Delaware Water Gap | The Boneyard

Delaware Water Gap

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Has anyone driven through this area? Anywhere worth stopping within it? Or is it more of a scenic drive thing?

I am off to the western edge of the Poconos tomorrow and see this area on a map. Looks like a cool detour.

Reaction Score
it's a beautiful area and worth a drive. But yes, more of a scenic drive unless you want to hike/fish/camp/etc. Very interesting history to the area too, a massive eminent domain for a project that never go started.

Reaction Score
Has anyone driven through this area? Anywhere worth stopping within it? Or is it more of a scenic drive thing?

I am off to the western edge of the Poconos tomorrow and see this area on a map. Looks like a cool detour.

It is a cool drive, especially in the fall during foliage season along US 209 and PA County 228. Primary activities in the area are hiking (AT, Buttermilk Falls), rafting (high water) or canoeing, and just stopping here and their to take a look. Feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, not just 75 miles from NYC. Just make sure that the roads are not closed due to flooding (looks open right now, the really heavy rain has been around Philly and South Jersey this year, the Jersey side road is also closed in the winter). Not much else to do, which is how the Fed and the 2 states want to mange the area.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I've driven through countless times and it is still impressive. I've also hiked and canoed the area a lot. Not relevant to your post but canoeing down the Delaware and camping out on the islands (there's quite a few of them near the Water Gap) is a blast. I've done that a bunch as well.

Let me second Buttermilk Falls or one of many other in the Watergap area
Link

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you end up doing it? Curious about your impressions - I had relatives (since deceased) in the Pocono area and loved driving through the DWG, it was a trip highlight.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Did you end up doing it? Curious about your impressions - I had relatives (since deceased) in the Pocono area and loved driving through the DWG, it was a trip highlight.
Left late. Will hit it on way home.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife wanted no part of this drive as it lengthened the trip by an hour.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom