Deliberate Technical fouls by a coach | The Boneyard

Deliberate Technical fouls by a coach

Reaction Score
How effective are they in changing how the refs call the rest of the game?

Do they just result in a "compensating" foul against the other team, or alter the way the refs call the rest of the game?

Besides the coach complaining to the ref making the call, do other refs talk to the ref making the "disputed" call to tone him down?

I remember Al McGuire, a former Marquette coach , and an animated announcer, who routinely got riled up when calls went against his team, especially on the road. One announcer said it was a deliberate strategy to get the crowd to turn on him, and not against his players who committed hard fouls.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Calhoun would use these very effectively early in a game. If we wait until your team is already down double figures late it’s pointless to give the other team two shots and the ball

Reaction Score
When it's done well, it does a great job firing up the team and the crowd. I especially like it when a coach takes the heat for defending one of his players: I think Aaron Boone does a great job of this for the Yankees and I've been to plenty of games from 04-08 where Calhoun did it expertly.

When it's done poorly, it just looks sad and embarrassing.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When it's done well, it does a great job firing up the team and the crowd. I especially like it when a coach takes the heat for defending one of his players: I think Aaron Boone does a great job of this for the Yankees and I've been to plenty of games from 04-08 where Calhoun did it expertly.

When it's done poorly, it just looks sad and embarrassing.
Good point. It’s often just as much about firing up a lethargic team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom