DeJanae Boykin is a Husky | The Boneyard

DeJanae Boykin is a Husky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
imrs.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...kin-signs-with-connecticut-womens-basketball/

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow what a great picture of her family and it looks like coaches and others affiliated with her hoops career.

I would just like to point out... Looks like she had a press conference and it looks like it was big deal. Since we all know Stewie signed on the hood of her car, is this a problem for anyone? :p

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Just a formal signing ceremony at the school. A number of the Horde confirmed UConn had received her LOI on Thursday and Geno even commented on her.

Loved this quote:

“Not everybody gets the opportunity to be recruited by U-Conn. I’m one of the chosen ones. The fact that I”ll be there next year, it’s just a really cool opportunity.”

Reaction Score
Wow what a great picture of her family and it looks like coaches and others affiliated with her hoops career.

I would just like to point out... Looks like she had a press conference and it looks like it was big deal. Since we all know Stewie signed on the hood of her car, is this a problem for anyone? :p

I'm not answering any more of your questions, got enough flak on the middle finger thread.:eek:
Anyways a hearty welcome to DeJanae. I like her focus and toughness.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Not a problem for me. I think it's great she has her family around her.

Oh yea, and WELCOME. :D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not answering any more of your questions, got enough flak on the middle finger thread.:eek:
Anyways a hearty welcome to DeJanae. I like her focus and toughness.
Hey it's all good. Hopefully I didn't say anything untoward. I'm the nicest guy on the BY and as cuddly as a kitten! LOL

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This was as much about the recruiting opportunity it gives her HS as it was about DeJanae. I'm cool with it. It would have been cooler if they stuck a car hood on top of the table though! The article included an interesting quote from our future Husky: “Not everybody gets the opportunity to be recruited by U-Conn. I’m one of the chosen ones." What has been wrought in Storrs? "one of the chosen ones." :)

Reaction Score

Eric, Eric, Eric - Love you, but Come on, man! Unlike most of us college grads scribbling away on the BY, I would not be surprised if DeJanae were the very first member of her family to matriculate at such a prestigious university, receive a full ride, and be a part of the finest WBB program in the country. What an honor!! I absolutely understand their pride and celebration via the press conference. Way to go, Boykins! What works for Stewie is great; what works for the Boykins is great, too. To each his(her) own.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Totally agree.............Press is great............Getting herself ready for the UCONN Circus next October and beyond.............

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric, Eric, Eric - Love you, but Come on, man! Unlike most of us college grads scribbling away on the BY, I would not be surprised if DeJanae were the very first member of her family to matriculate at such a prestigious university, receive a full ride, and be a part of the finest WBB program in the country. What an honor!! I absolutely understand their pride and celebration via the press conference. Way to go, Boykins! What works for Stewie is great; what works for the Boykins is great, too. To each his(her) own.
My point was, several times when a top kid has eliminated UCONN and they decide to have a press conference about who they are choosing, SOME UCONN fans say "well we don't need a kid who wants that much publicity", or something related.

Even tho this is not the press conference to announce, it's a big deal and rightfully so. My comments were meant for BY'ers who pooh-pooh kids who want their moment in the sun, even if it's to announce on ESPN should that option be available. It's a huge deal for these kids and their families and I see no problem with any of them having a presser, whether to announce their college choice, or to sign their LOI. THAT was my point.

Oh, and hence the use of the emoticon. I could not find the "sarcasm off" emoticon anywhere!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Just a formal signing ceremony at the school. A number of the Horde confirmed UConn had received her LOI on Thursday and Geno even commented on her.

Loved this quote:

“Not everybody gets the opportunity to be recruited by U-Conn. I’m one of the chosen ones. The fact that I”ll be there next year, it’s just a really cool opportunity.”
I either forgot about or missed this quote. Thanks for posting. This quote speaks volumes about this young lady, and a lot about UConn. There is a lot in that short quote- Wow!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It should be noted (and has been noted) that calling a press conference to
announce where you are going is a different deal than having a public
signing ceremony at your high school.
And why is that? Why are some fans so judgmental of what a 17 year old girl chooses to do when announcing her college choice? ANY top 25 kid who announces on the men's side usually holds a presser. Charde Houston AND Maya Moore had a presser when they announced for UCONN and I don't recall any kind of outcry. So should we start in on those 2 as well?

I don't see where it's very different at all. Both are big deals, both involve parents and friends showing up, both involve the press, and both involve an announcement of one kind or another. Just let it go, people.

Reaction Score
And why is that? Why are some fans so judgmental of what a 17 year old girl chooses to do when announcing her college choice? ANY top 25 kid who announces on the men's side usually holds a presser. Charde Houston AND Maya Moore had a presser when they announced for UCONN and I don't recall any kind of outcry. So should we start in on those 2 as well?

I don't see where it's very different at all. Both are big deals, both involve parents and friends showing up, both involve the press, and both involve an announcement of one kind or another. Just let it go, people.
I think this whole issue got started when Geno tweeted his annoyance with recruits "holding a press conference" to narrow their choices down to their top 5 (or however many) (e.g. LaBron's "The Decision", only not even their final decision). Plus I suspect he was really annoyed because a particular recruit didn't advise the unsuccessful coaches (i.e. Geno) personally, rather through the (social) media.

I see his point, and I also think it's unrelated to celebrating with a signing ceremony weeks or months after the "decision" has already been announced.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think this whole issue got started when Geno tweeted his annoyance with recruits "holding a press conference" to narrow their choices down to their top 5 (or however many) (e.g. LaBron's "The Decision", only not even their final decision). Plus I suspect he was really annoyed because a particular recruit didn't advise the unsuccessful coaches (i.e. Geno) personally, rather through the (social) media.

I see his point, and I also think it's unrelated to celebrating with a signing ceremony weeks or months after the "decision" has already been announced.
You are absolutely right. However, my discussion was limited to holding press conferences for either announcing your actual college choice, or signing your LOI. I agree with you - holding a presser to announce "I've trimmed my list from 20 to 10 schools and here are the lucky ones I'm considering" is far too similar to Lebron "taking his talents to South Beach" - Blech!!. BUT... that isn't what I was referring to... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom