Defensive Improvement This Year | The Boneyard

Defensive Improvement This Year

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best defense UConn has had in years.

I was one of those fans who said at the beginning of the year, I wanted a UConn defense which was good enough for the opponents to have to use their first string players all game and actually be running their offense all 4 qtrs. Fresno, Purdue and Army most definitely did not fall in to that category. The rest of the games have been competitive.

Back in 2018 UConn had empirically one of the three worst defenses in the history of college football. PPG were a shade over 50, yards per play was over 8.5 and teams averaged over 610 yards per game. And this was with most teams starting the second half with second or third string players and just running out the clock.

2019 saw some improvements. PPG was down to 40 ppg, yards per play down to 7.0 and yards per game was about 445 yards. Again, almost every game saw teams playing second string by early second half and using the fourth quarter to run out the clock.

2020. Bye year.

2021. PPG down to 35. Yards per play at 5.8 and yards per game at 433.

Is there's year's team defense good? No. It's between below average and bad. Compared to the previous two seasons, it's been fantastic.

Offense has gotten progressively worse as defense has improved, but the regression on offense has been less than the improvement on defense. 2018's team scored about 22 ppg and was a -28 in points differential. 2019 scored about 20 ppg and was a -21 in point differential. This year's team is down to 16.6 ppg and is a -19 points differential.

Not sure what any of this means. Just noticed on the UConn football page you could select stats for the 2018-2021 seasons rather easily.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
1/3 of the schedule was UMass and FCS. I do agree though. Definitely improved. If Travis Jones waits on the draft another year and other defensive stars stick around too we’re talking a real nice defense next year.

Reaction Score
Agree, the D is improving, but it’s from such a low base that we still have a long way to go.

The Crocker defenses were incomprehensibly bad. How Edsall came to the conclusion to keep him on a second year is a mystery to me.

We used to get very good LB talent and play. We simply don’t anymore. Mitchel has some promise. Letting Beavers get away was a huge loss.

Reaction Score
It is nice to see improvement. But the D will not make a leap forward until we improve the pass rush. That requires either a single great pass rusher that has to be double teamed, or a blitz concept that gets home.

We currently average 0.7 sacks a game which is 126th out of 129 D1 teams. It is simply impossible to have a good defense with that number.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
It is nice to see improvement. But the D will not make a leap forward until we improve the pass rush. That requires either a single great pass rusher that has to be double teamed or a blitz concept that get home.
The pass rush was great against Yale (yeah, I know....) with a lot of hurries, resulting in all those picks. If they can hurry MTSU the same way, we could see great results tonight.

Reaction Score
130th in 2018
124th in 2019
104th in 2021

Definitely an improvement… still a bad defense, but the defense is on an upward trajectory for sure.

Reaction Score
It is nice to see improvement. But the D will not make a leap forward until we improve the pass rush. That requires either a single great pass rusher that has to be double teamed, or a blitz concept that gets home.

We currently average 0.7 sacks a game which is 126th out of 129 D1 teams. It is simply impossible to have a good defense with that number.

......and before anyone posts that we don't blitz enough, to my eye we blitz fairly often and we simply don't have the athletes to get home. Totally agree that we haven't had an edge rusher here for a decade.

Reaction Score
Agree, the D is improving, but it’s from such a low base that we still have a long way to go.

The Crocker defenses were incomprehensibly bad. How Edsall came to the conclusion to keep him on a second year is a mystery to me.

We used to get very good LB talent and play. We simply don’t anymore. Mitchel has some promise. Letting Beavers get away was a huge loss.
I'd argue that Beavers would be good, but likely not as good, if he stayed here because he has had a different set of coaches the past 3 years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1/3 of the schedule was UMass and FCS. I do agree though. Definitely improved. If Travis Jones waits on the draft another year and other defensive stars stick around too we’re talking a real nice defense next year.

Well, they did lose to UMass and barely squeaked by Rhode Island in 2018.
In 2019 they squeaked by Wagner and but did beat UMass by a decent margin.

It's not like 2018 and 2019 were SEC West schedules.

Reaction Score
Improvement is missing right now. Poor defensive back play and poor tackling is killing them defensively in the first half.

Reaction Score
Best defense UConn has had in years.

I was one of those fans who said at the beginning of the year, I wanted a UConn defense which was good enough for the opponents to have to use their first string players all game and actually be running their offense all 4 qtrs. Fresno, Purdue and Army most definitely did not fall in to that category. The rest of the games have been competitive.

Back in 2018 UConn had empirically one of the three worst defenses in the history of college football. PPG were a shade over 50, yards per play was over 8.5 and teams averaged over 610 yards per game. And this was with most teams starting the second half with second or third string players and just running out the clock.

2019 saw some improvements. PPG was down to 40 ppg, yards per play down to 7.0 and yards per game was about 445 yards. Again, almost every game saw teams playing second string by early second half and using the fourth quarter to run out the clock.

2020. Bye year.

2021. PPG down to 35. Yards per play at 5.8 and yards per game at 433.

Is there's year's team defense good? No. It's between below average and bad. Compared to the previous two seasons, it's been fantastic.

Offense has gotten progressively worse as defense has improved, but the regression on offense has been less than the improvement on defense. 2018's team scored about 22 ppg and was a -28 in points differential. 2019 scored about 20 ppg and was a -21 in point differential. This year's team is down to 16.6 ppg and is a -19 points differential.

Not sure what any of this means. Just noticed on the UConn football page you could select stats for the 2018-2021 seasons rather easily.

Is this aging well?

Reaction Score
Krajewski played desperate and stupid.

But he wasn't any worse than anyone else on the field. How many false starts (at home) beforre you lose your job?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Krajewski played desperate and stupid.

But he wasn't any worse than anyone else on the field. How many false starts (at home) beforre you lose your job?
Protection is non existent, never thought in my wildest dreams that this program would fall so far

Reaction Score
MTSU consistently threw at #21 Lucien and were consistently successful. He looked rusty out there.

Reaction Score
MTSU consistently threw at #21 Lucien and were consistently successful. He looked rusty out there.
Putting speed and talent aside, the Defense can’t execute basic football fundamentals across any position. That’s a coaching failure.

Reaction Score
Protection is non existent, never thought in my wildest dreams that this program would fall so far
Look at Steven Krajewski first half stats. Phenomenal. Totally different player. This shows you that the coaches can not make adjustments at the half and get out coaches. Obviously the player doesn’t change… what does. Just some food for thought

Attachments

• 454BCB3F-7D44-468A-9A15-356673899D26.png
    454BCB3F-7D44-468A-9A15-356673899D26.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 113

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Look at Steven Krajewski first half stats. Phenomenal. Totally different player. This shows you that the coaches can not make adjustments at the half and get out coaches. Obviously the player doesn’t change… what does. Just some food for thought
Oy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom