OT: - Destiny Slocum finds right fit at Oregon State | The Boneyard

OT: Destiny Slocum finds right fit at Oregon State

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To get some sense of the personality playing point guard for Oregon State, consider how Destiny Slocum's academic year began: with thousands of freshman faces staring back at her while she addressed an orientation event in September.

A transfer from Maryland who sat out last season, Slocum had yet to play a game for the Beavers when she was selected to speak on behalf of the school's athletic teams in what amounted to a pep rally. She had the personality to excite people, a confidence that radiated energy outward rather than absorbed it inward.

[Article]

A good read. Oregon State is a team UConn may see in the post season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Thanks Scoop for posting. I'm such a homer for OSU Beavers, that I don't want to wear out my welcome on the Boneyard. We'll see how the Beavers look in the next week, as they roll into some very challenging games. I have only missed one home game, but I can tell you Destiny Slocum is enjoying her new team. Here is an excerpt from another article just posted:

"I don’t care who they’re playing. That’s Kat Tudor being spoon-fed a wide open triple! I hope an after basket cutaway catches Scott Rueck just smiling at some point this season at the absurdity of some of the lineups he’s going to be able to trot out there. Tudor, Katie McWilliams and Aleah Goodman were 40+% 3-point shooters last year without a distributor of Slocum’s caliber around. Mikayla Pivec and Taya Corosdale were above average, and are now sure bets to get even more open looks.

Slocum has looked fantastic. Even the finest and most talented defenses in the country will have serious problems sticking in a man-to-man without ceding a boatload of open threes. And if Slocum begins hitting this shot on a regular basis, OSU is headed to Tampa."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thanks Scoop for posting. I'm such a homer for OSU Beavers, that I don't want to wear out my welcome on the Boneyard. We'll see how the Beavers look in the next week, as they roll into some very challenging games. I have only missed one home game, but I can tell you Destiny Slocum is enjoying her new team. Here is an excerpt from another article just posted:

"I don’t care who they’re playing. That’s Kat Tudor being spoon-fed a wide open triple! I hope an after basket cutaway catches Scott Rueck just smiling at some point this season at the absurdity of some of the lineups he’s going to be able to trot out there. Tudor, Katie McWilliams and Aleah Goodman were 40+% 3-point shooters last year without a distributor of Slocum’s caliber around. Mikayla Pivec and Taya Corosdale were above average, and are now sure bets to get even more open looks.

Slocum has looked fantastic. Even the finest and most talented defenses in the country will have serious problems sticking in a man-to-man without ceding a boatload of open threes. And if Slocum begins hitting this shot on a regular basis, OSU is headed to Tampa."

You don't have to convince the BY how dangerous Slocum is. She was a nightmare for us at MD including 3's.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As long as Rueck is still coaching at OSU it seemingly doesn't matter how good his recruiting class is, his teams will be competitive. Give him talent and he's a FF contender. It's no big secret that Scott has few if any detractors on this board and quite a few fans.

Reaction Score
Before OSU heads to Tampa, they will need to prove that they are the best team in Oregon first.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Before OSU heads to Tampa, they will need to prove that they are the best team in Oregon first.
With the regional in Rueck land they've a good shot. Plus as a coach, and don't get me wrong I like Kelly, but I just think Scott is better once the whistle blows.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You don't have to convince the BY how dangerous Slocum is. She was a nightmare for us at MD including 3's.
True. However, some of those threes came when the game was already decided. Slocum is a very good player and I would not like to see UConn play OSU with a two point lead near the end of the game, the clock running out, and Slocum with the ball. Yes, she is dangerous.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
True. However, some of those threes came when the game was already decided. Slocum is a very good player and I would not like to see UConn play OSU with a two point lead near the end of the game, the clock running out, and Slocum with the ball. Yes, she is dangerous.
Heck, even from 75 ft away. :eek:

Reaction Score
This kid is tremendous, in every way. What a basketball player. Coach Rueck is teaching her how to play defense, and, she has taken it to heart. Her offensive skills are unreal, but I am impressed with how hard she is playing on the defensive end. Destiny clearly got the memo, that if you don't play defense, you don't play.

Reaction Score
One aspect of her game that she has also brought to Oregon St. is the drive and kick out. That did not exist last season. I was pretty hard on the PG and ball handlers last season because of that. One player who's over all game has really benefited from that has been Pivec. For most of last season on her drives she would get trapped under the basket resulting in turnovers. That was the usual cause of her high turn over numbers. For someone who had not played the point, she just did not have anyone to emulate. Wiese while a good shooting guard was not a very good ball distributor.

Often when a player shows a weakness in their game the question is if it is correctable. In Pivecs case both her lack of kick outs on her drives and her focus on half the court were. The ball movement at Oregon St seems to have improved considerable. I always noticed that last season they were not making optimum use of their excellent out side shooters. I think the key to passing and hitting the open player is not to wait until passing is your only option left, but passing when it becomes your best option. You can have good passing skills and even good floor vision, but until that aspect becomes second nature you can not be a good distributor or solid player.

Lotrader-- I think your assessment of this being Pivecs year to shine might have been correct, if not perhaps exclusively for the reasons you gave. I believe this might be a " light coming on " season for her to unlock her potential for a transition to the next level.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom