Desparate need for 2 juco OL's | The Boneyard

Desparate need for 2 juco OL's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diaco has 14 recruits coming in. None who were recruited by P-5 teams. That's OK in the long run, as, like RE did, these kids will be built up to compete. But, that will take 2-3 years.
We have no incoming OL's yet. If we get only HS OL's it'll take the same 2-3 years to get them up to snuff. We can't wait that long.
Watching ECU clobber UNC yesterday, the announcer mentioned the troubles ECU had with their OL last year.
They solved this with 2 juco OL's. We need to do the same.
We have 2 upcoming games with UMass, and 1 game with Villanova. UMass gave Vandy trouble last week. 'Nova took Syracuse to OT a few weeks ago. With our OL, we just might lose 1 or two of these upcoming games. Should this happen it will set the program back so far that no P-5 conference will look at us.
We need to fix this OL problem. The only way I see this is multiple juco OL's that can play.
If ECU can do this, than so should we. Otherwise, Cinn. UCF, and even ECU (W/O a good hoop program) might beat us out of a P-5 birth.

Reaction Score
Only two?

OK. So who on this board knows enough about junior college football to suggest where we should start looking?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree we need a couple of guys we can bring in to compete for spots. May the best men win. Was kind of surprised to see Hashemi moved to TE given our lack of production at OL.

Reaction Score
Only two?

OK. So who on this board knows enough about junior college football to suggest where we should start looking?
You never want to overload with juco's. Two is enough, even though this OL needs 5 ready OL's. You could invite trouble with 5 juco's.
Hopefully our coaching staff is up to snuff on juco OL's. If not they are asking for more losses.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
While I agree that more OLs are needed, I don't get the implication that ECU's success is based on the addition of 2 JUCOs. ECU has 17 offensive lineman, 8 of whom are Juniors/Seniors. Even without those 2 JUCOs, they would most likely be fine. Their OLs have the experience to learn from their mistakes just like our OL needs.

Reaction Score
Diaco has 14 recruits coming in. None who were recruited by P-5 teams. That's OK in the long run, as, like RE did, these kids will be built up to compete. But, that will take 2-3 years.
We have no incoming OL's yet. If we get only HS OL's it'll take the same 2-3 years to get them up to snuff. We can't wait that long.
Watching ECU clobber UNC yesterday, the announcer mentioned the troubles ECU had with their OL last year.
We have 2 upcoming games with UMass, and 1 game with Villanova. UMass gave Vandy trouble last week. 'Nova took Syracuse to OT a few weeks ago. With our OL, we just might lose 1 or two of these upcoming games. Should this happen it will set the program back so far that no P-5 conference will look at us.
We need to fix this OL problem. The only way I see this is multiple juco OL's that can play.
If ECU can do this, than so should we. Otherwise, Cinn. UCF, and even ECU (W/O a good hoop program) might beat us out of a P-5 birth.

Agree totally with your post Yonick, had the same thoughts several weeks ago and would be shocked if HCBD doesn't shore up the beef with mid year JC transfers. .My thoughts didn't stop at just 2 transfers given the possibility of injury and would go for 4 to 6 to ensure depth for the next 2 years until the PUPS can grow to BIG DOG stature in size, maturity and temperament. HCBD has a good model in his coaching tree roots from hayden fry. The transfers get him closer to his long term goal without sacrificing short term objectives.

C

Chief00

Another route is 5th seniors if no prior redshirt.

Reaction Score
Watched Villanova yesterday (son is a recent grad) and I'm telling you we would love to have their OL and QB playing for the Huskies. I hope we improve enough in the next 12 months to compete with them (a sad statement). That level is full of players that transferred from bigger programs (see Towson, Hofstra, etc...). Does anyone know the constraints keeping players from transferring up? Are coaches not allowed to contact players? Have to find a few guys who can play from every available resource.

Reaction Score
Watched Villanova yesterday (son is a recent grad) and I'm telling you we would love to have their OL and QB playing for the Huskies. I hope we improve enough in the next 12 months to compete with them (a sad statement). That level is full of players that transferred from bigger programs (see Towson, Hofstra, etc...). Does anyone know the constraints keeping players from transferring up? Are coaches not allowed to contact players? Have to find a few guys who can play from every available resource.

They would have to sit out a year, unless graduating with eligibility and taking a degree course work that their previous school does not offer.

Reaction Score
I have to think they are looking for JUCOs. I have not seen anything to give me optimism for next year regarding the O Line. The hope obviously is that another year in the weight room helps, but this is a very bad offensive line. Missed assignmemts, poor technique, and consistently losing one on one matchups.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Another route is 5th seniors if no prior redshirt.

I'd much rather go this route than JUCO. More ready to play and battle tested. Look at BC's turnaround since going the 5th year route. From horrendous to 7 wins last year and likely 7+ wins this year. No reason UCONN can't find 1 or 2 5th year OLs to add some needed quality depth.

Reaction Score
JUCO's typically = grade problems = won't happen at UCONN.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
2vhx1fd.jpg

I agree with you, except let's stay away from Butler CC.

Reaction Score
But just how do you recruit a 5th year transfer? You can't contact them.
Has Hashemi seen the field yet?
We also need a JUCO or 5th year transfer at QB.

Reaction Score
But just how do you recruit a 5th year transfer? You can't contact them.
Has Hashemi seen the field yet?
We also need a JUCO or 5th year transfer at QB.

Something tells me either he got hurt in practice or they've decided to groom him to be an OT. I don't think he's seen the field yet.. to me, it's probably best... get him ready for 2015....

Reaction Score
When you look at the OL depth, UConn is only losing 2 seniors after this season Cruz and Mateas. There are a large number of scholarship OL on the roster including 4 freshmen (if you include Hashemi), 3 RS freshmen, and 3 RS sophomores. In addition, there a couple of young walk-ons. It looks like there are bodies to develop. As for seniors for next year, there are two RS juniors and one junior on the roster.

Thus, barring attrition, I would guess they will bring in 3 OL this year.

The key to the OL going forward is time. They need more experience and development.

Reaction Score
If Foley is the miracle worker some have professed he is then he might want to start working some of those miracles in pretty quick. He's had these guys by himself all winter, spring and summer and it looks like the lot of them just showed up on campus yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom