Deep WNBA draft? | The Boneyard

Deep WNBA draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't really follow the W so I don't know much about how skills that are needed, etc. But it seems to me like this could be a pretty good draft.
Chiney, Sims, McBride, Dolson, Hartley, Thomas -- those are 6 pretty good players
Then there's Chelsea Gray, Achonwa, Maggie Lucas, Shimmel, Jennifer O'Neil, WV's Bussie. Even Simmons has potential because of her speed.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Liston, Gatling of NC State, and Howard of FSU all have a shot to get drafted.. As does Marshall of GaTech.

Reaction Score
I don't really follow the W so I don't know much about how skills that are needed, etc. But it seems to me like this could be a pretty good draft.
Chiney, Sims, McBride, Dolson, Hartley, Thomas -- those are 6 pretty good players
Then there's Chelsea Gray, Achonwa, Maggie Lucas, Shimmel, Jennifer O'Neil, WV's Bussie. Even Simmons has potential because of her speed.

Thoughts?

there is a big drop off from the top 6

Reaction Score
It's better than a lot of drafts where a number of first rounders didn't even make their team's rosters. With the expanded rosters, looks like at least 10 will make it this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
there is a big drop off from the top 6
Not sure I agree about that - not necessarily with those listed but Liston and Achonwa are I think pretty solid prospects and there are others. I don't think you have the absolute top end players like EDD, Griner, or Moore so the lottery is a little less important, but I do think there is a first round of solid prospects. There are always a few shocking selections and I actually think Lucas, O'Neil, or Simmons are second round talents - deeply flawed players with some very good skills. Gray ends up being a medical gamble.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree about that - not necessarily with those listed but Liston and Achonwa are I think pretty solid prospects and there are others. I don't think you have the absolute top end players like EDD, Griner, or Moore so the lottery is a little less important, but I do think there is a first round of solid prospects. There are always a few shocking selections and I actually think Lucas, O'Neil, or Simmons are second round talents - deeply flawed players with some very good skills. Gray ends up being a medical gamble.

Liston is one dimensional, she has a tough time creating her shot. Achonwa is an overachiever, who is probably a step slow, and lacks good post moves.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She is scoring 18.2 points a game shooting .563 and .496 from 3 as well as .881 on her 84 FT YTD - with 5.6 rebounds a game - those stats compare nicely to KML's last year and pretty darned solid. She is in a shooting slump at the moment as the last time I checked she was I think around .520 from three and .600 overall. And she doesn't have quite the supporting cast or coaching that KML has.
(I was surprised a month ago when someone put her on an AA list because I had no idea she was such a sharp shooter, but it is hard to argue with that kind of production against a very good SOS.)

Reaction Score
She is scoring 18.2 points a game shooting .563 and .496 from 3 as well as .881 on her 84 FT YTD - with 5.6 rebounds a game - those stats compare nicely to KML's last year and pretty darned solid. She is in a shooting slump at the moment as the last time I checked she was I think around .520 from three and .600 overall. And she doesn't have quite the supporting cast or coaching that KML has.
(I was surprised a month ago when someone put her on an AA list because I had no idea she was such a sharp shooter, but it is hard to argue with that kind of production against a very good SOS.)

There is no question Liston can shoot in college. I have my doubts if she can get open looks in the WNBA, or cover anyone.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Her free throw shooting has tailed off this season... she used to be automatic... now she is just really good. It kinda parallels J.J. Redick's senior season... when his FT' % noticeably dropped as he had to shoulder more of the offensive load.... just like Liston has this season. Now that I think about it... her career reminds me of Redick.... except that Redick was a starter and double digit scorer as a freshman. In my opinion, she has improved as much as any current senior in the country over where they were their freshman season. When I saw her as a freshman.. I thought.... she sure can shoot.... but thats about it. Now she is a scorer.... a capable ball handler.... and an above average rebounder for a SG.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?

Somone should draft BYU's Jen Hamson in the first round if they have any brains. She has potential to be as good as Griner. I'd take Achonwa only after Chiney or Dolson. She anchors this year's ND team and probably did during Skylar's years too.

Jennifer Schlott (Utah State) is as good a scoring guard as any in WCBB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another under-the-radar player with significant potential, a nice second or even third round pick, is Gonzaga guard Haiden Palmer.

Reaction Score
It's better than a lot of drafts where a number of first rounders didn't even make their team's rosters. With the expanded rosters, looks like at least 10 will make it this year.

The WNBA needs to adapt a Minor League for women's basketball to give players a chance to develop.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The WNBA needs to adapt a Minor League for women's basketball to give players a chance to develop.
I think it is called 'overseas'. The good USA players and even some moderate players can get jobs playing for european or asian leagues. Gradler was playing in Sweden for a couple of years I think - and she was no where near AA material in college. McLaren was doing very well in Greece.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think this will be a good draft class. Got some good shooters in the class Simmons, Lucas and Schimmel.

Reaction Score
I think it is called 'overseas'. The good USA players and even some moderate players can get jobs playing for european or asian leagues. Gradler was playing in Sweden for a couple of years I think - and she was no where near AA material in college. McLaren was doing very well in Greece.

I doubt if all the players who would play in a U.S. based WBB minor league play overseas now. They probably just get married or get jobs here. Not everyone's ready to go to a foreign country on their own right out of college. How many posters here have even lived overseas? (I have- Germany for two years)

Reaction Score
I think this will be a good draft class. Got some good shooters in the class Simmons, Lucas and Schimmel.

I think Jennifer Schlott is as good as any guard in the country including Sims.

Reaction Score
I think Jennifer Schlott is as good as any guard in the country including Sims.

I haven't seen her play, but based purely on numbers, I'd rank her between Schimmel and Lucas. But she is small and plays for a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. Hard to say how she really stacks up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I doubt if all the players who would play in a U.S. based WBB minor league play overseas now. They probably just get married or get jobs here. Not everyone's ready to go to a foreign country on their own right out of college. How many posters here have even lived overseas? (I have- Germany for two years)
If they go that route than they don't deserve a league and lets face it the ones that do get into the W and actually want to earn a living wage all play overseas as well. And if the WNBA totters every year on bankruptcy what makes you think a minor league could be sustained?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The NC State center, Gatling, should be a high draft pick. She has a big body and can really finish around the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom