Delany Slips and Speaks the Truth About RU and UMD | The Boneyard

Delany Slips and Speaks the Truth About RU and UMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good interview with Delany in USA Today, but he let this little nugget slip out. He is straight up saying the possibility of Rutgers or Turtle playing in a football championship game isn't even in his steam of consciousness. Because, uh, if RU or UMD made a championship game, then one of the teams wouldn't have to travel east, right?

Q: There are no plans to move the football championship game East, right?

A: I think we're going to keep it central. It's too hard. In basketball, you have 14 fan bases. With football, you have two fan bases involved in the championship game. Out of respect and common sense, you don't want to move it to a place where 100% of the people that are involved are going to have to come from someplace else.

Linky to full interview.

Whoops.

pj

Reaction Score
Come on. You schedule the championship years in advance, long before you know the teams. Assuming they go to East-West divisions, you will have one team from the west. It is natural to make the championship game in a central location that is equidistant from the West and East teams. Chicago or Detroit or Indianapolis would satisfy that.

Reaction Score
Neither program is likely to see the B1G CCG any time soon, but 'slips and speaks the truth' is a reach. Delany's comments didn't read like a slight to either Maryland or Rutgers to me.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
PSU coach James Franklin was a bit more direct in firing shots at Rutgers and Maryland:

Speaking in Baltimore today as part of the ongoing Coaches Caravan, Franklin said he considers both Maryland and New Jersey “in-state,” in terms of recruiting. He's been on a tear in both states, including the No. 1 player in Maryland (DT Adam McLean) and three of the top four prospects in New Jersey, according to 247sports.com's composite rankings.

“I consider this in-state,” Franklin told the Baltimore crowd, according to the Football Letter. “I consider New Jersey in-state. I know there are other schools around here, but you might as well shut them down.”

Ouch.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2014/05/dominate_the_states_penn_state.html

Reaction Score
Big ouch!

Can't wait for him to be saying that about us and the state of Ct! :)

Reaction Score
Big ouch!

Can't wait for him to be saying that about us and the state of Ct! :)

I'd be impressed if he was saying that about Ohio but he's coaching PSU and bragging about recruiting over Rutgers and Maryland. Big stones, let's see how it works out.

Reaction Score
PSU coach James Franklin was a bit more direct in firing shots at Rutgers and Maryland:

Well, Franklin was all set to be the head coach at Maryland...until he wasn't. I fully expect the Terps to be square within his bulls eye for years to come.

Reaction Score
I'd be impressed if he was saying that about Ohio but he's coaching PSU and bragging about recruiting over Rutgers and Maryland. Big stones, let's see how it works out.

I don't see why he would even brag. PSU has been recruiting NJ and Maryland heavily for decades. There is no change here. There is absolutely nothing new about it. He didn't even need to say it. But it's also true that Jersey, Eastern Pa., Maryland are practically the same area.

Reaction Score
I don't see how these comments are in any way a shot at Maryland or Rutgers. He's right... with basketball, you know all 14 (16/18) programs will be taking part in the tournament. With football, there are only two every year, and it's just prudent to play the percentages especially since it will require a western team meeting an eastern team. Thus, it's better to keep it in the middle to split the difference.

Reaction Score
Come on. You schedule the championship years in advance, long before you know the teams. Assuming they go to East-West divisions, you will have one team from the west. It is natural to make the championship game in a central location that is equidistant from the West and East teams. Chicago or Detroit or Indianapolis would satisfy that.
The B1G east division will be brutal!!

Reaction Score

Speaking in Baltimore today as part of the ongoing Coaches Caravan, Franklin said he considers both Maryland and New Jersey “in-state,” in terms of recruiting. He's been on a tear in both states, including the No. 1 player in Maryland (DT Adam McLean) and three of the top four prospects in New Jersey, according to 's composite rankings.

“I consider this in-state,” Franklin told the Baltimore crowd, according to the Football Letter. “I consider New Jersey in-state. I know there are other schools around here, but you might as well shut them down.”

Ouch.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2014/05/dominate_the_states_penn_state.html
Right now PSU has the #2 recruiting class in the nation....Franklin is a heck of a recruiter and KF is terrible although like PP "a nice guy"...he'll be gone very soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom