Devon Daniels visiting San Diego State | The Boneyard

Devon Daniels visiting San Diego State

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Steve Fisher doesn't even coach there. Can Ollie close on anyone anymore?

I wouldn't read anything into this.

The only thing we have saying that he might have been an option was an Instagram post by Jalen.

Maybe UConn wasn't interested, maybe there was a transcript issue, maybe he was dismissed for selling all the copper piping on Utah's campus...there are no knowns here, only unknowns. Makes it tough to draw any conclusion.

Reaction Score
Steve Fisher doesn't even coach there. Can Ollie close on anyone anymore?
I know. I love KO. But wow to miss on Daniels and Jarreau is crazy. It's like they have to fall into our lap or it's not happening if we have any real competition.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I know. I love KO. But wow to miss on Daniels and Jarreau is crazy. It's like they have to fall into our lap or it's not happening if we have any real competition.

Are we even recruiting him? You can't miss a shot that you aren't interested in taking.

I get that things are a dumpster fire, but there's piling on, and there's piling on. Let's at least shoot for verifiably accurate.

Reaction Score
Didn't we have a couple of people on here saying it was pretty much a done deal and he would already be committed to Uconn?

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Didn't we have a couple of people on here saying it was pretty much a done deal and he would already be committed to UConn?

Yes, but these things tend to be an echo chamber - even bad info gets bounced around often enough to where it looks good.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
there are no knowns here, only unknowns. Makes it tough to draw any conclusion.

Are you, of all people, forgetting that this is the boneyard? Conclusions based on unknowns are our bread and butter. Especially during the off season.

Reaction Score
Hey if he wants some Tennessee treatment while checking out some of the best beaches in the country, can't fault him for that. If I were a D1 talent from Michigan, I'm visiting Georgia, Florida, Texas, at least the two Arizona publics, and at least a few SoCal privates before committing anywhere

Reaction Score
Didn't we have a couple of people on here saying it was pretty much a done deal and he would already be committed to UConn?
It's possible I'm forgetting someone's post but the only one I remember was one referencing good news soon, which turned out to be a visit (granted I don't think that happened either). Although for whatever reason there did seem to be a lot of buzz without much concrete info

Reaction Score
Are we even recruiting him? You can't miss a shot that you aren't interested in taking.

I get that things are a dumpster fire, but there's piling on, and there's piling on. Let's at least shoot for verifiably accurate.
Same poster had a meltdown a couple of weeks ago when Chill followed a juco kid on twitter, these days this board is basically a battle to see which poster can be more miserable than the next.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honestly, if Wilson comes, I don't think we are looking at Daniels. That's just a guess.

pj

Reaction Score
Great! Really like Daniels. I don't see why Daniels and Wilson would be mutually exclusive, they could play together. They want at least 4 shooting guard/scoring small forward types on the roster, and if Larrier leaves we'd have only Vital for 2018, so getting both would fill a need.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if Wilson comes, I don't think we are looking at Daniels. That's just a guess.

Could use both I think. I see Sidney as the 3 - wing guy while Daniels looks to have the combo guard/3 mix. Looks like Sid has 2-3 inches on him too and you know how informed I am on that Hawk!

Reaction Score
Staff trying to get him to visit possibly next week.

Yes, and this is what I posted back on May 2nd...I was then told in no specific order that I have no inside information because I was posting about possible "good news" on this front and that I was part of an "echo chamber" of bad information. The staff has been involved with this kid and I believe they will continue to recruit him with or without a Wilson commit. Some people on this board need to go away and not come back until the season starts. Recruiting isn't for the faint of heart.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Could use both I think. I see Sidney as the 3 - wing guy while Daniels looks to have the combo guard/3 mix. Looks like Sid has 2-3 inches on him too and you know how informed I am on that Hawk!

Yes, your mau-surements are legendary. I agree that they aren't the same player, but Daniels and Vital are certainly playing the same spot. With Wilson at the 3, and probably Polley too, I think Ollie can surmise that Vital will be limited (in the future, say 2018-19) to playing at the 2. There's no time at the 3 (especially if Larrier is still here). So Vital is competing for the same spot as Daniels. Given we'll also go 2 PG often, that really doesn't leave much room for a SG. I think he'd probably rather have a 2018 freshman SG.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, your mau-surements are legendary. I agree that they aren't the same player, but Daniels and Vital are certainly playing the same spot. With Wilson at the 3, and probably Polley too, I think Ollie can surmise that Vital will be limited (in the future, say 2018-19) to playing at the 2. There's no time at the 3 (especially if Larrier is still here). So Vital is competing for the same spot as Daniels. Given we'll also go 2 PG often, that really doesn't leave much room for a SG. I think he'd probably rather have a 2018 freshman SG.

Vital and Daniels are similar, but disagree that Wilson and Polley are primarily playing the 3 -- they'll be stretch 4s as much as 3s. So Vital and Daniels can play side by side with a point guard (Alterique, maybe Tremont) and a stretch 4 (Wilson, Polley), especially if they develop their combo guard/point skills, which they both have to some degree. Would be a really good uptempo team in any of those combinations.

Reaction Score
Vital a 1/2 (much more 2 if we get Waters), Daniels a 2/3, and Wilson a 3/4. Easily can all play together.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Vital and Daniels are similar, but disagree that Wilson and Polley are primarily playing the 3 -- they'll be stretch 4s as much as 3s. So Vital and Daniels can play side by side with a point guard (Alterique, maybe Tremont) and a stretch 4 (Wilson, Polley), especially if they develop their combo guard/point skills, which they both have to some degree. Would be a really good uptempo team in any of those combinations.

I'm not saying they can't play together or that we have abandoned interest. I'm simply saying that in terms of priorities, Wilson makes Daniels less of a need. Our focus may be elsewhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom