Deja Vu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Where have we heard this before?

Desmond Conner @desmondconner
Diaco: "We want to throw the ball deep down the field a lot...We want to catch a few of them." #UConnFootball

A vertical passing game?

Reaction Score
From just about every college football coach... Pure coachspeak.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From just about every college football coach... Pure coachspeak.

I don't remember edsall saying this

Ding and ding.

That was the point I was getting at. Edsall never used the terminology so when PPGDL said the vertical game was going to be an emphasis many fans and writer thought it was some revelation.

Reality is nearly every coach says it and it means nothing compared to HCBD's comments that INT's from the QB's will lead to 55 hand offs.

Reaction Score
I think the presence of GDavis and DFoxx just calls to be utilized. Dhameer Bradley and Brian Lamelle are also intriguing though we haven't heard much about Lamellae but both had their moments as true freshmen.

One thing I've said repeatedly is that the rules in football have been tailored to make the passing game a bigger part of the game. Pass interference has become ridiculous, and the new targeting rules all lend themselves to bigger plays in the passing game. If you have the personnel, you have to exploit those things.

Reaction Score
I think the presence of GDavis and DFoxx just calls to be utilized. Dhameer Bradley and Brian Lamelle are also intriguing though we haven't heard much about Lamellae but both had their moments as true freshmen.

One thing I've said repeatedly is that the rules in football have been tailored to make the passing game a bigger part of the game. Pass interference has become ridiculous, and the new targeting rules all lend themselves to bigger plays in the passing game. If you have the personnel, you have to exploit those things.
My lone lasting memory of Lemelle was the muffed kick vs Towson. A rare guy who had a ton of P5 offers and picked us though. Definite potential.

Reaction Score
My lone lasting memory of Lemelle was the muffed kick vs Towson. A rare guy who had a ton of P5 offers and picked us though. Definite potential.
He redeemed himself from that moment. Guess you stopped watching the games when ee lost to Towson

Reaction Score
Lamelle had the game clinching touchdown against RU on an impressive catch in the end zone. I see where Arkeel Newsome, is called UConn's first parade all american, but I thoughw Lamelle had earned that distinction.

He was shaky leading up to the muff against Towson, but that's on the coach you see a true freshman unsure fielding punts his first game, put a more seasoned guy back there at that crucial juncture to secure the catch. Thank God that era is over.

Reaction Score
Lamelle had the game clinching touchdown against RU on an impressive catch in the end zone. I see where Arkeel Newsome, is called UConn's first parade all american, but I thoughw Lamelle had earned that distinction.

Lemelle was Parade Magazine Honorable Mention.

Reaction Score
Brian is a good receiver. I saw him a bunch when he was at Mcdevitt, and always thought someone would be getting a player. Not a burner, but he runs good routes and typically displays solid hands. I could see your QB looking for him a bunch when he needs a tough conversion.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
As much talent as we have at WR, our vertical game completely depends on our OL development. We couldn't throw anything but quick slants and screens under GDL's confusing zone blocking schemes because our QBs were under pressure as soon as the ball hit their fingertips. When Weiss (and Coach Foley) went back to man-up blocking, we were able to move the ball in the air. I know it sounds like Captain Obvious speak, but our passing game begins and ends with our OL.

Reaction Score
When I say you need the personnel, I definitely include the OL in that. You need at least average pass blocking to exploit the newer, pass friendly rules.

Reaction Score
This is not a direct recollection or quote, but prior to the first season under PPGDL, it was stated something like

"we are going to be an explosive offence......throw the ball down field"

I was excited until the first game " thought no more boring offensive threats that relied on 3 yards and a cloud of dust"

Then realized same ole offense lacking in talent (for three years) in critical skill positions....."QB, receiver, and coaches"

I'll adopt a reserved enthusiasm at this point. Especially if we end up running the ball 65 times.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'm at the point where an International bowl-esque run percentage would be fine, as long as we're gaining yards. Edsalls inside draw became pp's run into the line. I want positive yardage in any form.

Reaction Score
This is not a direct recollection or quote, but prior to the first season under PPGDL, it was stated something like

"we are going to be an explosive offence.throw the ball down field"

I was excited until the first game " thought no more boring offensive threats that relied on 3 yards and a cloud of dust"

Then realized same ole offense lacking in talent (for three years) in critical skill positions....."QB, receiver, and coaches"

I'll adopt a reserved enthusiasm at this point. Especially if we end up running the ball 65 times.
Yes, talk of gaining "big chunks" of yardage on 1st and 2nd down. The offense quickly became LM on 1st down for 3 yds, LM on 2nd down for-1yd, third and long situation.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
As long as we're not facing as many 3rd and impossibly longs, I'm cool. Stay on schedule for the most part and take an occasional shot down field on 1st or 2nd down. That's what I want. No more 0 yard plays on 1st down coupled with a delay of game -5 yards penalty and a burned useless timeout because nobody in the huddle knew what is being run.

Reaction Score
Yes, talk of gaining "big chunks" of yardage on 1st and 2nd down. The offense quickly became LM on 1st down for 3 yds, LM on 2nd down for-1yd, third and long situation.

I have a hard time believing we averaged 3 yards on 1st down carries into the line.

EDIT: I think it's much closer to 0.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I will personally nominate for the hall of fame the next coach that says, "We plan to beat people up, run the ball right through them, and the QB's job is to not throw interceptions and keep the defense from playing 8/9 in the box. Whoever does that will be the starter."

Reaction Score
I will personally nominate for the hall of fame the next coach that says, "We plan to beat people up, run the ball right through them, and the QB's job is to not throw interceptions and keep the defense from playing 8/9 in the box. Whoever does that will be the starter."

Tom Coughlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek