Devil's Advocate: What Could a Mature Dove Have Done? | The Boneyard

Devil's Advocate: What Could a Mature Dove Have Done?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Mandeldove, during his tenure at UConn, was, well... Mandeldove. Still, he showed some potential. His positional defense was solid and I recall one game where he blocked 5 shots in less than 10 minutes of PT. The guy seems to have really grown and gotten his act together, and for that, I applaud him. He has his undergraduate degree, is going for an MBA, and has already found success in the professional world. If he had the the same maturity, discipline, and drive while at UConn that he does now, how do you think his career could have gone? With Thabeet in the picture, my guess is that he would've had a redshirt season, most likely his sophomore year. That'd leave him with multiple seasons where I honestly believe he could've been talented enough to be our starting center, with Edwards/Oriakhi manning the 4.

I've watched videos of Dove playing professionally and while he was awkward, he wasn't terrible. Granted, the Peruvian League, WBA, and Montreal showcase aren't the pinnacle of basketball, but to even get to that level you have to have some skill. While I don't view him as being as much as a wasted potential case (obviously) as Nate Miles, Doug Wrenn, or Doug Wiggins, I think if he'd just grown up a little sooner, he'd not be remembered as a punchline.

Another note on the Dove - while he doesn't come off all that well in the CNN interview, he never blames anyone other than himself for his problems. He never threw UConn or anyone else under the bus. It's more than we can say for some other guys who shall remain nameless.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
There's only one Dove, sir. And, no, it's not me.

Reaction Score
Who are you advocating against in this scenario? Reality? You can't devil's advocate facts.

Reaction Score
My friend stepped out back of the Putnam laundry room to smoke a cigarette and Mandeldove wouldn't open the door to let him back in. Let's just say a lot of jawing at each other happened when they saw each other from that point forward.

Reaction Score
Mandeldove, during his tenure at UConn, was, well... Mandeldove. Still, he showed some potential. His positional defense was solid and I recall one game where he blocked 5 shots in less than 10 minutes of PT. The guy seems to have really grown and gotten his act together, and for that, I applaud him. He has his undergraduate degree, is going for an MBA, and has already found success in the professional world. If he had the the same maturity, discipline, and drive while at UConn that he does now, how do you think his career could have gone? With Thabeet in the picture, my guess is that he would've had a redshirt season, most likely his sophomore year. That'd leave him with multiple seasons where I honestly believe he could've been talented enough to be our starting center, with Edwards/Oriakhi manning the 4.

I've watched videos of Dove playing professionally and while he was awkward, he wasn't terrible. Granted, the Peruvian League, WBA, and Montreal showcase aren't the pinnacle of basketball, but to even get to that level you have to have some skill. While I don't view him as being as much as a wasted potential case (obviously) as Nate Miles, Doug Wrenn, or Doug Wiggins, I think if he'd just grown up a little sooner, he'd not be remembered as a punchline.

Another note on the Dove - while he doesn't come off all that well in the CNN interview, he never blames anyone other than himself for his problems. He never threw UConn or anyone else under the bus. It's more than we can say for some other guys who shall remain nameless.
I think we win in 6th OT if he plays.

Reaction Score
Just read the title so excuse me if I am repeating someone but he probably wouldn't make that stupid Cooley joke again.

Reaction Score
I was sure this thread was going to be about what would happen if Nadav (The Dove) Henefeld returned to UConn. Jonathan Mandaldove? Nobody called him the Dove. Had Henefeld returned, he would have been incredible.

I wasn’t around to watch Henefeld play. I am intrigued by him. Why didn’t he return to UConn?
What was his perception as a recruit? Did UConn know what they had in him? How good was he? What were his strengths and what was his potential had he stayed?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
My contention is basically that if he'd had his together back then, he had the talent to potentially be a solid role player before all was said and done. I didn't live in CT until '92, so the only time I saw Nadav Henefeld play was in the NCAA tournament in 1990. Mandeldove is the only Dove I really knew.

If you follow what he's done since his days playing at UConn, you'll see that he's matured a good deal and is now much more focused and productive. Basically I was saying I wish he could've been at that stage while on our team and pondering that, if he had been, how his UConn career could've gone.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Who are you advocating against in this scenario? Reality? You can't devil's advocate facts.

I'm not advocating for what he did when he played/rode the pine for us. That's impossible. I'm advocating the theory that if he'd had focus and a work ethic back then, he could've possibly had the talent to have been a net positive.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t around to watch Henefeld play. I am intrigued by him. Why didn’t he return to UConn?
What was his perception as a recruit? Did UConn know what they had in him? How good was he? What were his strengths and what was his potential had he stayed?

I’m sure there are more knowledgeable folks than me, but Nadav was a pure joy to watch. A bit cliche to say but a high basketball IQ. He was just always in the right spot...on offense - spacing was awesome and could always get open / and on defense he was unreal - the ability to anticipate - remember him being a steal machine. And it felt like he was the glue guy - did all the small things that bonded the team together. It’s too bad the pro league in Israel came calling so soon...would’ve been great to get one more year with him.

Reaction Score
He had a fantastic all around game and set the NCAA freshman record for steals, was on the all Big East team and Big East freshman of the Year. The two UConn players I would compare him to would be Daniel Hamilton and Caron Butler because of their well rounded games and Nadav was better than Hamilton.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It’s hard to explain, and he did have Burrell, and Smith and Tate, which helped. Imagine a shorter, more agile version of Larry Bird, minus the inside game. He had that knack for reading the passing lanes, rebounding, moving to open spots on the floor. He had 138 steals, and I don’t think most of them were the one on one, I stole the ball from you type. He just picked off passes relentlessly. He read the game incredibly well.

No UConn team has ever been more of a joy to watch than that one. Look at the stats. He averaged 3.7 steals a game, with Smith, Burrell and Tate combining for 5.9 more between then. The Lyman and Murray Williams each averaged 1 in limited minutes. As a team, 13 steals a game.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom