Delaney - Notre Dame Move | The Boneyard

Delaney - Notre Dame Move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure this was posted yet but yesterday I read some interesting quotes from Delaney. He said that once ND went to ACC in its olympic sports he believed that it would be an "eventuality" that they would move their football program in as well. He then said the ACC would then add another team to make the 1st super-conference and have the upperhand on the rest of the conferences. Thus he moved quick to add Maryland and Rutgers

What I take away from this is that the Big Ten is going to 16 sooner rather than later and that ND is moving football into a conference sooner rather than later . Perhaps both UCONN and Ville will both get invited

pj

Reaction Score
B1G will offer UVa and ND, or UVa, UNC, ND, and probably UConn (Ga Tech the most likely competitor) to get to 16 or 18.

No way the B1G wants Louisville.

B12 wants 12 at least and is offering FSU and others (Clemson, Ga Tech) to get there.

SEC would probably offer UVa and UNC, or accept NC State or Va Tech if markets are most important; or FSU if brands are.

We end up either in the B1G or the ACC-BE leftovers conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not sure this was posted yet but yesterday I read some interesting quotes from Delaney. He said that once ND went to ACC in its olympic sports he believed that it would be an "eventuality" that they would move their football program in as well. He then said the ACC would then add another team to make the 1st super-conference and have the upperhand on the rest of the conferences. Thus he moved quick to add Maryland and Rutgers

What I take away from this is that the Big Ten is going to 16 sooner rather than later and that ND is moving football into a conference sooner rather than later . Perhaps both UCONN and Ville will both get invited

Yes, this is what I expect as well. Notre Dame will join for football when the NBC contract is up. Thus, FSU and Clemson...let alone UVA and UNC, are going nowhere. The ACC will form an ACCC Network, and will have easily the richest media markets in the country (compared to other conferences) to sell it to. I think this made the B1G desperate, given that they are landlocked, and have declining populations in all their major markets (Delaney has been concerned about demographics for years). So they made a grab to gain relevance in some additional markets. I think Notre Dame will request, and will receive, the UT treatment, and may have it's own Irish Network alongside the ACC Network...or will get a bigger split. I suspect this is the deal the B1G wouldn't give them, and the reason they went to the ACC.

The league that needs to worry is not the ACC, it's the Big XII. The B1G may choose to move south (and should have added Mizzou), and the SEC, if it wants any schools, would go for UT and OU.

So for UConn the ACC is asking itself whether to just wait until ND goes all in, and call it good at 14, or add UConn now and need another member in 3 years, with few good options to choose from.

Reaction Score
The ACC will form an ACCC Network, and will have easily the richest media markets in the country (compared to other conferences) to sell it to. I think this made the B1G desperate, given that they are landlocked, and have declining populations in all their major markets (Delaney has been concerned about demographics for years). So they made a grab to gain relevance in some additional markets. I think Notre Dame will request, and will receive, the UT treatment, and may have it's own Irish Network alongside the ACC Network...or will get a bigger split. I suspect this is the deal the B1G wouldn't give them, and the reason they went to the ACC.

I thought the ACC deal with ESPN included tier 3 rights. If so, and assuming I'm understanding it correctly, what benefit would an ACC offer them? Wouldn't all the revenue go to ESPN as part of the league's inclusive agreement?

How this would affect Notre Dame I'm not sure. I would presume in the very same way, if they were to become a full member of the ACC. Perhaps someone with a good knowledge of the broadcast rights can comment.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is what I expect as well. Notre Dame will join for football when the NBC contract is up. Thus, FSU and Clemson...let alone UVA and UNC, are going nowhere. The ACC will form an ACCC Network, and will have easily the richest media markets in the country (compared to other conferences) to sell it to. I think this made the B1G desperate, given that they are landlocked, and have declining populations in all their major markets (Delaney has been concerned about demographics for years). So they made a grab to gain relevance in some additional markets. I think Notre Dame will request, and will receive, the UT treatment, and may have it's own Irish Network alongside the ACC Network...or will get a bigger split. I suspect this is the deal the B1G wouldn't give them, and the reason they went to the ACC.

The league that needs to worry is not the ACC, it's the Big XII. The B1G may choose to move south (and should have added Mizzou), and the SEC, if it wants any schools, would go for UT and OU.

So for UConn the ACC is asking itself whether to just wait until ND goes all in, and call it good at 14, or add UConn now and need another member in 3 years, with few good options to choose from.

No way UT and OKLA go to SEC. That will never happen in anyones lifetime. OK and UT want to play for national championships why on God's green earth would they join the super football conference and pretty much give up the chance to play for national championships. They want the easiest road to the being able to play not the most difficult.

UT and OK are set for money until 2017 (I believe with their current deal) and unless the LHN continues to fail they are not jumping ship from the BIG XII and if they do decide to leave its the Pac 12 not the SEC. Much easier conference and the Longhorns would probably be able to negotiate to keep their network.

Also FSU is not really that interested in going to the BIG XII they are using that as leverage against hte SEC. The SEC is where they want to be and if the BIG XII adds FSU and Clemson that opens fertile recruiting grounds to a competing conference. The SEC is set for life with the greatest football conference in sports and they can get richer by adding FSU and Clemson and keeping that recruiting ground SEC country rather than allow another conference to start staking claims. FSU is just using politics to force the SECs hand and to overrule Florida by adding FSU.

Right now its about keeping other conferences out of media markets and keeping your territory. SEC has nowhere to expand as they are a deep south conference and will remain such til death do us part.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No way UT and OKLA go to SEC. That will never happen in anyones lifetime. OK and UT want to play for national championships why on God's green earth would they join the super football conference and pretty much give up the chance to play for national championships. They want the easiest road to the being able to play not the most difficult.

UT and OK are set for money until 2017 (I believe with their current deal) and unless the LHN continues to fail they are not jumping ship from the BIG XII and if they do decide to leave its the Pac 12 not the SEC. Much easier conference and the Longhorns would probably be able to negotiate to keep their network.

Also FSU is not really that interested in going to the BIG XII they are using that as leverage against hte SEC. The SEC is where they want to be and if the BIG XII adds FSU and Clemson that opens fertile recruiting grounds to a competing conference. The SEC is set for life with the greatest football conference in sports and they can get richer by adding FSU and Clemson and keeping that recruiting ground SEC country rather than allow another conference to start staking claims. FSU is just using politics to force the SECs hand and to overrule Florida by adding FSU.

Right now its about keeping other conferences out of media markets and keeping your territory. SEC has nowhere to expand as they are a deep south conference and will remain such til death do us part.

Didn't say OU and UT would move, just that the SEC probably doesn't see much value in anybody else.

Reaction Score
If ND commit to the acc for all sports, that will end all of this re-alignment. FSU and Clemson will go nowhere if ND is in the acc and it doesn't matter who the acc invites to fill the slots.

Reaction Score

How can the ACC form its own network, when ESPN controls its rights for the next 15 years?

Reaction Score
The answer is that ESPN needs to generate more money out of the ACC rights, and then share it with the conference members, or it risks losing a contract that currently has significant value to it because the price that they are paying is well below market.

They know this. All customers know that you can only squeeze so much profit out of a supplier before you choke it to death, and that choking a supplier to death is rarely in the interest o fthe customer so they stop short of doing it.

That is what is being talked about (true or not).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The answer is that ESPN needs to generate more money out of the ACC rights, and then share it with the conference members, or it risks losing a contract that currently has significant value to it because the price that they are paying is well below market.

They know this. All customers know that you can only squeeze so much profit out of a supplier before you choke it to death, and that choking a supplier to death is rarely in the interest o fthe customer so they stop short of doing it.

That is what is being talked about (true or not).

Yes. The ACC can't do it alone. Will ESPN save the golden goose?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Or the customer finds a supplier in Mexico, then China, then southeast Asia.

Fudan University to the ACC!

Reaction Score
bradwolverton 12:13pm via TweetDeck
Notre Dame president: "We're really happy in the ACC. But I am concerned about continual instability of this conference situation."

Wow. That is a major statement. Mike Brey had said something similar, but it wasn't as bad and he's not the president. For that high profile of a person to make that kind of statement in public must mean things are going really bad in the ACC's attempts to keep the rest of the conference together.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
understand what nd did when they moved
-they needed to put bball and others in a better conf then what the nbe was becoming for 3 years to get them to 2015
-the only conf that would let them do that stupidly was swofford and his acc. nd used the b12 to force these talks along.
-what nd was saying was we really like the east coast big cities for our alum, we will join this conf in 2015 once the tv stuff is the right time and this gives our fanbase some time to adjust to a new lifestyle.
-by joining we are giving all the acc emmbers a vote of confidence that we want to see this league survive and join full time soon.
-now we will watch for 3 years and see what happens. we have a small buyout % wise to all of you becuse no fball and were rich as so your contracts dont mean anything or they can mean everything...you move acc teams

the b10 saw this, JD is not dumb like swofford. he said alright, i'm going to take the east coast and make the 1st move. then the b12 and sec can eat up and then look at the power 4. nd is not fit for 3 of them so i get nd in the end. hahahjahahsaljshidhfdhiddhevillaugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom