Dee Kantner | The Boneyard

Dee Kantner

Reaction Score
It used to be a pleasure to watch Dee Kantner officiate games. There was a flow and a sense of equity. The last few years not so much.

As a UConn fan, it started with Arike tripping Crystal right next to Dee and nothing was called. But then as I watched more games she officiated, it appeared that her calls became more questionable.

I don't say this to diss Dee but to bemoan the downslide of one of the best refs in the game. Maybe, as with Doris Burke, one just has to move on after a while.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A sense of equity? Calling it fairly, yes. But I have been at games where one team commits a lot of fouls and the other doesn't.

In the day Dee was certainly one of the best. I haven't seen enough of her to say she isn't anymore.

Unfortunately, I am out west. I got to watch my Arizona Wildcats - PAC 12 refs allow virtually any kind of scrum and any kind of mugging under the basket (provided of course you don't touch the shooters arm). My other team, Rutgers, would never win a PAC game. Arizona goes with the flow and gives as good as they get. Sometimes you just have to play the way the ref's prefer.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
When was Dee good? 15 years ago? Sorry like when Sally Bell was doing a game whenever I see Dee I cringe. There are a few others Jesse, Bonita that stand out no matter what game they are calling.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
When was Dee good? 15 years ago? Sorry like when Sally Bell was doing a game whenever I see Dee I cringe. There are a few others Jesse, Bonita that stand out no matter what game they are calling.
Dee used to officiate games at NC State when I was in college (mid to late 1980s). Used to have to scream at her then! She is one of the more respected and well-known officials out there. Amazing she still has the stamina to run up and down the court several times a week nowadays; she's no longer a spring chicken.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...I don't say this to diss Dee but to bemoan the downslide of one of the best refs in the game. Maybe, as with Doris Burke, one just has to move on after a while.
Huh, you are comparing two Completely different trajectories: Doris was promoted to do ESPN feature platform-NBA which they overpaid for while Dee was fired from the NBA and had to come back to the college game. My view is that demotion Hs created a chip on her shoulder where she wants to prove she “sees” the game more with more scrutiny than anyone else, especially when it’s a marquee game and on national tv which almost always every UConn game....

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Dee was fired from the NBA and had to come back to the college game. My view is that demotion Hs created a chip on her shoulder where she wants to prove she “sees” the game more with more scrutiny than anyone else, especially when it’s a marquee game and on national tv which almost always every UConn game....
Oh my...I had completely forgotten about this. And it's interesting...because Dee seemed to be doing more college games of late and I was also thinking that she was doing NBA games...just hadn't had enough curiosity to look it up.

Memory just a'int what it used to be, obviously.

Reaction Score
Dee Kanter and Missy Barlow should ref a Stanford-UConn game together so that it's 6 on 6.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Dee Kanter and Missy Barlow should ref a Stanford-UConn game together so that it's 6 on 6.
You can have Melissa Barlow. But she would allow Stanford to play the "PAC" way - and Dee would actually be perceived as favoring UConn in that match-up - she would not tolerate the PAC style I noted above.

I feel about Barlow the way the UConn fans seem to feel about Dee, who - back when I was in the east following Rutgers - I liked. It has been 10 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom