DFB Pokal and Bundesliga | The Boneyard

DFB Pokal and Bundesliga

Reaction Score
DFB Pokal starts today and the Bundesliga starts next week. I know most here are EPL fans but since I'm a captive audience I follow the Bundesliga exclusively.

Any thoughts headed into the season?

My Champions League picks:
Bayern München
Schalke
Dortmund
Mönchengladbach

Europe League:
Leverkusen
RB Leipzig
Stuttgart or Werder Bremen (if 3 qualify)

Relegation Battle:
Wolfsburg
Eintracht Frankfurt
Freiburg
Düsseldorf
Nürnburg

My boys Mainz 05 are AGAIN rebuilding after being gutted of their best players (a yearly occurrence) but they are spending some decent money on good young talent (I wish they would invest in an experienced trainer but they seem to like to promote from within). I think we'll start slow but get rolling headed towards the winter break. With some luck we could be just outside looking in on Europe, but if bounces go against us we could be flirting with relegation. That seems to be the story of the bottom 2/3 of the league; parity reigns and nerves are frayed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Bundesliga seems a bit juiceless to me this season. Bayern got rid of Vidal, one of my favorite players. It's almost MLS time for Robben. Lewandowski laid an egg in the World Cup. The rest of the league you can throw in a hat. This season, I'll basically be rooting for the team with the American on it.

In case you missed it, here's a decent read on the Bundesliga's American plans.

Reaction Score
I'll be watching since it's televised. Being an ATM and Spurs guy, I'll watch Bundesliga to watch our USMNT players. Curious to see if Sargent sees any field time this season!

Reaction Score
DFB Pokal starts today and the Bundesliga starts next week. I know most here are EPL fans but since I'm a captive audience I follow the Bundesliga exclusively.

Any thoughts headed into the season?

My Champions League picks:
Bayern München
Schalke
Dortmund
Mönchengladbach

Europe League:
Leverkusen
RB Leipzig
Stuttgart or Werder Bremen (if 3 qualify)

Relegation Battle:
Wolfsburg
Eintracht Frankfurt
Freiburg
Düsseldorf
Nürnburg

My boys Mainz 05 are AGAIN rebuilding after being gutted of their best players (a yearly occurrence) but they are spending some decent money on good young talent (I wish they would invest in an experienced trainer but they seem to like to promote from within). I think we'll start slow but get rolling headed towards the winter break. With some luck we could be just outside looking in on Europe, but if bounces go against us we could be flirting with relegation. That seems to be the story of the bottom 2/3 of the league; parity reigns and nerves are frayed.

I would love to see someone other than Bayern win the title. That would be exciting.

Did RB Leipzig lose a bunch of good players?

Reaction Score
Crazy that Eintracht Frankfurt, last year's cup winners, lost to SSV ULM 1846, a Regionalliga Southwest (4th division) team. Eintracht'sTimmy Chandler is out for six months after an operation to repair cartilage in his right knie. It took Bayern until the 81st minute to score against another 4th division club called SV Droctersen/Assel from a town of 11,000 people. Glad to see spsct's boys from Mainz advance to the second round. My boys from Bundesliga 2 Jahn Regensburg go out tomorrow against a 5th division team from some neighborhood in Leipzig. Hope Jahn takes care of business.

Reaction Score
I would love to see someone other than Bayern win the title. That would be exciting.

Did RB Leipzig lose a bunch of good players?
Yeah, and they're going with an interim coach this season until Nagelsmann comes over from Hoffenheim next year. I think the blush is starting to come off the rose a bit in Leipzig.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and they're going with an interim coach this season until Nagelsmann comes over from Hoffenheim next year. I think the blush is starting to come off the rose a bit in Leipzig.

RB Leipzig may be on the downward slide, but Chemie Leipzig is celebrating today. The 5th division (Oberliga NOFV-Süd) side beat my guys from Regensburg. Jann George did not dress for the game - I'll have to see if he is injured. At least George and Chandler at Eintracht Frankfurt can't be faulted for their teams' disasters this weekend. Tomorrow I will be checking on Greuther Fürth with Julian Greene and newly signed Shawn Parker when they meet BVB Dortmund and Pulisic tomorrow.

Reaction Score

Yeah and American Jesse Marsh is their Assistant Coach this year while he takes a hiatus from NY Red Bulls.

Reaction Score
RB Leipzig may be on the downward slide, but Chemie Leipzig is celebrating today. The 5th division (Oberliga NOFV-Süd) side beat my guys from Regensburg. Jann George did not dress for the game - I'll have to see if he is injured. At least George and Chandler at Eintracht Frankfurt can't be faulted for their teams' disasters this weekend. Tomorrow I will be checking on Greuther Fürth with Julian Greene and newly signed Shawn Parker when they meet BVB Dortmund and Pulisic tomorrow.
Bummer. I thought we were doomed when we went a man down 3 minutes into the match but I was impressed with how they controlled the game. Gives me hope for the season.

Reaction Score
Liepzig doesnt look as good as last season

Dortmund are missing a striker. Id like to see pulisic and Jordan Sancho on the wings

Reaction Score
Liepzig doesnt look as good as last season

Dortmund are missing a striker. Id like to see pulisic and Jordan Sancho on the wings

That Witsel for Dortmund is pretty good.

All of the Michael Bradley worshippers need to see that guy play to see what a good player in that position actually looks like.

Reaction Score
Pulisic gets fouled a ton. He’s also taking corner kicks for Dortmund now and had one that led to a goal.

Reaction Score
That Witsel for Dortmund is pretty good.

All of the Michael Bradley worshippers need to see that guy play to see what a good player in that position actually looks like.
That goal Witsel scored yesterday was a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
Pulisic with the SPECTACULAR assist early against Nurnberg, the subsquent goal was pretty amazing too. He could literally be their most important attacker at this point.

Reaction Score
They won 7-0. Dortmund is actually playing defense this season so they might give Bayern a run for their money.

Reaction Score
Picking up Delaney and getting rid of Sokratis have definitely helped.

Reaction Score
Yesterday in the 2. Bundesliga two Americans met when Jahn Regensburg played at Duisburg. Both had goals Joseph-Claude Gyau scored the lone goal for Duisburg and Jann-Christopher George successfully took the penalty shot when a teammate was taken down in the box. Jahn came out on top 1-3 for their third win in a week. The first was a 0-5 win at Hamburg where George also scored. He is two-footed (beidfüßig) and has been mostly playing right wing, but the last couple of games has been on the left. In the transfer market ratings he commands a higher price than Gyau or Julian Greene or any other American in the 2. Bundesliga. The only time I have seen that he was called into a US team camp was for the Under 19s or something like that back in 2011 or 2012. Anyone know if he has a problem with the USMNT staff? Next week he will play his old team, Greuther Fürth (he's also spent some time at 1860). Neither Greene nor American teammate Shawn Parker played in Greuther's game this weekend.

Reaction Score
Wood scored twice for Hannover and McKennie scored his first Bundesliga goal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom