Dez: UCONN Football Needs to Sustain Defensive Strength While Maturing On Offense for 2016 | The Boneyard

Dez: UCONN Football Needs to Sustain Defensive Strength While Maturing On Offense for 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How is your wheel FD?
Still bad Whaler...can't seem to shake this thing....hopefully it'll be gone in another week or 2. Thanks for asking

Reaction Score
UConn was 116th in the country in third-down success rate, converting 31 percent,

More important than a wide open offense is improving that stat and moving the chains. Someway, somehow they have to fix that. I hope the return to bowling and improved play helps with attendance.

Reaction Score
With all the P5 rumblings, whether it be the ACC, Big12, or B1G calling, we gotta clean up our offensive woes.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
With all the P5 rumblings, whether it be the ACC, Big12, or B1G calling, we gotta clean up our offensive woes.[/QUOTE

How much confidence do you have in Diaco and his coaching staff that next year will be much better? No matter how many playmakers, we need a better personnel in the O line and I am not sure we will see that next year.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Realistically our OL improvement, if any, will be slight to moderate... Drastic improvement is a long shot... So we'll have to see what that translates in to overall. Probably not a huge offensive improvement unless there is a conscious decision to open things up.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UConn was 116th in the country in third-down success rate, converting 31 percent,

More important than a wide open offense is improving that stat and moving the chains. Someway, somehow they have to fix that. I hope the return to bowling and improved play helps with attendance.

The problem with the third-down conversion rate is that it's somewhat meaningless without considering first and second down. It felt to me that more often than not, we were failing on third downs because we were somewhere between 3rd-and-5 and 3rd-and-10; often times because of a hold, a false start, or a little too much run-run-pass.

I think improving the 3rd down conversion stat will inevitably have to come from improving the OLine from a discipline standpoint and from a pass protection standpoint. If those things can happen, we won't be behind the chains so much on 3rd down...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Diaco's offense of possession football is dictated by the lack of offensive prowess. If the O line was solid and we had play makers, what would the offense look like? Iowa, Notre Dame or Houston?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Diaco's offense of possession football is dictated by the lack of offensive prowess. If the O line was solid and we had play makers, what would the offense look like? Iowa, Notre Dame or Houston?

My guess is Iowa with a more mobile quarterback and more play actions coming in the future.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

3rd and plus 7 will kill your conversion rate, if we insist on not being a high powered offense we need to put ourselves in third a manageable at worst in order to be successful.

Reaction Score
The problem with the third-down conversion rate is that it's somewhat meaningless without considering first and second down. It felt to me that more often than not, we were failing on third downs because we were somewhere between 3rd-and-5 and 3rd-and-10; often times because of a hold, a false start, or a little too much run-run-pass.

I think improving the 3rd down conversion stat will inevitably have to come from improving the OLine from a discipline standpoint and from a pass protection standpoint. If those things can happen, we won't be behind the chains so much on 3rd down...
I actually felt they were a little less predictable earlier in the year, i.e more passing on 1st and 2nd down. Toward the end of the year it looked like Deleone was calling plays again. I think some of that was that Shirrefs was banged up even before the concussion. When he went out, we went into a total shell but bottom line OL, needs to give the QB more time, have to have less 3rd and real longs, and have to improve that 3rd conversion rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom