Defensively #1 team! | The Boneyard

Defensively #1 team!

Reaction Score
UConn women’s basketball team a can play lock down defense against any team in women’s college basketball but if they can play a solid offensive game they can cut down the nets! Offensively they really don’t have a horse to ride or should I say someone to get a bucket to stop the other team in their mist of a run. Crystal can be that a little bit but she needs to run the team. Imagine if they had a solid back up at point and move Crystal to the 2 spot?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn women’s basketball team a can play lock down defense against any team in women’s college basketball but if they can play a solid offensive game they can cut down the nets! Offensively they really don’t have a horse to ride or should I say someone to get a bucket to stop the other team in their mist of a run. Crystal can be that a little bit but she needs to run the team. Imagine if they had a solid back up at point and move Crystal to the 2 spot?
Actually, UConn is running more sets with Anna running the point and Crystal coming off screens looking for a catch and shoot 3.

Reaction Score
Both Baylor and South Carolina are rated higher both offensively and defensively by Massey. To beat those two teams, UConn has to elevate while they stagnate. Oregon is the best offensive team in the nation, but UConn’s defense is much more highly rated.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Both Baylor and South Carolina are rated higher both offensively and defensively by Massey. To beat those two teams, UConn has to elevate while they stagnate. Oregon is the best offensive team in the nation, but UConn’s defense is much more highly rated.
Going by the eye-test after watching all 3 teams yesterday, Oregon plays really good defense along with great offense. SC deserves to be #1. Clearly, Baylor is the most vulnerable team to upset.

Baylor held Iowa St to 34.5% shooting. But the Cyclones slowed the game down, hit 10 x 3’s, and really battled Baylor’s dominant frontcourt on defense.

When UConn played Baylor the Huskies were still in the game with 4 minutes left, until they lost their poise down the stretch. If UConn isn’t going to Ft Wayne, I would just as soon see them head to Dallas.

Reaction Score
Going by the eye-test after watching all 3 teams yesterday, Oregon plays really good defense along with great offense. SC deserves to be #1. Clearly, Baylor is the most vulnerable team to upset.

Baylor held Iowa St to 34.5% shooting. But the Cyclones slowed the game down, hit 10 x 3’s, and really battled Baylor’s dominant frontcourt on defense.

When UConn played Baylor the Huskies were still in the game with 4 minutes left, until they lost their poise down the stretch. If UConn isn’t going to Ft Wayne, I would just as soon see them head to Dallas.
I watched all of the games and totally agreed with you on all points. Our weakness is the frontcourt defensively plays into Baylor's hands. They are very vulnerable on the offensive of the ball. South Carolina has a very good defense. They play what appears to be a matchup 3-2 zone with Harrigan in the middle. This prevents the PG from playing pick and roll because she takes the PG after the screen and it also is effective against the weave that a lot of teams run offensively. They get out on transition off of there superior defense and rebounding very well. Oregon has Sabrina the best player in WCBB at present. They are the best team offensively with Hebard and Satoully as 2nd and third option. Boley and Moore can hurt you as well. They are mature and don't seem to get rattled. We could beat any of them on a given day if we shoot lights outs. I think it will be Oregon against South Carolina in the final. Then it's a tossup.

Reaction Score
I watched all of the games and totally agreed with you on all points. Our weakness is the frontcourt defensively plays into Baylor's hands. They are very vulnerable on the offensive of the ball. South Carolina has a very good defense. They play what appears to be a matchup 3-2 zone with Harrigan in the middle. This prevents the PG from playing pick and roll because she takes the PG after the screen and it also is effective against the weave that a lot of teams run offensively. They get out on transition off of there superior defense and rebounding very well. Oregon has Sabrina the best player in WCBB at present. They are the best team offensively with Hebard and Satoully as 2nd and third option. Boley and Moore can hurt you as well. They are mature and don't seem to get rattled. We could beat any of them on a given day if we shoot lights outs. I think it will be Oregon against South Carolina in the final. Then it's a tossup.

South Carolina generally plays man defense.

That was a special for Miss State based on the prior meeting, I think.

Looked pretty good though.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

It's 5 (UCONN) vs. 11 (Oregon) on Massey, so, if that's the standard, I don't think the "much" is really accurate. It's also 1 (Oregon) vs. 10 (UCONN) on offense, and the same for strength of schedule. So--again, if Massey is the Bible here--there's a larger gap for the last two than the first.

Reaction Score
It's 5 (UCONN) vs. 11 (Oregon) on Massey, so, if that's the standard, I don't think the "much" is really accurate. It's also 1 (Oregon) vs. 10 (UCONN) on offense, and the same for strength of schedule. So--again, if Massey is the Bible here--there's a larger gap for the last two than the first.
I agree. I tried to edit out the much after posting, to no avail. Chalk it up to jet lag

Reaction Score
SC is strictly man defense. The only time we zoned all year was against Mississippi State because of that dribble drive hand off offense they run with their fast guards.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Actually, UConn is running more sets with Anna running the point and Crystal coming off screens looking for a catch and shoot 3.
That is actually what I thought I have been seeing for a few games now. It has appeared to me that Anna is, at times running point and allowing Crystal to more of a shooting guard.

Man, it actually feels kind of good that others are seeing what I think I'm seeing. :)

Reaction Score
SC is strictly man defense. The only time we zoned all year was against Mississippi State because of that dribble drive hand off offense they run with their fast guards.
That shows good coaching. I will watch the SC vs UConn again to see what they were doing to hold us to 2 points in the first quarter. It will difficult to watch but will be fun to analyze.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
That shows good coaching. I will watch the SC vs UConn again to see what they were doing to hold us to 2 points in the first quarter. It will difficult to watch but will be fun to analyze.

It's amazing to me how some coaches are unwilling to switch up their defense or play style based on what the opponent does best. But I'm also aware that not all teams have the athletes that SC has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom