Dennis Dodd: Big Ten expansion not done...stay tuned | The Boneyard

Dennis Dodd: Big Ten expansion not done...stay tuned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...est-of-college-footballs-preseason-media-days

257.jpg

Big Ten expansion: It isn't done. That's about all I can say. Hint: The conference will begin negotiating on a new TV deal next year. The current contract expires in 2016. Definitely stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Don't forget this:

February 14, 2013
interview with the head of the BTN. Gerry Dinardo (B1G Network)
"I don't think we'll ever play with a 14 team team conference, I think it'll be 16 (by 2014, when Maryland and Rutgers join). And I don't think they're going to go through all this conversation and all this realignment and do it again for just two more schools. "

and

July 8, 2013

MSU AD "accidentally" says B1G will be at 16 in 5 years

■ BIG AND BIGGER: Just how big will the Big Ten become?
Asked how many schools will make up the conference in five years, Hollis said 16. But before the media in attendance could tweet it out, he clarified, saying 14.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd is just fugging with boneyarders again.

Reaction Score
I really am curious who could be on the target list for the B1G.

ACC and Big 12 have GoR's

PAC 12 forget it.

SEC ain't losing no one.

We all know Cincy, USF, Boise, BYU, etc ain't happening.

So.......?

Reaction Score
I really am curious who could be on the target list for the B1G.

ACC and Big 12 have GoR's

PAC 12 forget it.

SEC ain't losing no one.

We all know Cincy, USF, Boise, BYU, etc ain't happening.

So.......?
UConn....and Tulane!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Let's focus on the hint here people.

Hint: The conference will begin negotiating on a new TV deal next year. The current contract expires in 2016. Definitely stay tuned.

What is the importance of this quote. It appears as if Dodd is implying that the only way the contract could be renegotiated next year is with further expansion. Is this true? Could the renegotiation be a result of the additions of Maryland/Rutgers?

If the answer to these questions is yes and no. Then knowledge of this fact could be what slipped to Dodd during B1G media days which would be strongly indicative of further expansion. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Two options.

Option one: one east coast and one western team. (UConn and Mizzu)
Option two: two western teams.

I will leave the light on for you.

I don't see a second eastern team that is available worth taking. I also think an east and west can balance the divisions better.

Reaction Score
No - the Big Ten's contract being up has been well known for the past few years. This isn't a renegotiation clause like what the ACC did recently with ND's addition, the entire contract is expiring and up for re-negotiation.

I don't think Dodd knows that expansion is going to happen - he's just saying that the Big Ten has more of an incentive to expand compared to all the other conferences out there since the other P5 conferences all signed new media deals in the past few years while the Big Ten will be coming off of a 10 year contract covering 2007-2016.

I expect the Big Ten to start negotiations based on the current 14 member setup and perhaps reach out to other schools depending on how that goes.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I fully expect a come to Jesus moment for the B1G about 30 seconds into negotiations regarding NYC subscribers.

Delaney: "Wait a minute. You're telling me no one in NYC gives a about Rutgers anything? Alright screw the recruiting area and AAU, let's grab UConn"

Reaction Score
Let's focus on the hint here people.

What is the importance of this quote. It appears as if Dodd is implying that the only way the contract could be renegotiated next year is with further expansion. Is this true? Could the renegotiation be a result of the additions of Maryland/Rutgers?

If the answer to these questions is yes and no. Then knowledge of this fact could be what slipped to Dodd during B1G media days which would be strongly indicative of further expansion. Thoughts?

Is Dodd trying to say why are they starting negotiations in 2014 on a contract that has 3 years left on it ( 2014-2016) unless some earlier changes are coming?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Is Dodd trying to say why are they starting negotiations in 2014 on a contract that has 3 years left on it ( 2014-2016) unless some earlier changes are coming?

That's how I'm reading it, right?

Reaction Score
A contract that large will need 12 months to create. You also don't want to wait til the last minute to make the deal. My guess is the contract will be done and announced late 2014 school year. 1 year before it goes into effect.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When there's smoke there's a fire. Somewhere.....

Reaction Score
A contract that large will need 12 months to create. You also don't want to wait til the last minute to make the deal. My guess is the contract will be done and announced late 2014 school year. 1 year before it goes into effect.

Doesn't the current contract end after the 2016 season? If they finished it next year that would be 2 full seasons before the new contract starts.

ESPN had a whole new league to write a contract for and it was done pretty quickly.

I guess the B1G spends much of their time pitching the cable and dish companies as well as Fox sports so who knows.

One would think all parties would want to see numbers with MD and Rutgers for 1 season as well.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I also caught the bullet right before he says the B1G isn't done expanding. Delany "close to retiring" might (might) create a sense of urgency for the conference to add more schools before he leaves. He certainly has an expansion vision that seems to be well-received by the conference's Presidents and BOTs. They might feel that his input is essential once the CR wheel cranks up again. Let's just hope that he values UCONN and what it could bring to the B1G!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Doesn't the current contract end after the 2016 season? If they finished it next year that would be 2 full seasons before the new contract starts.

ESPN had a whole new league to write a contract for and it was done pretty quickly.

I guess the B1G spends much of their time pitching the cable and dish companies as well as Fox sports so who knows.

One would think all parties would want to see numbers with MD and Rutgers for 1 season as well.

ESPN didn't have to write a contract. They just had to read what Aresco negotiated, chuckle amongst themselves and "find-and-replace" NBC with ESPN.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I also caught the bullet right before he says the B1G isn't done expanding. Delany "close to retiring" might (might) create a sense of urgency for the conference to add more schools before he leaves. He certainly has an expansion vision that seems to be well-received by the conference's Presidents and BOTs. They might feel that his input is essential once the CR wheel cranks up again. Let's just hope that he values UCONN and what it could bring to the B1G!

I think a pod system gets our ticket punched. MD and RU aren't going to make a fuss at this point, and PSU knows they were damn close to getting kicked our recently. Plus, it isolates our (hopefully) perceived weak football team to buy other votes around the league.

Reaction Score

How many years left? When does the contract expire? Please remember the B1G can't count.

Reaction Score

There's additional complexity in the Big Ten contract that wasn't present in other conferences

1 - It's going to be the first major conference that's negotiating after the launch of Fox Sports 1, so there will be a decision whether to split the deal between both ESPN/FOX or bundle it together (even right now FOX has the rights to the Championship Game). Some people even expect a bidding war between the two companies so who knows what will mean for the negotiation time frame.

2 - Big Ten also wants to change the ratio of good games between its T1 deal with FOX/ESPN and what BTN keeps in order to expand its coverage. Expect this a while to figure out as well since with the addition of both Ice Hockey and Lacrosse BTN may have more inventory than open slots. Will they throw it all into overflow BTN channels or try to license some of it back out? None of that's decided yet.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think this time frame might be too soon for UConn. But maybe if there's discussion about UConn/B1G as a real possiblity in the traditional media (this board and WV bloggers don't count) maybe that spurs the ACC to grab us first.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe we are etched in pencil for slot #16 with the B1G..... but who is #15; ND ??? Mizzu and Kansas seem like the only other natural border market schools, but both have conf GOR issues, right? Texas is a huge market, maybe you take a satelite team there and break the league's contiguous market architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom