DePaul Preview | The Boneyard

DePaul Preview

Reaction Score
With four incoming transfers and just two games played, DePaul is the mystery team of the Big East. Here's what I noticed so far:

DePaul's backcourt can score, but can't shoot: Both Charlie Moore and Valpo transfer Javon Freeman-Liberty are bucket getters, but both averaged under 32% from three last season despite averaging a combined 34.5 ppg. They've had good starts in terms of efficiency, but I'm curious how Leitao balances two volume-based, yet streaky and sometimes inefficient shooters.

Romeo Weems is the real deal: Last season, despite shooting 43% from the field and 37% from three, Weems averaged only 8 ppg in 30 mpg. This year, the 6'7 215 sophomore has averaged 21 points in his first two games with three more 3P attempts per game than last year's pace. The former top-100 prospect has real NBA aspirations, so I can see him showcasing his long distance shooting to compliment his tenacious defense and athleticism. I'd love a heavy dose of Tyrese Martin guarding Weems to force Moore/Freeman-Liberty to force up bad shots.

DePaul's frontcourt looks impressive: Especially impressive considering stud forward Paul Reed's jump to the NBA. With incumbent senior Jaylen Butz, the classic big man who has yet to make an apperarnce due to personal reasons, 6'11 210 Canadian sophomore Nick Ongenda and Manhattan grad transfer Pauly Paulicap (greatest DePaul name ever) have combined to average 15 points, 9 boards, 2 steals and 5.5 blocks in the last two games. If Reed plays tomorrow, they have the beef to counter our frontcourt trio defensively, although their offensive chops all are limited on the blocks and inside the paint (fun fact: Butz/Paulicap/Ongenda have attempted a combined ONE three pointer in a combined 191 games).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we need to keep Moore in check. Much like Zagarowski. If we do that we should be in good shape. We need someone to step up and help Bouk. I like out chances in this one.

Reaction Score
I read that Polley was suppose begin practicing with the team on Christmas. Did that happen? Is he a go?

Reaction Score
I read that Polley was suppose begin practicing with the team on Christmas. Did that happen? Is he a go?
Yes, per hurleys last interview, Polley is a full go.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, per hurleys last interview, Polley is a full go.

Excited Lets Go GIF by Mind Pump Media

Reaction Score
Gonna need good defensive efforts from Cole and Whaley it looks like. Maybe just let Bouk go to work. Getting Polley back is huge for getting a court spreader and shooter. I think this is a double double game for Whaley.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Gonna need good defensive efforts from Cole and Whaley it looks like. Maybe just let Bouk go to work. Getting Polley back is huge for getting a court spreader and shooter. I think this is a double double game for Whaley.
pleeeaassse keep him out of foul trouble

Reaction Score
Has DePaul played much zone? I'm worried that after watching Creighton try, and fail, to stop Bouk in man to man we will see A LOT of zone.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Has DePaul played much zone? I'm worried that after watching Creighton try, and fail, to stop Bouk in man to man we will see A LOT of zone.
We have the worst team to face a zone. Not only does it force us to shoot, it takes away our front court depth and strength and forces them to get long rebounds. This is the rare UConn team that wants to mix it up in the paint. Like we have a tough, tough team right now 2-5. We haven’t been in this position recently.

On the bright side it would give Bouk some easy looks he can’t keep getting beat up like he did last game.

Reaction Score
Let's make our FTs tomorrow .
Defense, rebounding and freen throws = Win. Must game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom