Denver Nuggets - Sue Bird | The Boneyard

Denver Nuggets - Sue Bird

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Whenever that fateful day comes when Geno retires Sue could be a potential replacement, particularly if she has some NBA coaching experience under her belt.

No she won’t. She’s made it clear she has no interest in living in Storrs. I can see Sue coaching, but I think it will more likely be in the pros.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No she won’t. She’s made it clear she has no interest in living in Storrs. I can see Sue coaching, but I think it will more likely be in the pros.
Just curious when Sue might have said that and why, because Sue does spend time in Storrs, returning to watch games and occasionally working out under Geno’s watchful eye.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but get Diana to be the Head Coach and Sue the Chris Daley type.... and I bet she would think long and hard about changing that

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think she would be the best candidate to replace Geno. She may or may not still have some concerns about living in Storrs, but I think the right offer could overcome that. Diana might work as an assistant coach, but I don't think she has the judgment to be a really good head coach. And I think Sue would be a more palatable personality for potential recruits and their parents.

If she gets even part-time experience coaching in the NBA, that would make her resume impossibly strong compared to any conceivable competition.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but get Diana to be the Head Coach and Sue the Chris Daley type.... and I bet she would think long and hard about changing that
I remember seeing a video where both Geno and DT were talking about Diana as a coach. Geno said she’d be great because she kept it fun and DT said she enjoyed it when she coached some kids. As I remember the team she coach went undefeated (wonder where she learned that). I hope she does go into coaching because her personality and knowledge seems similar enough to Geno’s that she could build a dynasty wherever she coaches.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Much of the discussion of who takes over when Geno retires has focused on Jen or Shea, two outstanding coaches with a UConn pedigree. While both are legitimate contenders for that role, I have come to the conclusion that for UConn to continue to be an elite program after Geno & CD go off into the sunset it will be necessary for the school to bring in a big name to generate excitement on the national level particularly when it comes to recruiting.

Nothing against Jen or Shea, but Sue & DT fit that requirement exceptionally well. So to does Maya. One other UConn alum also fits the bill, and I doubt she would have any problem working in Storrs. That would be Rebecca. She doesn’t even have to move from her nearby home in Granby, CT.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And I'm going to continue to remind people that just because a player is/ has been a star and great talent does not mean they will be a quality coach.

Many times those with great talent cannot teach those skills to young players. We are talking a completely different skill set to be able to coach. Coaching is much more than basketball skills.

I will be the first to admit I don't know if Sue or D or Rebecca have the skill set to coach. But Sue has stated she does not want to coach.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many times those with great talent cannot teach those skills to young players. We are talking a completely different skill set to be able to coach. Coaching is much more than basketball skills.
A point well taken. But of course there are exceptions: Dawn, Jen & Shea were all great players in their own right and they’re pretty darn good when it comes to coaching. One thing about those 3 players is that they were all pg’s. I tend to believe that pg’s have an edge when it comes to coaching in many instances, because they’re essentially coaches on the floor. That would also make a case for Sue or DT if they were interested.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are probably right Cat. Still, I think that she'd be a phenomenal college BB coach.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And I'm going to continue to remind people that just because a player is/ has been a star and great talent does not mean they will be a quality coach.

Thanks huskeynut, I was debating about saying something similar. Being a great player and being a great coach are almost mutually exclusive. There are exceptions, but it's rare.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does Sue have any connections to Denver or their staff?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I tend to believe that pg’s have an edge when it comes to coaching in many instances, because they’re essentially coaches on the floor.
Geno and Muffet were PGs. Tara may have been as well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't if Sue will coach when her playing days are over, but anyone who thinks she's one of those great players who wouldn't make a great coach hasn't been paying attention.

Reaction Score
I don't if Sue will coach when her playing days are over, but anyone who thinks she's one of those great players who wouldn't make a great coach hasn't been paying attention.
I agree she would be a great coach, but I have a hunch she has her eyes set on general manager. That would be way cool.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly both Geno and CD have it in their current contract that they will advisory roles after they retire from coaching, I believe that it will be those two that will choose who will replace them and most likely it will be someone that already has some history with UCONN.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As a player, Sue is already one of the best coaches in the W.

the-seattle-storm-huddle-up-during-the-game-against-the-minnesota-on-picture-id538705648

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom