Diaco gets it | The Boneyard

Diaco gets it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
From the coaches show last night via the Courant: "I'd like to think that we can ask them to do jobs that suit them and have them be successful," Diaco said. "I don't know for sure whether they were being asked to do jobs that suit them. You'd like to think they would but I don't know that, so I'd hate to judge them based on that. "

That's what Belichick does. He works to put players in a position where they can succeed, where they can maximize what they do well. Not like the previous crew that set players up for failure then whined to their sycophants that "the cupboard was bare."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But what about the Prototypes!!!

Reaction Score
I saw that comment and was equally impressed by it. I am now much less worried about things like 3-4 vs 4-3. We'll get there eventually, but only as he gets guys who fit it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Seems to be a mark of a great coach.

Don't make the players fit the system, develop a system that fits the players.

We obviously had talent the past 3 seasons and while the QB play I think was going to limit our cieling, with good coaching we go bowling the past 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
I am not ready to anoint Diaco as a great coach before he coaches game one, but I usre think he'll be a good one. To me the first test will be how he handles the quarterback situation because I think he's going to see exactly what Pasqualoni, Weist et al saw. A big rangy kid who seems to have all the tools and a smaller, less athletic kid who is actually a superior quarterback. Not being fooled into thinking Boyle is the future because he's physically more imposing but realizing that the less "prototypical" Cochran can be it will be a key test, I think.

Reaction Score
I am not ready to anoint Diaco as a great coach before he coaches game one, but I usre think he'll be a good one. To me the first test will be how he handles the quarterback situation because I think he's going to see exactly what Pasqualoni, Weist et al saw. A big rangy kid who seems to have all the tools and a smaller, less athletic kid who is actually a superior quarterback. Not being fooled into thinking Boyle is the future because he's physically more imposing but realizing that the less "prototypical" Cochran can be it will be a key test, I think.
I'm thinking he saw that at ND with REES vs. Golsen vs. anybody else coming thru. He was in on the meetings as ASST HC. They had their share of QB discussions in those meetings plus he had to D up against them in practice.
Nothing like actual game though...Casey proved it.

Reaction Score
Psst guys.....

I really like this coach, I like his approach, I like everything about him. I'm energized about UCONN football, it sucks that it's 8 1/2 months again to another game, but there is a lot to do.

BUT: before we start with the Belichick comparisons.......

let's not forget over the next 8 months, that he has yet to coach his very first football game as a head coach.

I like his attitude, and he reminds of the kind of coach Bill Parcells wanted and I"ve commented on this already (and Belichick and all of his guys are like it to). I would bet anything that this guy Diaco wakes up every day, and makes a new list of things to get done, and all around him, everyday are lists and lists of things to get done, that are all prioritized. He just goes down the lists and crosses things off one by one. I would be anything that this guy works like that.

Until he coaches his first game, though, and gets the ball rolling in the W columns. I'll leave my comparison to some coaching greats at that.

Reaction Score

I share the same concern.. Coach D indicated that he will not be looking at film (he does not want to be negatively influenced by potentially seeing players being asked to do things they are not capable of), but wants to see the players in action in the Spring/Summer. I think this is a mistake, since there is no substitute for seeing at how players do under game conditions. Cochran is a must see! Maybe I took Coach D's comment too literally and he will look, but discount when he sees players being asked for more than they are capable of.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think it's fair to call Diaco a great defensive coordinator, as he's won the award before and came in second another year.

I don't think anybody is saying he's a great head coach, but his philosophy based on those quotes mirrors what NE and Bellichek have EXECUTED for years.

We'll see next fall how Diaco performs.

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to call Diaco a great defensive coordinator, as he's won the award before and came in second another year.

I don't think anybody is saying he's a great head coach, but his philosophy based on those quotes mirrors what NE and Bellichek have EXECUTED for years.

We'll see next fall how Diaco performs.

I believe he was an assistant head coach/defensive coordinator at ND, that being said he has somewhat of an idea on what its like to be a HC.

Reaction Score
Captain Obvious.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member