Diaco Clarifies Misconception About Winning | The Boneyard

Diaco Clarifies Misconception About Winning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here we go again. No, coach, there's no disconnect. Most of us understand exactly what you're saying. You're changing the culture. We realize that is what's needed.

But in between winning breakfast and winning lunch, could we maybe put a plan in place to stop their potential all-american running back, since we didn't bother doing that with an all-american QB?

Reaction Score
Here we go again. No, coach, there's no disconnect. Most of us understand exactly what you're saying. You're changing the culture. We realize that is what's needed.

But in between winning breakfast and winning lunch, could we maybe put a plan in place to stop their potential all-american running back, since we didn't bother doing that with an all-american QB?

It involves playing all 16 Linebackers within one series.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, he's just going to sound like a broken record until some more positive stuff starts happening.

Reaction Score
Not me, it's easy to be a cynical sharpshooter when someone is trying a different approach. One guy is busting his butt while another guy is saying, "You missed a spot over there."

I support Diaco 100% and I appreciate he's basically trying to be the opposite of PP. But at the end of the day he's a football coach and it's already getting old hearing about winning in life and winning by getting up early and going to the gym and everything else. That kind of talk should mostly be reserved for the team. The fans want to hear about how we're going to try to get a win on the football field against Boise State, not about how the team is winning by studying hard for their exam and getting a good night's sleep.

It's similarly irritating sometimes to hear KO constantly repeating that the basketball team will win games by "staying together and believing in one another and trusting one another" rather than getting into the X's and O's, but he just won a national championship in his first tournament so he's got license to say whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
Not me, it's easy to be a cynical sharpshooter when someone is trying a different approach. One guy is busting his butt while another guy is saying, "You missed a spot over there."

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time....

I'm still 100% behind the coach. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with all of his decisions. Or his ridiculous spin on preparation games. His goal wasn't to win the first three games. He's done everything but come out and admit that. What's even more ironic is that the title of this thread involves the word "misconception". If there's anyone that doesn't seem to grasp his strategy, it's the OP, who has taken people to task for stating the obvious. Diaco is treating these games as preseason games to evaluate talent, and his gameplan/strategy has been designed with that in mind.

If he hasn't changed that tactic, we might see Ajayi run for 200+. I believe we can evaluate, without getting embarrassed. We have 9 more games after Saturday. Plenty of opportunities to evaluate. Unless playing a true freshman for 3 games, and then sitting him the rest of the year accomplishes a whole lot.

Reaction Score
I bet Diaco never anticipated that he would actually have to take the time to address the question of whether or not he wants to win.
LOL, probably not, but then I never thought I'd hear him, or any head coach say the things he said after the BYU game. And I've seen coaches make boneheaded decisions before, after all I watched Pasqualoni for 2 1/2 seasons, but changing quarterbacks in the red zone when you needed a score for no apparent reason has to rank up there. Some of the stuff he says is fine for team consumption (win breakfast and lunch...hey if that is the goal I'm an All American Candidate) but really rubs the fans the wrong way. We don't really care whether players shave before class or not, quite honestly. We just want to win football games.

Reaction Score
LOL, probably not, but then I never thought I'd hear him, or any head coach say the things he said after the BYU game. And I've seen coaches make boneheaded decisions before, after all I watched Pasqualoni for 2 1/2 seasons, but changing quarterbacks in the red zone when you needed a score for no apparent reason has to rank up there. Some of the stuff he says is fine for team consumption (win breakfast and lunch...hey if that is the goal I'm an All American Candidate) but really rubs the fans the wrong way. We don't really care whether players shave before class or not, quite honestly. We just want to win football games.

Yeah. In that 47 second soundbite it would've been nice to hear the coach mention winning a dadgum football on Saturday.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Can we be interested in winning Saturday too? I mean, I like winning a Tuesday as much as the next guy, maybe more, but winning Saturday would nice too.

Reaction Score

When Florida won the NC in 2006, urban Meyer would use Chris Leak to drive down the field until he got into the red zone, then he would bring in Tim Tebow. It worked pretty well for him. I'm not comparing your players to that Florida team, but at some time you have to have some faith that the coach knows more about the players than the fans do. If not, you've got the wrong coach. I think Diaco is a good coach, as long as he isn't fired before his first season is over.

Reaction Score
I bet Diaco never anticipated that he would actually have to take the time to address the question of whether or not he wants to win.
And I never thought I'd hear a coach say the first three games of the season are preparation for the rest of the season.

He knows there is no preseason, but that didn't stop him from having one.

Reaction Score
When Florida won the NC in 2006, urban Meyer would use Chris Leak to drive down the field until he got into the red zone, then he would bring in Tim Tebow. It worked pretty well for him. I'm not comparing your players to that Florida team, but at some time you have to have some faith that the coach knows more about the players than the fans do. If not, you've got the wrong coach. I think Diaco is a good coach, as long as he isn't fired before his first season is over.
The only one talking about firing him is you.

Reaction Score
Yeah. In that 47 second soundbite it would've been nice to hear the coach mention winning a dadgum football on Saturday.

It's implied. If we're only focused on winning today, when today is Saturday, winning the game is part of winning on Saturday. When today is Tuesday, we need to win at going to class and practice and having a healthy 3 squares.

Yadda yadda yadda

Reaction Score
And I never thought I'd hear a coach say the first three games of the season are preparation for the rest of the season.

He knows there is no preseason, but that didn't stop him from having one.

LOL. Football coaches tend to have big egos. It was dumb to have said what he said in the media. What he's actually doing? Up for debate, but reality is that we're 1-1 with a loss to BYU, and win against Stony Brook, and we have the opportunity to be 2-1 after 3 games. If we're 2-1? if we're 1-2? after? there either will be questions about what we're actually doing or there won't. the game needs to be played.

For everybody's sake, let's all just realize that this is the last week of preseason. Once it's over, it's over, and it will be let go. I doubt it happens again. Diaco, doesn't strike me as someone that is poor at learning from mistakes, and saying that in the media - was a mistake.

Reaction Score
When Florida won the NC in 2006, urban Meyer would use Chris Leak to drive down the field until he got into the red zone, then he would bring in Tim Tebow. It worked pretty well for him. I'm not comparing your players to that Florida team, (yes you are) but at some time you have to have some faith that the coach knows more about the players than the fans do. (Thank you Captain Obvious) If not, you've got the wrong coach. I think Diaco is a good coach, as long as he isn't fired before his first season is over. (Nobody on this board has talked of firing him until you posted that)

Reaction Score
When Florida won the NC in 2006, urban Meyer would use Chris Leak to drive down the field until he got into the red zone, then he would bring in Tim Tebow.
So since Urban did it when he had a friggin' NFL draft choice and future Heisman Trophy winner, who were 2 very different styles of quarterback really, Diaco should do it? What are you, Diaco's mom? Good heavens, If we had Lweach and Tebow, its unlikely that we have brought in Diaco to coach them. Even Pasqualoni would have figured how to win 6-7 games with those guys.

And nobody is calling to fire him. Not a soul.

Reaction Score
The only one talking about firing him is you.

So as long as he's appropriately contrite regarding his prior statements, he can stay. And no one here wants him fired, they just want him to apologize for comments on whether or not he wants to win. And God forbid he plays too many players in a game. I'm sure that will make him very happy. All he needs now is a vote of confidence from the AD.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm not comparing your players to that Florida team, but at some time you have to have some faith that the coach knows more about the players than the fans do. .
You clearly have not spent enough time on our board. Most of our posters have turned down more D1 coaching gigs than Diaco has applied for. Several can trace their bloodlines to Knute Rockne. The only reason noone here took the HC job was because it wasn't a P5 gig.

Reaction Score
So as long as he's appropriately contrite regarding his prior statements, he can stay. And no one here wants him fired, they just want him to apologize for comments on whether or not he wants to win. And God forbid he plays too many players in a game. I'm sure that will make him very happy. All he needs now is a vote of confidence from the AD.

For some odd reason you care about Diaco a lot. You don't give a damn about our football program.

To the rest of us, the program comes first. We're all pulling for Diaco to succeed but at the same time we can disagree with his decisions and voice them here.

Given that you don't care about the program, you'll have to pardon me for taking your comments and insults with a large grain of academic fraud.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

You should really shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger