Depth for 2015-16 | The Boneyard

Depth for 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
What's great about all this hype surround Gibbs, Miller, Adams, etc. is that we forget about guys like Kentan Facey and Omar Calhoun.

Both were originally Top 100, 4 star recruits with NBA ceilings. If Omar can stay healthy, and regain any of his Freshman form, think how good he can be as a senior next year.

Also
PG Adams
SG Cassell Jr.
SF Calhoun
PF Facey
C Enoch/Nolan
would be starting 5 material for a lesser D1 school, and that's our friggin bench.

What do you think Calhoun and Facey's roles will be like next year/how good can they be?

Reaction Score
Seems like Miller will take Facey time, unless Kentan gains 25 pounds and becomes an offensive threat down low this offseason. Gibbs plays both the PG and SG and with Rodney pretty assured, Cassell seems odd man out for PT. KO is loyal to Phil, only God knows why but if Enoch can show something Phil's PT is in jeopardy. Players transfer without PT but they have to show something. Calhoun plays off the bench as I see it, he has limited mobility maybe from injuries but hopefully he supplies a good 3 ball. Facey and Calhoun will never smell the NBA.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Seems like Miller will take Facey time, unless Kentan gains 25 pounds and becomes an offensive threat down low this offseason. Gibbs plays both the PG and SG and with Rodney pretty assured, Cassell seems odd man out for PT. KO is loyal to Phil, only God knows why but if Enoch can show something Phil's PT is in jeopardy. Players transfer without PT but they have to show something. Calhoun plays off the bench as I see it, he has limited mobility maybe from injuries but hopefully he supplies a good 3 ball. Facey and Calhoun will never smell the NBA.
Totally agree. If Calhoun gives us 7 points off the bench, that would be huge.

Reaction Score
Sam will play as a fourth guard, which could still amount to about 15 mpg. Kentan I believe will get the same, maybe a little more as the 3rd choice front court player. Omar 10-15 unless he proves to be a knock down shooter, which he could garner up to 20 mpg.

Reaction Score
Sam will play as a fourth guard, which could still amount to about 15 mpg. Kentan I believe will get the same, maybe a little more as the 3rd choice front court player. Omar 10-15 unless he proves to be a knock down shooter, which he could garner up to 20 mpg.
Between SG, RP and DHAM you have 90 minutes and then thrown in JA 25 minutes I only see 5-10 tops for both Omar and Sam Cassell. I don't think Sam will play much unless it is early season blowout. There is just too much of downgrade when you are going from out top 4 guard/wing guys to Omar and Sam Cassell for them to get many minutes.

Reaction Score
200 total court minutes
30 Gibbs
35 DHam
30 Purvis
25 Miller
25 Brimah
15 (minimum) Jalen

That leaves 40 minutes between Jr, Omar, Enoch, Phil, Kentan. I'd like to see Enoch playing 15, hoping for 10ish solid minutes for Omar, leaving 15 for Jr, Facey and Phil.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. If Calhoun gives us 7 points off the bench, that would be huge.
huh? for omar calhoun to average 7 pts a game in a reduced role coming off the bench, more bad than good will have to happen for uconn. there may be games when he gets 7, but i can't see how on this roster omar coming off the bench and scoring that much. sorry.

Reaction Score
200 total court minutes
30 Gibbs
35 DHam
30 Purvis
25 Miller
25 Brimah
15 (minimum) Jalen

That leaves 40 minutes between Jr, Omar, Enoch, Phil, Kentan. I'd like to see Enoch playing 15, hoping for 10ish solid minutes for Omar, leaving 15 for Jr, Facey and Phil.

I don't see Brimah getting 25 minutes in the majority of the games, especially against harder competition. That of course being for his perpensity to commit copious amounts of fouls.

Reaction Score
Jalen is playing more than 15 minutes a game. D Ham will play in the 30s, but probably not 35. Minutes at the 8-10 spot may be hard to come by, but there could be different lineups for different teams (small lineups v. big lineups). I'm pretty excited to see a JA, RP, SG, RP, and SM lineup when we go really small. That lineup can get buckets.

I love the versatility of next year's team. Something we did not have last year.

Reaction Score
Jalen is playing more than 15 minutes a game. D Ham will play in the 30s, but probably not 35. Minutes at the 8-10 spot may be hard to come by, but there could be different lineups for different teams (small lineups v. big lineups). I'm pretty excited to see a JA, RP, SG, RP, and SM lineup when we go really small. That lineup can get buckets.

I love the versatility of next year's team. Something we did not have last year.
I agree. Don't anyone sleep on Jalen. This kid is going to make it awfully difficult for Ollie to take him off the floor.

caw

Reaction Score
Last season:

Boat averaged 35
Hamilton averaged 31
Purvis averaged 28
Brimah averaged 26
Facey and Samuel around 20

caw

Reaction Score
Last season:

Boat averaged 35
Hamilton averaged 31
Purvis averaged 28
Brimah averaged 26

Last season:

Boat averaged 35
Hamilton averaged 31
Purvis averaged 28
Brimah averaged 26
Calhoun 17
Cassell and Nolan about 15
Lubin 6

So UConn loses 55 minutes at guard and 6 at PF. With 4 guys coming in, someone will be losing minutes. Especially when you consider Calhoun and Cassell missed playing many games together because of their injuries.

I'd put a guess as:
Gibbs: 25, Adams: 15
Purvis: 25, Adams: 10, Gibbs: 5
Hamilton: 25, Calhoun: 10, Purvis: 5
Miller: 25, Hamilton 5
Brimah: 25, Miller 5

Enoch, Facey, Nolan remaining 20 at the 4/5. Obviously depending on game, situation and opponent but that's my guess on averages. Cassell is a bit of a wild card, as is Calhoun (as we really have never seen him healthy at UConn).

Stupid Edit time limits.

Reaction Score
I agree. Don't anyone sleep on Jalen. This kid is going to make it awfully difficult for Ollie to take him off the floor.
We always seem to project players as better than what they are, but taking into consideration that he has to break in to college hoop, seems like JA gets 20 min per game unless what we see on his mix tapes is a mirage. KO has good problems with talent this year. PT is going to be a problem for some players that want more.

Reaction Score
I don't see Brimah getting 25 minutes in the majority of the games, especially against harder competition. That of course being for his perpensity to commit copious amounts of fouls.

He averaged 26mpg last year.

Reaction Score
We can hope the "copious amount of fouls" is a part of Amida Brimah's development that makes him higher in Hoop IQ. I want him on the floor.

Reaction Score
It will be a battle for minutes between Facey/Enoch and SC Jr/Omar. Only one from each of those groups will crack the rotation IMO. The sweet spot is an 8 man rotation (we will play 9 because of Brimahs foul trouble).

Gibbs-Purvis-Hamilton-Miller-Brimah... Adams-Omar-Nolan-Facey (SC Jr and Enoch out of the rotation)

Reaction Score
What's great about all this hype surround Gibbs, Miller, Adams, etc. is that we forget about guys like Kentan Facey and Omar Calhoun.

Both were originally Top 100, 4 star recruits with NBA ceilings. If Omar can stay healthy, and regain any of his Freshman form, think how good he can be as a senior next year.

Also
PG Adams
SG Cassell Jr.
SF Calhoun
PF Facey
C Enoch/Nolan
would be starting 5 material for a lesser D1 school, and that's our friggin bench.

What do you think Calhoun and Facey's roles will be like next year/how good can they be?

My big hope with this group is that one of Calhoun or Cassell can step up as a legitimate 3 point threat off the bench. It's not going to be a lot of minutes but a guy that can come in and provide that spark and floor spacing. Facey, barring a big step up in consistency, won't have a huge role IMO. Miller will take the majority of the minutes at the four and I think we'll see the three guard look pretty often, which would give Hamilton some minutes there as well. It's very nice to have those fouls off the bench though.

Reaction Score
The starters will all get 25 - 30 minutes a game. Leaving 10 - 15 for five subs.

I see the starters minutes trending more towards the 25 mpg than 30 this year for the simple reason that the subs (Adams, Omar, Facey, Nolan, Enoch, Sam Jr) are more experienced and/or talented than last years.

This could be the most effective bench that UConn has had in a long long time...I expect KO will take advantage and substitute liberally keeping the starters fresh and out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Defense wins championships, but you have to have the offense capability, so how do we stack up defensively? Shot blocking, check. No Boat uncheck. Hamilton was not great except for rebounding. Adams? Gibbs? Lots of questions. KO has work cut out.

Reaction Score

lol hence "minimum"

Reaction Score
Does anyone else on this board believe that Kentan will surpass Nolan this year? Its not hard to beat 2 pts and 2 boards a game. And lets be real here for a second... the reason nolan was out there for the amount of time he was is due to his ability to take a charge, hack-a-whoever, and give Brimah some rest when he was on the floor long enough to need it. Facey showed some real potential in some big games, specifically Duke. I know Facey needs to gain quite a bit of weight, but I still see him being more of a contributor than Nolan.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else on this board believe that Kentan will surpass Nolan this year? Its not hard to beat 2 pts and 2 boards a game. And lets be real here for a second... the reason nolan was out there for the amount of time he was is due to his ability to take a charge, hack-a-whoever, and give Brimah some rest when he was on the floor long enough to need it. Facey showed some real potential in some big games, specifically Duke. I know Facey needs to gain quite a bit of weight, but I still see him being more of a contributor than Nolan.

I type this every time I see it ...

Most equate Value of Phillip Nolan to production numbers. The reason we saw Nolan late last year (and so often in the NC season) is he has a far greater feel for defensive positioning than either Facey or Brimah. He actually rotates, hedges, blocks out, positions feet, knows the assignments ... far better. It would be great if he was a 7rb a game stud; he's not. I do think Facey has a lot more development to come: he can learn defensive expectations, he can hit a Jumpshot with consistency and he does grab boards.

Both kids have value - beyond what we are going to get from Brimah & Shonn Miller.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's the right question based on the situation this year. The 4 is much more settled with Miller so those two won't be fighting for starter's minutes and I don't see Facey as being able to play the 5. I think the better question is will Enoch be able to surpass one of Facey or Nolan this year to be the primary backup at either spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom