Deja vu? | The Boneyard

Deja vu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last night's game made me think about the narrow victory that what many think was the Greatest Team of All Time had in 2002. I'm sure many of you recall it better than I, so do you see some similarities to our 6-point win at Va. Tech?

As I recall, we played poorly and the officiating was bizarre. Something like last night.

It was a road game against a solid team. Like last night.

We led most/all of the game. Like last night.

Tech rallied to tie the game with a few minutes left, and we closed it out with a 6-0 run. A bit like last night.

I think Sue and/or Dee had a facial expression to the effect of "That's enough of this nonsense, we are winning this game." Was that Stef or Bria last night?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
All over again...

I think the closeness of the game and the way it ended up will pay off for the team down the road. Geno has their attention. You can't have half your team shoot the way they did against decent competition. You can't have Brianna and Saniya buried on the bench for all but 7 or 8 combined minutes especially if you are missing Morgan Tuck. Not to take anything away from Baylor because they had a terrific game plan (notice I didn't say they played terrific - but the phantom fouls they drew along with UCONN's anemic offensive performance all contributed to the solid team Baylor is anyway), but this team is on a mission and I think the scattered performance will be a good thing in the long run.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
There are also some differences between the V. Tech game & this year's Baylor game.

You are mistaken on the score; it was 59-50. A controversial foul on UConn was responsible for the 50-50 tie, I believe. I think it was
called a deliberate foul and gave VT a chance at 6 straight pts and the tie. Or something like that.

V Tech did not even make the NCAA's that year. And they had no dominant player like Sims. A victory by VT would have been much more shocking than if Baylor won Monday.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
V Tech did not even make the NCAA's that year. And they had no dominant player like Sims. A victory by VT would have been much more shocking than if Baylor won Monday.
Yeah, it was a 9 point win, but one that felt like the Huskies were trying to swim through wet cement. And after watching the Monday game highlights film on the Baylor athletics site, I'm thinking they must have actually won the game. They completely dominated the action, hitting 3 after 3 and slicing up the Huskies, while UConn doesn't look like it made any shots. Then they quickly cut to Geno and Kim shaking hands and say that UConn won, but I don't see any evidence of it. Very weird.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was a 9 point win, but one that felt like the Huskies were trying to swim through wet cement. And after watching the Monday game highlights film on the Baylor athletics site, I'm thinking they must have actually won the game. They completely dominated the action, hitting 3 after 3 and slicing up the Huskies, while UConn doesn't look like it made any shots. Then they quickly cut to Geno and Kim shaking hands and say that UConn won, but I don't see any evidence of it. Very weird.
It's like Geno said recently. With the new editing software, etc., you can make the team look great or make them look awful. Baylor obviously chose 'great'. (But they can't edit the won-lost column.)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yup. I remember it well. Was living in NC at the time, and drove up for the game. That was the game of the Fantastic Fantom Flagrant Foul on D. She trailed the girl driving for a layup, reached across and made a brilliant, no-contact, clean block, and got called for a flagrant. I am trying to remember who the ref was who called it; I thought I would never forget. I am sure some younger boneyarder will be able to remind me. Maybe someone will even have a video of it. (It was NOT Sally.) It would have been funny if it hadn't been so potentially important. I do remember that D was so bumfuzzled by the call that she didn't even protest;all she could do was laugh unbelievingly.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Yup. I remember it well. Was living in NC at the time, and drove up for the game. That was the game of the Fantastic Fantom Flagrant Foul on D. She trailed the girl driving for a layup, reached across and made a brilliant, no-contact, clean block, and got called for a flagrant. I am trying to remember who the ref was who called it; I thought I would never forget. I am sure some younger boneyarder will be able to remind me. Maybe someone will even have a video of it. (It was NOT Sally.) It would have been funny if it hadn't been so potentially important. I do remember that D was so bumfuzzled by the call that she didn't even protest;all she could do was laugh unbelievingly.

Was it June C.?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yes, it was. Tyvm. One of the absolutely worst calls I have ever witnissed. Inexcusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom