Decision To Fire Bob Diaco, Staff Cost UConn More Than $5.3 Million (M. Anthony) | The Boneyard

Decision To Fire Bob Diaco, Staff Cost UConn More Than $5.3 Million (M. Anthony)

Reaction Score
Decision To Fire Bob Diaco, Staff Cost UConn More Than $5.3 Million

>>Diaco, UConn's coach for three seasons in 2014-16, walked away with $3,563,701, which includes a $3.4 million severance payment and a pro-rated retention bonus he was due of $163,701. The total cost to the university reached $4,329,987 when fringe costs (benefits, mostly) were factored in. Fringe costs totaled $766,196.

Additionally, 13 program assistants on staff under Diaco were paid a combined severance of $641,786. With fringe costs factored in, the cost of the 13 assistants reached $1,041,189.

Combined, the cost of firing Diaco and severing ties with his staff totaled $5,371,176.<<

Courant Comment Section should be gold!

Reaction Score
... and the possible higher costs to the University of Connecticut and Huskies' football and athletics of continued inaction ...

Reaction Score
Everything wrong with college coaching is summed up in Diaco. The guy fails miserably at one job and walks away with a big payday. Goes to another place and fails and walks away with second payday. He's a damn check collector.

Reaction Score
Any move made with Ollie has to be looked at the same way. If you think you can do better at half the price (not saying that is easy but a mid-major coach on the come up could work) you could soften the blow.

Reaction Score
The problem there was the extension.

UConn needs to get out of the expensive buyout business. We now have our second disastrous buyout nightmare on our hands and don't have the money to pull it off. We can pay top money but not should not tie a noose around our necks with buyouts. If a good coach wants to walk let him go. At the very least save those for guys who have proven themselves over time. That a 6-7, season brought upon that extension is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
Decision To Fire Bob Diaco, Staff Cost UConn More Than $5.3 Million

>>Diaco, UConn's coach for three seasons in 2014-16, walked away with $3,563,701, which includes a $3.4 million severance payment and a pro-rated retention bonus he was due of $163,701. The total cost to the university reached $4,329,987 when fringe costs (benefits, mostly) were factored in. Fringe costs totaled $766,196.

Additionally, 13 program assistants on staff under Diaco were paid a combined severance of $641,786. With fringe costs factored in, the cost of the 13 assistants reached $1,041,189.

Combined, the cost of firing Diaco and severing ties with his staff totaled $5,371,176.<<

Courant Comment Section should be gold!

The savings from what they would have paid Diaco compared to what they paid Edsall over two years pretty well offset that number. Any anyone who thinks Edsall would have taken the deal offered him if nothing was owed Diaco on the buyout is smoking something. Edsall was happy to come back and willing to play ball on salary given the circumstances. I credit Dave Benedict for coming up with a creative plan to bounce Diaco at a net affordable price.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

UConn needs to get out of the expensive buyout business. We now have our second disastrous buyout nightmare on our hands and don't have the money to pull it off. We can pay top money but not should not tie a noose around our necks with buyouts. If a good coach wants to walk let him go. At the very least save those for guys who have proven themselves over time. That a 6-7, season brought upon that extension is ludicrous.
And don't payoff the buyout lump sum, face value. Do it over time or at a discounted lump sum figure.

Reaction Score

Yup- I'd rather overpay on a performance incentive bonus than guarantee pay for mediocrity. You want to make 2 million bucks? Win some games...

Reaction Score
Yup- I'd rather overpay on a performance incentive bonus than guarantee pay for mediocrity. You want to make 2 million bucks? Win some games...

This x 1000. I want the coach that is focused on bonus incentives and negotiating for more money if he finishes in the Top 25, racks up postseason wins, etc. That’s a coach that is confident he can do the job.

If a coach instead says “Look, the contract amount seems fine, but let’s say, hypothetically, that I drive the program into the ground over the next two years - I need an assurance that I’ll still get paid even after you fire me,” that’s a coach I don’t want anything to do with. He’s basically telling you he isn’t sure he’s up to the job!

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
We had no choice in firing Diaco.

I really think if I had chosen to spend 30+ years in coaching (instead of 30+ years in insurance), I could have been better than a Diaco.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This just summarizes the problem the state of CT has - look at the fringe benefits costs - $400k on $641k of salary severance.

That is the interesting part. What are the components of that?

Reaction Score
Everything wrong with college coaching is summed up in Diaco. The guy fails miserably at one job and walks away with a big payday. Goes to another place and fails and walks away with second payday. He's a damn check collector.
Not any more.

Reaction Score
The cost Mike writes of only scratches the surface. What of the lack of recruiting which had already taken a step down under Paul. Not attacking Mike but ticket sales and all things football should be thrown in here also. This would make the loss much more than what it cost to buy out Bobbie Disaster & his staff.....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This x 1000. I want the coach that is focused on bonus incentives and negotiating for more money if he finishes in the Top 25, racks up postseason wins, etc. That’s a coach that is confident he can do the job.

If a coach instead says “Look, the contract amount seems fine, but let’s say, hypothetically, that I drive the program into the ground over the next two years - I need an assurance that I’ll still get paid even after you fire me,” that’s a coach I don’t want anything to do with. He’s basically telling you he isn’t sure he’s up to the job!

This x 1000.

Successful people don't worry about putting golden parachutes/hand shakes int to contracts because they know they will succeed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom