Dee Kanter doing final 4 games | The Boneyard

Dee Kanter doing final 4 games

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Melissa Barlow who made a few interesting calls in UConn's Sweet 16 game is in the F4 official's pool as well.
You definitely don't want her if you can help it. That's the ref that Adia Barnes was talking about when she got fined earlier this year.

She is not popular with fan-bases in the PAC, she royally wrecked a Rutgers game years and years ago, really a bit of a wild card. Like certain other famous refs in the past, you just got to ask "What is she looking at?"

On the other hand, I like Dee. I wasn't fond of Vaszily when we were at Rutgers, we always said he compensated for being local. The rest are all top refs, although I have heard other fans are not always fond of Maj. Barlow, Bird and Michol are the only ones that work the PAC I think.

Reaction Score
Could they use refs from the men's game to increase the quality of officiating for the women's games?

Reaction Score
The good news is Dee’s ears are fine. As I recall she called a technical on an ND player for saying something to Geno. However, she appeared to miss two blatant calls in that same game that some boneyarders considered in need of review.

Reaction Score
There are some new & deserving refs in the group. LOL... and we won't see Benny Luna again!
But Melissa Barlow is one of the lowest rated refs in the Pac 12 and she is chosen for the 10th straight year. I don't believe they will assign her to a Stanford game since that is her conference. But I'm not sure how it works.
Dee Kantner is chosen for the 25th straight year! Yikes!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know. The devil we know just might be better than the devil we don’t know, like the guy who did the UCF game, making some of the most incredibly inconsistent calls I have seen, like calling a foul on Christyn when a screening UCF player stuck out her leg to trip her, after fouling out Liv on a questionable illegal screen call.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. The devil we know just might be better than the devil we don’t know, like the guy who did the UCF game, making some of the most incredibly inconsistent calls I have seen, like calling a foul on Christyn when a screwing UCF player stuck out her leg to trip her, after fouling out Liv on a questionable illegal screen call.
And then they foolishly sent him back to ref the NC State game.
The committee claims to be transparent & they insist that they evaluate the refs after every game. But many believe the assignments are pre- determined & poor performance is ignored.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There are some new & deserving refs in the group. LOL... and we won't see Benny Luna again!
But Melissa Barlow is one of the lowest rated refs in the Pac 12 and she is chosen for the 10th straight year. I don't believe they will assign her to a Stanford game since that is her conference. But I'm not sure how it works.
Dee Kantner is chosen for the 25th straight year! Yikes!!
I still say you have to bear in mind that PAC 12 refereeing is different than in the East (Benny does the PAC). Much more likely to let "scrums" go, tend to allow beatdowns in the paint, but touch fouls are a no-no. It is very noticeable, especially in person, and especially if you attended the number of non-PAC12 games we did for 17 years before moving west. Like anything else, if you see it every day you start to not notice it as much.

Barlow is just not good, as someone said, she calls the showy fouls. A reach in on Prince who had the Stanford player pinned by the Rutgers bench with less than a second remaining and Rutgers up by 1? Sure, it was a foul, although not always called regardless of when it happens, but if Prince had not reached in, in fact if she had magically transported herself 25 feet away, there was still nothing the Stanford player could have done. Except, as it turns out, hit 2 free throws to win the game with what I think ended up being .5 sec on the clock.

Reaction Score
I still say you have to bear in mind that PAC 12 refereeing is different than in the East (Benny does the PAC). Much more likely to let "scrums" go, tend to allow beatdowns in the paint, but touch fouls are a no-no. It is very noticeable, especially in person, and especially if you attended the number of non-PAC12 games we did for 17 years before moving west. Like anything else, if you see it every day you start to not notice it as much.

Barlow is just not good, as someone said, she calls the showy fouls. A reach in on Prince who had the Stanford player pinned by the Rutgers bench with less than a second remaining and Rutgers up by 1? Sure, it was a foul, although not always called regardless of when it happens, but if Prince had not reached in, in fact if she had magically transported herself 25 feet away, there was still nothing the Stanford player could have done. Except, as it turns out, hit 2 free throws to win the game with what I think ended up being .5 sec on the clock.
Good analysis! I'm I diehard UCONN fan transplanted to Scottsdale & I watch a lot of PAC 12 games. Barlow always seems to be embroiled in arguments with coaches. She has seniority, but as you stated, she has a habit of calling "invisible" fouls.

Reaction Score
Dang. Has much as folks complain about her, she must be doing something right to get the call to work a Final Four. Her official ratings must be spectacular.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom