DePaul to hire Oregon assistant Tony Stubblefield as head coach | The Boneyard

DePaul to hire Oregon assistant Tony Stubblefield as head coach

Reaction Score
Also coached a season as interim HC at New Mexico State when Lou Henson was out with illness.

Know nothing about him but now at age 51, he has his first HC job so anyone at that age has put in decades of hard work to get to this point, good for him. For those who expected a bigger splash, it’s still the DePaul job so it was a pipe dream to expect that, especially Moser, etc.

A good start would be convincing the guys from their decent ‘21 haul to stick around but I’d expect another season of a DePaul roster rich with grad transfers.

I wish him nothing but good luck.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hiring retreads has not worked out for Depaul for the last 25 years, so why not go in a different direction?

Reaction Score
Hiring retreads has not worked out for Depaul for the last 25 years, so why not go in a different direction?
How is he a retread? This is his first head coaching job without the interim label. What am I missing?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

How is he a retread? This is his first head coaching job without the interim label. What am I missing?

Read my post again, with the accent on "why not". My post was meant to be rhetorical, because Depaul was going in a different direction with Stubblefield. The only marginally successful Head Coach Depaul has had since Joey Meyer started fading was Leitao's first turn at the school. Leitao was an assistant getting his first gig, and did OK. Kennedy, Wainwright, Purnell, and Leitao II were all retreads, and all sucked.

Looking at Depaul's history, Ray Meyer's run in the late 70's and early 80's looks more and more impressive, and stranger, as time goes on. He started well in the 40's, but then had a 20 year stretch of mediocrity through 1977, and then he went on a tear for the next 7 years. It is before my time, but why did he retire when he did? Health reasons? He was building a powerhouse.

Reaction Score
These are the kind of candidates that absolutely deserve head coaching opportunities. I’ll be rooting for his success, except for two possibly three times each season.

And which kind of candidate is he exactly??

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Read my post again, with the accent on "why not". My post was meant to be rhetorical, because Depaul was going in a different direction with Stubblefield. The only marginally successful Head Coach Depaul has had since Joey Meyer started fading was Leitao's first turn at the school. Leitao was an assistant getting his first gig, and did OK. Kennedy, Wainwright, Purnell, and Leitao II were all retreads, and all sucked.

Looking at Depaul's history, Ray Meyer's run in the late 70's and early 80's looks more and more impressive, and stranger, as time goes on. He started well in the 40's, but then had a 20 year stretch of mediocrity through 1977, and then he went on a tear for the next 7 years. It is before my time, but why did he retire when he did? Health reasons? He was building a powerhouse.
why did he retire when he did? Mark Aguirre left

Reaction Score

Got ya! We are on the same page

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yea i didn’t understand how I was suppose to know he was being rhetorical LOL so i just left it alone
I did understand the first time around, but I could see how someone might not have as well. In that sense, I appreciated the non-condescending walk-through that Nelson provided. And that you accepted it with good cheer.

Reaction Score
Recruiters seldom translate well as head coaches. Not sure why. And Nelson, Ray Meyer retired at 70 I believe. It He also won an NIT back when that was arguably more prestigious than the NCAA. Great coach. 37 winning seasons in 42 years in the same place. But since he retired DePaul has been the place where careers go to die.

Reaction Score
Ten games in I gotta give props to Stubblefield. 9-1 record with solid wins over Louisville and Rutgers.

Coaching transitions tend to force the cupboards to become bare, but their top-three players this year (Freeman-Liberty, Jones, Ongenda) are all Leitao recruits. Chicago born-and-bred Brandon Johnson was also an excellent grad transfer pick up, bringing a Whaley-like mentality and versatility.

My early take on Stubblefield is that a fair goal is to become the best team in Chicago over Northwestern, Loyola-Chicago etc. If that goal is met, DePaul will have major attraction in the recruiting circles in Chicago and the fact that Freeman-Liberty, Johnson and their top-100 recruit from this year, Ahmaud Bynum, are all Chicago guys is a nice connection for the next wave of talent.

Big game tonight hosting Creighton. It's an awful slate tonight, so this easily stands alone as the best game of the night.

Reaction Score
Ten games in I gotta give props to Stubblefield. 9-1 record with solid wins over Louisville and Rutgers.

Coaching transitions tend to force the cupboards to become bare, but their top-three players this year (Freeman-Liberty, Jones, Ongenda) are all Leitao recruits. Chicago born-and-bred Brandon Johnson was also an excellent grad transfer pick up, bringing a Whaley-like mentality and versatility.

My early take on Stubblefield is that a fair goal is to become the best team in Chicago over Northwestern, Loyola-Chicago etc. If that goal is met, DePaul will have major attraction in the recruiting circles in Chicago and the fact that Freeman-Liberty, Johnson and their top-100 recruit from this year, Ahmaud Bynum, are all Chicago guys is a nice connection for the next wave of talent.

Big game tonight hosting Creighton. It's an awful slate tonight, so this easily stands alone as the best game of the night.
The game tonight was cancelled due to Covid

Reaction Score
Always thought best school in Chicago was a very attainable goal for them. Similar to SJU being the best team in NYC although that hasnt given them much of a competitive edge when it comes to recruiting….Perhaps the nyc area is more competitive in that regard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom