rivals for over 50 years. The biggest football game of the year for these 2 Private, Catholic Universities was their last game of the season... against each other. BC doesn't schedule this Catholic, Massachusetts based, school in football any more either. ( probably because of its non FBS status... but BC has played non FBS schools out of its region since the long time football rivalry with Holy Cross ended ) In time, only the over 50 aged Uconn football fans will care about the goings on up at Chestnut Hill, the same as the older Holy Cross football fans that continuously pine for the old days .. or what could have been...do still do to this very day as well. But the younger generations at Holy Cross ? They don't pay no mine at all to what BC does these days. They've moved past that hate, or even a concern.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you talk to the older, pearl clutchers, out in Worcester region of Massachusetts, they are still angry that BC doesn't play Holy Cross in Football any more. Those here that know BC's football history, know that Holy Cross and BC were football rivals for over 50 years. The biggest football game of the year for these 2 Private, Catholic Universities was their last game of the season... against each other. BC doesn't schedule this Catholic, Massachusetts based, school in football any more either. ( probably because of its non FBS status... but BC has played non FBS schools out of its region since the long time football rivalry with Holy Cross ended ) In time, only the over 50 aged Uconn football fans will care about the goings on up at Chestnut Hill, the same as the older Holy Cross football fans that continuously pine for the old days .. or what could have been...do still do to this very day as well. But the younger generations at Holy Cross ? They don't pay no mine at all to what BC does these days. They've moved past that hate, or even a concern.

Until we get out of this Shiite show of a conference and start playing a recognizable form of 1A football, I'm thinking BC High or Xaverian might be a better rival for us

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Until we get out of this Shiite show of a conference and start playing a recognizable form of 1A football, I'm thinking BC High or Xaverian might be a better rival for us

The problem is we are the second worst shiite, according to the W/L records (you are what your record says you are) in this Shiite Show of a conference - be one thing if we were competitive(even though we hide our injuries for competitive advantage that doesnt seem to help us much - or not naming a starter - thats really fooling the opposition) to talk about getting out of it - could you imagine our losses if we were in the BIG10 - OMFG!

Reaction Score
When most Uconn football fans keep stating over and over again in public, and on messsge boards, and in newspaper columns, etc that they hate their current football conference ( but understandably so ) do potential football recruits hear this dislike for the conference ( called a " shiite conference", and worse ) that Uconn plays in, and by extension, may decide that they shouldn't then want to be in a school that plays in such a Conference they all hate there at the school as well ? Just asking, mind you. Are the very public complaints by Uconn fans with the AAC counterproductive to both short term and long term football program goals, in other words ? Does this effect the Uconn football recruiting in any way ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When most Uconn football fans keep stating over and over again in public, and on messsge boards, and in newspaper columns, etc that they hate their current football conference ( but understandably so ) do potential football recruits hear this dislike for the conference ( called a " shiite conference", and worse ) that Uconn plays in, and by extension, may decide that they shouldn't then want to be in a school that plays in such a Conference they all hate there at the school as well ? Just asking, mind you. Are the very public complaints by Uconn fans with the AAC counterproductive to both short term and long term football program goals, in other words ? Does this effect the Uconn football recruiting in any way ?
Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger