DePaul Scouting Report | The Boneyard

DePaul Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Onto the next one!

DePaul - KenPom #108, 10-9

Schedule Analysis:
  • 327th toughest non-conference schedule. The toughest teams they played were Loyola-Chicago (lost by 4), Rutgers, Louisville and then a big dip from there: Duquesne, Western Illinois…
  • Best wins: 96-92 over Seton Hall, 73-70 over #96 Rutgers, 62-55 over #113 Louisville
  • “Worst” losses: 59-63 to Butler, 84-89 to St. John’s, 47-60 over Creighton
  • 1-8 in conference play
Roster Report:
  • There are only nine scholarship players who are not redshirting, all of which are part of the rotation.
  • Their star, Javon Freeman-Liberty, has missed the last three games with a groin injury.
  • IF JFL is out, expect 6’0 165 Jalen Terry to play all the minutes at PG, and then decent size the rest of the way. For example, their starting lineup vs Nova was 6’0 165, 6’6 195, 6’6 205, 6’8 220, 6’11 210
  • IF JFL returns and plays a regular load, expect Terry and JF-L to get nearly all of the backcourt minutes and then the 3 and 4 spots filled between guys ranging from 6’6 195 (David Jones) to 6’8 220 (Brandon Johnson). Their two bigs play nearly all their minutes at the 5, but 13% of the time Brendan Johnson is their small-ball 5, doubtful we’ll see that against UConn.
1643232884023.png

Offense: 105th in KenPom efficiency
  • Not a lot of offense outside of stud Javon Freeman-Liberty, who’s a STUD.
  • To better judge the team with their current lineup, this is my first preview using recent stats, in this case, all of which are conference games. Check out the efficiency…Jones, B. Johnson, Ongenda…MAJOR swan dive in efficiency once DePaul started playing conference games.
  • Based on the above point, Jalen Terry has probably usurped David Jones as the #2 option on offense, giving the team a solid offensive backcourt.
  • 40th in the nation in offensive rebounding rate.
  • 113th in nation in ability to get to the line
  • 135th in turnover prevention
  • Rank outside the top-180 in both 2p% (49.7) and 3p% (32.2%).
  • Only 41.4% of their FGs are from assists, which is 339th in the nation.
  • 34.7% of their shots are from three, which is 249th in the nation.
Defense: 122th in KenPom efficiency
  • David Jones is their best individual defender (1.8 steals, 1.1 blocks per game)
  • Their rotation of bigs are good rim protectors (Anei and Ongenda combine 3.9 blocks/game)
  • Top-60 in both 2p% defense and preventing teams from getting to the line
  • They do not generate a ton of turnovers (turnover rate is 265th in the nation)
  • Within their backcourt, there’s a huge discrepancy between Freeman-Liberty’s defensive ability (solid) vs Jalen Terry (so far, pretty weak).
  • Just OK defensive rebounding (135th rate in nation)

Reaction Score
I love Freeman-Liberty’s game. Solid perimeter shooter who can also score off the bounce. You could see his potential last year, but he has looked much more polished this season. Much of this team has raw athleticism, which sometimes turns into offense, and other times… doesn’t look good. I love the way we match up against them.

Reaction Score
I've been searching for some info. on Freeman-Liberty's timetable for a return and can't find anything. You don't appreciate the Horde until you try to find information on a team like DePaul which doesn't seem to have much coverage.

Reaction Score
I've been searching for some info. on Freeman-Liberty's timetable for a return and can't find anything. You don't appreciate the Horde until you try to find information on a team like DePaul which doesn't seem to have much coverage.
Seems like a game to game situation. One of their reporters at the time of the injury said they hoped he would only miss one game. Think there's a decent chance he suits up at home.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I love Freeman-Liberty’s game. Solid perimeter shooter who can also score off the bounce. You could see his potential last year, but he has looked much more polished this season. Much of this team has raw athleticism, which sometimes turns into offense, and other times… doesn’t look good. I love the way we match up against them.

Yup. he's been very impressive the 2 or 3 games Ive watched of him this year. Nice player. All BigEast caliber player. Sucks he's hurt, if he needs some more time to recover I dont mind if he skips our game. :)

Reaction Score
If JFL is out, we might win by 35. They're terrible. I hope he's back. Our conference is better when that kid is playing--he's a heck of a talent..

Reaction Score
I’m appreciating all the love for JFL and it’s all warranted.

It’s super cool that he took on the challenge from being the man at Valpo to transferring up a conference to his home city and become the stud at DePaul.

He’s an easy guy to root for and I love his game.

Reaction Score
I'm not underestimating Depaul. They have played tough a number of times despite the stats and the final results. Occasionally the wheels come off and I hope we catch them on a disjointed day. I've seen Freeman-Liberty play well, but he also seems to be a volume shooter who can force shots, and keep forcing them on an off day. I hope the team isn't taking the game as casually as you guys seem to see it. We have to play with energy to be at our best. My key to the game is actually pregame, Hurley having us in the right mindset ready to play. I don't think Depaul can play 40 min vs our B to B+ game.

Reaction Score
I'm not underestimating Depaul. They have played tough a number of times despite the stats and the final results. Occasionally the wheels come off and I hope we catch them on a disjointed day. I've seen Freeman-Liberty play well, but he also seems to be a volume shooter who can force shots, and keep forcing them on an off day. I hope the team isn't taking the game as casually as you guys seem to see it. We have to play with energy to be at our best. My key to the game is actually pregame, Hurley having us in the right mindset ready to play. I don't think Depaul can play 40 min vs our B to B+ game.
I totally agree. Easily the best team between DePaul, Georgetown and Butler.

I expect a win and we should win, but my level of confidence for this game is nowhere near the borderline cockiness I felt entering the Georgetown and Butler games.

DePaul has a good mix of athletes and brawn, but so do we. As long as we play our game with the level of athleticism, effort and efficiency we've seen recently, we'll win.

Personally, I hope JFL plays. I want him to heal quickly and the conference is better when he's healthy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Play solid D.. Establish ourselves on the O and D Boards.. Share the ball and find the hot shooter. Pedal to the metal for 40 minutes. Should have the result we want.

Reaction Score
Trap game.

Huskies need to bring the same urgency they’d bring for Nova. Do that and looking at a W.

Been a struggle getting back into top 25 after PC loss. Critical to move up the rankings; a loss to DePaul will move them down and out.

Reaction Score
Onto the next one!

DePaul - KenPom #108, 10-9

Schedule Analysis:
  • 327th toughest non-conference schedule. The toughest teams they played were Loyola-Chicago (lost by 4), Rutgers, Louisville and then a big dip from there: Duquesne, Western Illinois…
  • Best wins: 96-92 over Seton Hall, 73-70 over #96 Rutgers, 62-55 over #113 Louisville
  • “Worst” losses: 59-63 to Butler, 84-89 to St. John’s, 47-60 over Creighton
  • 1-8 in conference play
Roster Report:
  • There are only nine scholarship players who are not redshirting, all of which are part of the rotation.
  • Their star, Javon Freeman-Liberty, has missed the last three games with a groin injury.
  • IF JFL is out, expect 6’0 165 Jalen Terry to play all the minutes at PG, and then decent size the rest of the way. For example, their starting lineup vs Nova was 6’0 165, 6’6 195, 6’6 205, 6’8 220, 6’11 210
  • IF JFL returns and plays a regular load, expect Terry and JF-L to get nearly all of the backcourt minutes and then the 3 and 4 spots filled between guys ranging from 6’6 195 (David Jones) to 6’8 220 (Brandon Johnson). Their two bigs play nearly all their minutes at the 5, but 13% of the time Brendan Johnson is their small-ball 5, doubtful we’ll see that against UConn.
View attachment 72735

Offense: 105th in KenPom efficiency
  • Not a lot of offense outside of stud Javon Freeman-Liberty, who’s a STUD.
  • To better judge the team with their current lineup, this is my first preview using recent stats, in this case, all of which are conference games. Check out the efficiency…Jones, B. Johnson, Ongenda…MAJOR swan dive in efficiency once DePaul started playing conference games.
  • Based on the above point, Jalen Terry has probably usurped David Jones as the #2 option on offense, giving the team a solid offensive backcourt.
  • 40th in the nation in offensive rebounding rate.
  • 113th in nation in ability to get to the line
  • 135th in turnover prevention
  • Rank outside the top-180 in both 2p% (49.7) and 3p% (32.2%).
  • Only 41.4% of their FGs are from assists, which is 339th in the nation.
  • 34.7% of their shots are from three, which is 249th in the nation.
Defense: 122th in KenPom efficiency
  • David Jones is their best individual defender (1.8 steals, 1.1 blocks per game)
  • Their rotation of bigs are good rim protectors (Anei and Ongenda combine 3.9 blocks/game)
  • Top-60 in both 2p% defense and preventing teams from getting to the line
  • They do not generate a ton of turnovers (turnover rate is 265th in the nation)
  • Within their backcourt, there’s a huge discrepancy between Freeman-Liberty’s defensive ability (solid) vs Jalen Terry (so far, pretty weak).
  • Just OK defensive rebounding (135th rate in nation)

Thanks for doing these. Seems like a team we should beat, but every Big East road victory is important.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I totally agree. Easily the best team between DePaul, Georgetown and Butler.

I expect a win and we should win, but my level of confidence for this game is nowhere near the borderline cockiness I felt entering the Georgetown and Butler games.

DePaul has a good mix of athletes and brawn, but so do we. As long as we play our game with the level of athleticism, effort and efficiency we've seen recently, we'll win.

Personally, I hope JFL plays. I want him to heal quickly and the conference is better when he's healthy.

The one thing where I think this team has taken great strides in last month is that I think we are finally playing "our basketball" . Wins are always nice, but one thing I always look for in games we should win is if we are imposing our will, are we winning with the way WE like to play. We've been doing that. We are not just hanging on and finding wins, we are finding identity. We are finding repeatable success actions. I'm real bullish on this team right now, In December I was not. I thought we had the pieces, but the only repeatable actions we were getting (win or lose) was closing games badly. But I'm seeing consistency now in key places that we should be able to expect going forward. AJ ( and I paid particular attention to him when I was at GTown game) is like a shark out there the way he is evaluating the floor, and the team (and himself) are way more comfortable now with the ball in his hands. It allows RJ to do what he is best at, and Sanogo is finding that he is better on PnR quick hits and being a rebounding monster than he is at black hole back to the basket 14 foot hooks. Polley has found consistency in his game as opposed to the all or nothings, and Hawkins I think has recently made a breakthrough that allows floor time that contributes and builds his own confidence. Hurley seems to have settled on a rotation that takes advantage of all of the above. I'd like to see it keep going, and I think it will. All these things are huge as we hit the next part of schedule. I'm excited.

Reaction Score
The one thing where I think this team has taken great strides in last month is that I think we are finally playing "our basketball" . Wins are always nice, but one thing I always look for in games we should win is if we are imposing our will, are we winning with the way WE like to play. We've been doing that. We are not just hanging on and finding wins, we are finding identity. We are finding repeatable success actions. I'm real bullish on this team right now, In December I was not. I thought we had the pieces, but the only repeatable actions we were getting (win or lose) was closing games badly. But I'm seeing consistency now in key places that we should be able to expect going forward. AJ ( and I paid particular attention to him when I was at GTown game) is like a shark out there the way he is evaluating the floor, and the team (and himself) are way more comfortable now with the ball in his hands. It allows RJ to do what he is best at, and Sanogo is finding that he is better on PnR quick hits and being a rebounding monster than he is at black hole back to the basket 14 foot hooks. Polley has found consistency in his game as opposed to the all or nothings, and Hawkins I think has recently made a breakthrough that allows floor time that contributes and builds his own confidence. Hurley seems to have settled on a rotation that takes advantage of all of the above. I'd like to see it keep going, and I think it will. All these things are huge as we hit the next part of schedule. I'm excited.
The pessimist is excited.

Reaction Score
One of the recent developments on offense that I'm enjoying about our guys is ball movement. Since AJ has evolved on defensive boards and starting to move ball up floor-Definitely has improved. Flow of game is so much more efficient --Looking for open shooter/sharing the ball.

Don't miss the weaves at the top of the key

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom