Developer plots mega-sports complex in W. Locks with stadiums, hotels, 500 jobs | The Boneyard

Developer plots mega-sports complex in W. Locks with stadiums, hotels, 500 jobs

Reaction Score
Developer plots mega-sports complex in W. Locks with stadiums, hotels, 500 jobs

>>A Connecticut-based sports management company has announced plans to build and operate a multi-sports complex in Windsor Locks featuring two roughly 6,000-seat stadiums, turf fields, retail space and hotels.<<

>>Under the plans, the developers have proposed to construct an indoor arena and outdoor stadium (between 5,000 to 7,000 seats), and 16 indoor basketball courts that can be converted into 32 volleyball courts. The sports venue would also house eight synthetic turf fields for soccer, lacrosse, flag football, softball and field hockey.

The plans also feature dormitories to house teams participating in ASV events, a 70,000-square-foot convention room, a fitness center, an entertainment center, sports related medical offices, restaurants, two hotels, a movie theater and retail venues.<<

Reaction Score
Why in the world would Windsor Locks need two 6,000 seat stadiums for amateur sporting events

>>JABS officials in a statement said the state-of-the-art complex would "draw athletes and their families from around the country to participate in our tournaments."

"The Windsor Locks location is ideal for this facility with easy access to Bradley International Airport, major highways and the numerous amenities in the surrounding area," JABS said.<<

Reaction Score
I'm sure it will be very popular for 3-4 years. Then things will start to break, ownership will cut corners, it will become a dump and then they'll go out of business. That's the story of almost every one of these sports complexes I have ever been to

Reaction Score
I'm sure it will be very popular for 3-4 years. Then things will start to break, ownership will cut corners, it will become a dump and then they'll go out of business. That's the story of almost every one of these sports complexes I have ever been to

Example?

Reaction Score
The article says it’s the first facility of its kind in the US...I have no idea why anyone would throw money at something that big and 2 hotels? Lol

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not a great sign. These sorts of projects get green-lighted at peaks in the economy.

Reaction Score
The article says it’s the first facility of its kind in the US...I have no idea why anyone would throw money at something that big and 2 hotels? Lol

and the first Q that needs to be asked is why hasn't someone built a facility such as this? Money has been thrown at sports in the past 2 decades in irrational ways, but up until no one saw the future and no one saw it in Windsor Locks, CT?

If CT has money lying around for sports complexes, I sure hope it is giving preferential treatment to the flagship U.

Snooky Nook has a guaranteed tenant and therefore guaranteed draw throughout the year. But if SN is comparable then this is not the first; in fact it wont be the 6K stadium for baseball in the state.

Reaction Score
There is a massive sports/retail/hotel development about 30 miles north of Atlanta that is beautiful and has brought with it hotels and restaurants, but it's just not making money itself. Just filed for bankruptcy to restructure its debt, and that's in a good economy. It's a hard concept to monetize because Perfect Game Baseball, for example, doesn't have that kind of cash to throw around.

Here's a link to the recent bankruptcy story that describes some of the risks of this type of project:
Bankruptcy means wake-up call for field of dreams at Cobb-Bartow line

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s an interesting concept.

I don’t know how feasible it is, but youth sports are out of control and this sort of venue would no doubt attract some level of interest.

Whether that would be enough, I have no idea.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you the market that is out of control (not that it's the best fit for this) but the 20-30 year old market for organized sports is insane in CT. For any of the younger crowd on here, you know what I'm talking about. What started as WAKA (World Adult Kickball Association), yes I swear this is a real thing...has now turned into Club WAKA where they have leagues with hundred and hundreds of participants every night of the week playing kickball, flag football, sand volleyball, dodgeball, etc. etc. You name it and they're doing it. I'm still amazed that WAKA hasn't built some kind of complex in CT where they can house all of these events. It's huge and seems to be growing and from what I understand pretty much every session of every sport offered "sells out" and there's limited availability.

Now I don't see how this helps two 6,000 seat stadiums, but I'm just bringing up that if there is a market in CT that's strong, this is it. Honestly, WAKA would probably kill it with some kind of complex like the one that used to be in Vernon (only for baseball/softball) because they could use fields for all of their different sports.

Reaction Score
The first place that comes to mind is that place off of 84 near Vernon
You knew that place was financially dicey from the start when they even charged the players $1 to get in. Great memories of being 20-something and quick, though.

Reaction Score
My client who's building a softball park in Windsor with 11 fields might not be too happy about this.
Fast Pitch Study 2-13-18 reduced.jpg

Reaction Score
Spire Sports in Northeast Ohio.

Home | SPIRE Institute

Check it out.

This concept could actually work. Almost all the tournaments are elsewhere than the northeast for lack of venues. If you have a tourney every weekend, the hotels will fill easily.

US Olympic teams train there, we're always down there for soccer games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
>>JABS officials in a statement said the state-of-the-art complex would "draw athletes and their families from around the country to participate in our tournaments."

"The Windsor Locks location is ideal for this facility with easy access to Bradley International Airport, major highways and the numerous amenities in the surrounding area," JABS said.<<

Thanks, I did read the article, but why in the world would they need two 6,000 seats venues? I mean, Gampel seats 10,000 for two national championship winning programs and has had attendance difficulties in recent years.

Reaction Score
The first place that comes to mind is that place off of 84 near Vernon
I loved playing there. Concessions and lights! But that was not exactly a financial failure story. From what I've heard the guy who built it sold it for millions to a developer who was going to put up a big box store...which never happened.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Different concept, but anybody been to Baseball Heaven in Long Island?

Reaction Score
"20-30 year old market for organized sports is insane in CT"
What could possibly be their objectives? ;)

From the article, "New York developer Andrew Borgia, principal of JABS (Sports Management LLC) who has two sports complexes in the state...". They also have a Cheshire office address.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom