Destinee Walker to UNC | The Boneyard

Destinee Walker to UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WBB: Isn't that one of the places where you don't have to go to class and other people take tests for you?
I mean, for those that don't really care about getting educated, probably a "lay up." But, I don't know anything about this specific girl.

HGN

Reaction Score
UNC will always be able to attract good recruits with that beautiful campus , location , and BB tradition. They haven't won any WCBB NC's in recent years but they have been there before. So when they land a DD, Walker , etc , I am not totally surprised. Recruits like different things. Some want location ; some want guaranteed PT. They can choose maybe a UNC.

And then there are those that want to be challenged. Or those that want to be pushed to be the best that they can be as a player by coaches with a track record for getting the best out of a player...... Those types of players go to UCONN.
It's not easy to be the Best. It takes great talent in the player. Great effort by the player. Great Determination . And a great coach to get that player to turn that talent into a skill set..... You can find talent all over the country.

But there is only ONE(1) place on earth where you can find a coach of WCBB with NINE(9) Championships to show that he knows how to take talent and turn it into a killer skillset on a consistent basis. And that place isn't south of the Mason-Dixon line.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
They just prefer street ball.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UNC will always be able to attract good recruits with that beautiful campus , location , and BB tradition. They haven't won any WCBB NC's in recent years but they have been there before. So when they land a DD, Walker , etc , I am not totally surprised. Recruits like different things. Some want location ; some want guaranteed PT. They can choose maybe a UNC.

And then there are those that want to be challenged. Or those that want to be pushed to be the best that they can be as a player by coaches with a track record for getting the best out of a player. Those types of players go to UCONN.
It's not easy to be the Best. It takes great talent in the player. Great effort by the player. Great Determination . And a great coach to get that player to turn that talent into a skill set..... You can find talent all over the country.

But there is only ONE(1) place on earth where you can find a coach of WCBB with NINE(9) Championships to show that he knows how to take talent and turn it into a killer skillset on a consistent basis. And that place isn't south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Well said

Reaction Score

And then there are those that want to be challenged. Or those that want to be pushed to be the best that they can be as a player by coaches with a track record for getting the best out of a player. Those types of players go to UCONN.

Are you implying some players take the path of least resistance?:D:)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There was an era, not long ago, when UNC dominated women's soccer in a manner similar to UConn's current and recent dominance of wcbb. The same questions about recruiting (e.g., "Why doesn't every good player want to go to UNC?") prevailed, just as we hear them now about UConn wcbb. Some wise person explained it about UNC:

"There are two kinds of soccer players: Those that want to go to UNC and those who want to beat UNC."

That explains why even Geno doesn't reel them all in.

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Also, there are some who want to play, and some who want to play, but want to prioritize working to get better ahead of minutes.

I had the opportunity of a free ride to one school, where I would go in as the top player - I chose, instead, to go to a conservatory where I would have to work my way up from the bottom, and I know I made the right decision, and I am a better musician for it.

I am not saying that they won't work on basketball skills at UNC, but it will not be the same as working at UConn, not by a long shot.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The NCAA needs to expand the roster limit to 40 so that UCONN can get more of the top recruits.
Heck, I can't remember the last time UConn had maxed its' roster limit: 2001 was close. Geno is on record, I believe, as advocating fewer schollies. It's not like Alabama football, in the old days, where Bear Bryant would recruit a kid, knowing that he'd likely never need him - but, didn't want some other school to get him. That's why 'Bama used to dress nearly a 100 players for home games.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

Hate to rain on your parade, but here's heavy dose of reality: In September of 2003, highly recruited Laura Harper, after initially announcing her intentions to attend UConn, changed her mind and went to Maryland. And she took fellow recruit Crystal Langhorne with her. And after being injured her freshman year, came back and won a National Championship. At the same time, UConn went four years without a NC. It took the great Maya Moore to put UConn back on top. You can say what you want about Brenda Friese and Maryland, but you can never take away that 2006 National Championship. My point is, not every top recruit wants to come to UConn, and I'm one of the few UConn fans who prefers competition to blowouts.

Stars elude orbit of UConn and Tennessee Willingboro's Crystal Langhorne and Cheltenham's Laura Harper chose Maryland.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Probably the curriculum.

WBB: Isn't that one of the places where you don't have to go to class and other people take tests for you?
I mean, for those that don't really care about getting educated, probably a "lay up." But, I don't know anything about this specific girl.

I find this board to be very harsh when it comes to UNC

Thats one of the reasons why

very happy.gif

:p

Reaction Score

Great commentary HGN. Particularly the part about recruits looking for guaranteed PT. I am pretty sure many of the top recruits are afraid of Geno/UConn because the thought of HS "stars" having to work mad hard to earn freshman minutes is new and frightening. Geno and CD promise nothing- playing time is earned. If I read the stats correctly, as freshmen, consensus number 1 recruit Breanna Stewart started only 14 of 39 games; the number 2 recruit, Moriah Jefferson, started just 2 of 39 games; and number 1 recruit KLM started 1 of 38 games (this one really surprised me).

It takes special young women to welcome the challenges of Geno. and almost always they become better because of it.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Still the only team I've seen lay a whipping on UConn was UNC; and they did it in our house.

I don't know if a 16 point loss to Michigan State in 2005 at the Civic Center qualifies as
a whipping, but UConn was never in that game.

UConn lost 8 games that year, and in 7 of them I felt at some point that UConn might
come back to win. I never had that feeling in the MSU game. They controlled the game
from start to finish.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I love how everyone who doesn't go to UCONN doesn't want to be challenged. You do realize we only have 15 scholarships. And the vast majority (of even the good players) don't get an offer.

Don't forget, by choosing another school they are not hard workers and are prima donnas who want to be the "star" and aren't willing to be a team player.

JS

Reaction Score
Good heavens no. How can you say that?

There were no tests in the fake classes. You turned in one paper.

And judging by the quality of the only such paper made public, no academic advisor, even under oath, would ever admit to having written it for the athlete student.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul