Defensive performance vs Creighton and Xavier | The Boneyard

Defensive performance vs Creighton and Xavier

Reaction Score
I thought the defense against Creighton was just as clinical if not more than against Xavier. Xavier was so bad that I’m not sure we gained much? Creighton has their full roster and a legit big man in Kalkbrenner….we neutralized him with timely double teams. Did we really improve that much after the Creighton game (I know DC’s impact is huge), or did Xavier bring their JV team?

Reaction Score
I thought the defense against Creighton was just as clinical if not more than against Xavier. Xavier was so bad that I’m not sure we gained much? Creighton has their full roster and a legit big man in Kalkbrenner….we neutralized him with timely double teams. Did we really improve that much after the Creighton game (I know DC’s impact is huge), or did Xavier bring their JV team?
I think ..we are clicking. And see the value of players who will stay for a few years to keep the gears greased either the new guys as we run a very complicated system on both ends. We look like the smart kids in class and have gotten comfortable with that belief. We still want to be seen as cool so we play really hard and emotionally as well.

Reaction Score
I think ..we are clicking. And see the value of players who will stay for a few years to keep the gears greased either the new guys as we run a very complicated system on both ends. We look like the smart kids in class and have gotten comfortable with that belief. We still want to be seen as cool so we play really hard and emotionally as well.
Something else that has been amazing to watch is the buy-in. I'm thinking more on offense than on defense here, where, if you watch a possession, you'll see, e.g. Samson Johnson set an off-ball screen, receive a pass, make another pass, screen the ballhandler, and roll to the rim for a dunk. That's a lot of work a guy is putting in with faith that it'll be rewarded at the end of the possession.

Reaction Score
Clingan.
This. With Clingan in the paint, guards can run guys off the three point line and not grab/be as physical (ie. Foul), knowing that their man getting into the lane with Clingan waiting there is not really a big issue.

Reaction Score
Xavier’s gameplan was to get into the paint and attack the rim. Last time they got 27 FTs out of it and scored 75 on us

This time we had Donovan Clingan. That may literally be the only difference

Creighton was a better defensive performance. Everyone was engaged, active, giving 100%, and rotations were nearly perfect. Xavier just kept running into a brick wall and then panicking. Clingan makes that much of a difference

Reaction Score
From articles I have seen.
Xavier shot 3 for 23 from 2pt land with Clingan in the game.
In the full game Xavier shot 4-14 from 1-3ft from the basket
Clingan was in for 35 defensive possessions and gave up 12 pts total = .34pts per possession
UConn is 3rd in the country in 10-0 'kill' runs moving up from #17 in 2 games with 7 kill runs
UConn line up of Castle, Clingan, Karaban, Spencer, Newton is outscoring opposition 62 points per 100 possessions
That is the #1 efficiency lineup in the country

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom