DePaul WBB is #1 in NCAA D-1 scoring offense | The Boneyard

DePaul WBB is #1 in NCAA D-1 scoring offense

Reaction Score
They say" don't look ahead" but I did:
Big East Freshman of the year ?? # 15 Aneesah Morrow
is number 2 in double doubles with 7 this year 6'1"
Older sister # 24 Nazlah Morrow 6' 1" is a Junior
transfer from Miami Dade Junior college " all conference"
Father Edward was a linebacker at NEBRASKA!
Mother Nafeesha was forward at NEBRASKA
Brother Edward played at NEBRASKA and Marquette.
I heard hoofbeats;
DePaul 90.9 points per game = for a reason!

sun

Reaction Score
DePaul made 18 of 45 3 pointers against Northern Illinois.

Reaction Score
Well , as to who DePaul has played, ( note UCONN is DEC 31st)
Blue Demons BEAT Northwestern Lost to Texas A & M
Beat Rutgers, lost to ARIZONA 75 to 68, beat Vanderbilt,
and also Beat Kentucky. among others. So after they
play Notre Dame, which should be a very nice comparison game,
they will play the UCONN Women in Chicago !! Sincerely, Z

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
DePaul is 7th in the nation in 3-pt shots attempted, averaging 25 per game. The Blue Demons are making a respectable percentage of their 3’s at 34%. It’s a relatively straightforward strategy. Take a lot of 3’s. If you make ‘em you can compete with anyone. If you don’t, you can’t.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
DePaul is 7th in the nation in 3-pt shots attempted, averaging 25 per game. The Blue Demons are making a respectable percentage of their 3’s at 34%. It’s a relatively straightforward strategy. Take a lot of 3’s. If you make ‘em you can compete with anyone. If you don’t, you can’t.
I am guessing part of the reasoning is it is also easier to get offensive rebounds off long rebounds.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They have been in the top ranks of offense for years and often in the bottom on defense. They shoot lots of threes, run a lot, and if their threes are dropping can beat pretty much anyone, and if not they can lose to just about anyone. They have struggled against Uconn because of Uconn's generally really strong defense - this year it should be interesting.

If you look at the opponents a lot of them scored well above their season average even in losing to DePaul which gives an indication of the type of games they play.

Reaction Score

what's funny is CW (and Uconn team) is shooting roughly the same 3pt % and a lot of people (myself included) complained up and down how bad of a 3pt shooter CW is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
what's funny is CW (and Uconn team) is shooting roughly the same 3pt % and a lot of people (myself included) complained up and down how bad of a 3pt shooter CW is.
I’ve always believed that 34% was the line of demarcation for a solid 3 pt shooter. It translates to an effective rate of 51% from 2 and as eebmg points out, long rebounds generally result in more offensive possessions. Anyone who shoots it at 40%+ like Paige last season and hopefully Azzi this season are at another level entirely.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I’ve always believed that 34% was the line of demarcation for a solid 3 pt shooter. It translates to an effective rate of 51% from 2 and as eebmg points out, long rebounds generally result in more offensive possessions. Anyone who shoots it at 40%+ like Paige last season and hopefully Azzi this season are at another level entirely.
Yup, and actually, there are few jump shooters that hit 50% inside the arc - their shooting percentages are always padded by shooting 80+% on however many layups they shoot. So reality is that the break even point on 3 pt shots is probably even lower 30-33% over the course of a year.

The problem being if you depend too much on 3 pt shooting you inevitably lose the games where your the shots are off - for every game where you hit 45% on threes there will be the games where you hit 25% or worse. And every good season ends with up to six games of single elimination and being hot from three for six straight games is not easy to do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yup, and actually, there are few jump shooters that hit 50% inside the arc - their shooting percentages are always padded by shooting 80+% on however many layups they shoot. So reality is that the break even point on 3 pt shots is probably even lower 30-33% over the course of a year.

The problem being if you depend too much on 3 pt shooting you inevitably lose the games where your the shots are off - for every game where you hit 45% on threes there will be the games where you hit 25% or worse. And every good season ends with up to six games of single elimination and being hot from three for six straight games is not easy to do.
You certainly have to be more than a good 3-pt shooting team to win a national championship. In fact, in the 2019 championship game, Baylor did not hit a single 3 on the way to their championship.

On the other hand if you can score inside and outside, like UConn’s 2016 championship team, nobody can get within double figures of you. During that season, UConn shot a blistering 38% from the arc, with both Mo & Stewie well over 40%, Lou at 39%, Kia at 37% and Tuck at 32%.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
You certainly have to be more than a good 3-pt shooting team to win a national championship. In fact, in the 2019 championship game, Baylor did not hit a single 3 on the way to their championship.

On the other hand if you can score inside and outside, like UConn’s 2016 championship team, nobody can get within double figures of you. During that season, UConn shot a blistering 38% from the arc, with both Mo & Stewie well over 40%, Lou at 39%, Kia at 37% and Tuck at 32%.
This pleasant back and forth between oldude and UcMiami piqued my curiosity in the 3-point shot. I found this short article on the history of the Trey. Although it was written in 2011, the article includes some fun information: during his rookie season in the NBA, Michael Jordan was 9 for 52 from 3-point range!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
DePaul scoring a lot of points? Not exactly a knock-me-over-with-a-feather moment.

Massey rating #1 offense and (gulp) #306 defense. Massey still has UConn losing to them in Chicago. It certainly will be a test of UConn's 3-point defense. Would be nice to have Nika or (especially) Aubrey back. I think Caroline will be a real asset there.

Reaction Score
Very few teams are shooting above 40% and a fair amount are below their last season's average. My theory is...moving the line back has had some impact either psychologically or in inches.

Reaction Score
Since the younger sister, the Freshman with the 7 double doubles this year, is
something like her Father ( a Nebraska Cornhusker linebacker ), this will give
DePaul some " inside" strength and that could " free up" their outside
shooting game. The older sister , the transfer from Miami Dade Junior
College, is also 6' 1", and while she is " on " the DePaul ROSTER page, she
was NOT on the DePaul "stats" page. Maybe all her credits did not
transfer in and she needs to do some extra credits before playing. She is
reportedly a good student.
We should be with the ++ factor inside anyway do to our
abundance of 6'5" players!
But first some "unfinished business " to be
completed on Sunday at 3: 30 EST. GO HUSKIES!!! WHO IS HEALED for
the Sunday tip off???

Reaction Score
DePaul 90.9 points per game = for a reason!

Actually a couple of reasons. One big one is that DePaul plays at the 3rd fastest pace in the nation. About 82.5 possessions per game. That's a lot of opportunities to score. UConn, in contrast, only has about 69.5 possessions per game.

DePaul averages 1.103 points per possession - which is 8th in the nation.

Reaction Score
this will be DePaul's best shot at beating UConn in years............they better do it this season because it will probably be the last time they have a chance of winning while Geno is still coaching...........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom