Dehydration and full body cramps. | The Boneyard

Dehydration and full body cramps.

Reaction Score
Just a couple of weeks ago we were progressing nicely into March. Then out of nowhere our best player, who was also trending upward, collapsed in MSG tunnel with full body cramps and had to be carried to the locker room. It was painful just to watch. The last time I remember seeing a player so debilitated by cramps was Kellen Winslow on a hot, humid day in Miami in 1993. And it wasn't just weather and cramps, he had a pinched nerve in his shoulder, a strained rotator cuff and lost 13 pounds during the game. But that was almost 30 years ago when sports medicine was nowhere near as advanced as it is today.

How did James Bouknight end up on the tunnel floor? How on Earth can a major college basketball program allow such a situation to develop? Who is to blame? The program has a health and conditioning program and full time trainers. This wasn't some run of the mill cramp that we see from time to time. It was a two bag IV dehydration by the player on the team that receives (or should receive) the most attention. The rehab of an elbow shouldn't have this kind of reaction. What was the state of his overall conditioning? Doesn't Bouk have a pre-game routine? Was it followed? Did someone make sure it was followed? Did the coaches make sure the conditioning staff was on the job? What happened to Bouk should never happen in a two hour basketball game in an air conditioned arena.

Bouk's jumpshot never returned in the three games after the incident. The jump shot starts in the legs. Bouk was not the explosive, stop and go, jump out of the gym athlete we had watched in the past.

So the questions remain. What happened? Why did it happen? Who was responsible? Who is responsible for making sure it doesn't happen to Husky again? They are reasonable questions. I will NOT hold my breath waiting for the university to respond.

Reaction Score
Just a couple of weeks ago we were progressing nicely into March. Then out of nowhere our best player, who was also trending upward, collapsed in MSG tunnel with full body cramps and had to be carried to the locker room. It was painful just to watch. The last time I remember seeing a player so debilitated by cramps was Kellen Winslow on a hot, humid day in Miami in 1993. And it wasn't just weather and cramps, he had a pinched nerve in his shoulder, a strained rotator cuff and lost 13 pounds during the game. But that was almost 30 years ago when sports medicine was nowhere near as advanced as it is today.

How did James Bouknight end up on the tunnel floor? How on Earth can a major college basketball program allow such a situation to develop? Who is to blame? The program has a health and conditioning program and full time trainers. This wasn't some run of the mill cramp that we see from time to time. It was a two bag IV dehydration by the player on the team that receives (or should receive) the most attention. The rehab of an elbow shouldn't have this kind of reaction. What was the state of his overall conditioning? Doesn't Bouk have a pre-game routine? Was it followed? Did someone make sure it was followed? Did the coaches make sure the conditioning staff was on the job? What happened to Bouk should never happen in a two hour basketball game in an air conditioned arena.

Bouk's jumpshot never returned in the three games after the incident. The jump shot starts in the legs. Bouk was not the explosive, stop and go, jump out of the gym athlete we had watched in the past.

So the questions remain. What happened? Why did it happen? Who was responsible? Who is responsible for making sure it doesn't happen to Husky again? They are reasonable questions. I will NOT hold my breath waiting for the university to respond.
It’s a darn good question and unfortunately I doubt we will ever see an answer. There several mysteries this season with limited to 0 information, this being one of them. I guess as a college sports program, players are more insulated then they would be as professional athletes, so as frustrating as it is as fans, we will never know.
I do agree though, it made no sense. It had to be a combination of injury/being out of shape/poor hydration and lack of awareness by the medical staff/and the player overreacting a bit.

Reaction Score
omg-sigh-gif – supernatural snark

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Back when Bouk was injured, there was mention of other advisor types aside from DH and staff that were helping him make decisions. Could the cupping and subsequent dehydration/lethargy be a result of some bad advice from his outside advisors?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom