Declined Penalties led to the missed FG | The Boneyard

Declined Penalties led to the missed FG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of factors go in to deciding whether to accept or decline penalties. I believe that sometimes putting your team in a pressure filled situation tests them ... but also gives them the confidence that the coaching staff trusts them to succeed. If done early and successful it can build momentum for the latter parts of the game. And obviously the UCONN coaching staff had a pretty good idea about the struggles of Nova's kicking game.

Although it doesn't show up in the box score ... declining the 2 penalties and forcing the sharp angle FG attempt proved to be the right decision.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah the guy in front of me thought i was nuts when they started to mark off the first one and it didn't look like they declined.

Blowing the snap didn't hurt on the actual attempt.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have to admit that I was worried that Nova was going to send their offense back out on the to go for it (and convert) after they declined. It was a gamble but one that absolutely paid off. A very good coaching moment for Diaco there.

Reaction Score
A lot of factors go in to deciding whether to accept or decline penalties. I believe that sometimes putting your team in a pressure filled situation tests them ... but also gives them the confidence that the coaching staff trusts them to succeed. If done early and successful it can build momentum for the latter parts of the game. And obviously the UCONN coaching staff had a pretty good idea about the struggles of Nova's kicking game.

Although it doesn't show up in the box score ... declining the 2 penalties and forcing the sharp angle FG attempt proved to be the right decision.
Quite clever and it paid off. Smart move in the end by Diaco and staff. I do have to say if anything, that is knowing your opponent. Someone did their homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom