Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat? | The Boneyard

Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Pretty weak debate. I would have preferred hearing from some analysts who can talk about areas of the game UConn might struggle with and which potential opponents might be able to exploit those weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Voting is 67%-33% "No" at this point. (Don't know if the round numbers mean only 3 people have voted...?)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Pretty weak debate. I would have preferred hearing from some analysts who can talk about areas of the game UConn might struggle with and which potential opponents might be able to exploit those weaknesses.

I doubt that would make for a very long debate. I don't think ESPN's analysts would bet against UConn, but for the sake of the discussion someone had to take the other side.

Reaction Score

Why make things up? :)

Reaction Score
Michelle Smith, who took the "no 3-peat" side of this debate, has her own "A-Z" preview of the 2014-2015 season (see other thread), and her conclusion "is: "...Z: We predict UConn will lose Zero games this season. Again." Thus confirming what Sluconn said about the 3-peat debate: someone had to take the "no" side.

Reaction Score
I think the size of South Carolina could give UConn fits. South Carolina features 4 players 6'4 or taller and I think that Staley is going to try to go big against UConn and start Wilson, White, and Coates together. I think they are going to pound the ball inside against and try to dominate the boards. This is where UConn's lack of height kind of scares me. On defense I think that South Carolina is going to try to pack the paint and take away the inside. If they are successful in making UConn 1 dimensional by forcing them outside then UConn could be in trouble. However, if UConn is able to knock down some jump shots and hold its own rebounding, they can get their fast break working and run South Carolina out of the gym. I honestly think that South Carolina is the ONLY team in the country that can beat UConn and it should be fum to watch when they match-up at Gampel and maybe in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I think the size of South Carolina could give UConn fits. South Carolina features 4 players 6'4 or taller and I think that Staley is going to try to go big against UConn and start Wilson, White, and Coates together. I think they are going to pound the ball inside against and try to dominate the boards. This is where UConn's lack of height kind of scares me. On defense I think that South Carolina is going to try to pack the paint and take away the inside. If they are successful in making UConn 1 dimensional by forcing them outside then UConn could be in trouble. However, if UConn is able to knock down some jump shots and hold its own rebounding, they can get their fast break working and run South Carolina out of the gym. I honestly think that South Carolina is the ONLY team in the country that can beat UConn and it should be fum to watch when they match-up at Gampel and maybe in the NCAA tournament.

Stokes, Stewart and Tuck are more than a match for those 3 if UConn wants to go to a big lineup. If UConn goes with their normal lineup with KML, than someone from SC will have to chase her around the perimeter which would probably be something none of them have ever done before. As much talent as Wilson has, she's still a freshman and so is White. They'll pose more of a problem down the road.

Reaction Score
Playing UCONN in CT in front of a Soldout croud will be very difficult for USC in February 2015.............This is not a SEC road game............National TV and UCONN across the chest makes players do fun things...........I am looking forward to see this game live..........Where is the game being played.Gampel or the XL?

Reaction Score
If UCONN can avoid the injury bug, they will bring home No.10 and there isn't a thing any other team can do about it. Including SC and ND.

It would take a miserable UCONN performance, combined with an extraordinary effort from either of those teams to topple a UCONN squad at full strength. Although anything can happen, I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
Playing UCONN in CT in front of a Soldout croud will be very difficult for USC in February 2015...This is not a SEC road game..National TV and UCONN across the chest makes players do fun things......I am looking forward to see this game live.....Where is the game being played.Gampel or the XL?
Gampel

Reaction Score
"Notre Dame -- which engaged UConn in a battle of undefeated teams in last spring's title game -- has junior guard Jewell Loyd and a habit of exceeding expectations after graduating its top players."

Does that habit refer simply to returning to the Final Four last year after Skylar graduated...or are there at least two instances in this habitual pattern?

Reaction Score
I'm not saying they will, but I think SC and ND may have the best shots at it. Both have talent and depth, and although both players have great talent, both teams need big contributions from their star freshman. TN has talent on paper but it remains to be seen if they can put a complete game on both ends of the floor. I just think WCBB is not very deep this year with great teams.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I doubt Staley starts White and Coates over Welch and Ibiam. I don't expect White to get a lot of playing time in key games but Coates certainly will. South Carolina started a big front line in its exh game -- Welch, Ibiam and Wilson -- and it sounds like those will be the starters going forward.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Stokes, Stewart and Tuck are more than a match for those 3 if UConn wants to go to a big lineup. If UConn goes with their normal lineup with KML, than someone from SC will have to chase her around the perimeter which would probably be something none of them have ever done before. As much talent as Wilson has, she's still a freshman and so is White. They'll pose more of a problem down the road.
Totally agree. UCONN actually has more height as starters this year than last year. Stokes is much more athletic than Stef and therefor at 6'3", a "taller" defender than Stef at 6'5" (just my opinion on that). I do agree that bringing Tuck off the bench at a generous 6'2" is not the same as Stokes off the bench, but Nurse and Williams are both taller than Hartley and I think the whole size thing is nullified by UCONN's superior skill at almost every position.

How much of an impact did that 6'9" that played for MSU have? Or 6'9" Mulkey on the U-17 team? If all that mattered was having "taller" players, the biggest team would always win. aTm won the NC with 6'1" wing/forward Danielle Adams. I don't disagree that physically we don't have as much height (no 6'5" Dolson), but UCONN will again have 5 players on the court who can score in bunches and this time at least 3 off the bench who are capable as well...

Reaction Score
Playing UCONN in CT in front of a Soldout croud will be very difficult for USC in February 2015...This is not a SEC road game..National TV and UCONN across the chest makes players do fun things......I am looking forward to see this game live.....Where is the game being played.Gampel or the XL?

Game is at Gampel

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If UCONN can avoid the injury bug, they will bring home No.10 and there isn't a thing any other team can do about it. Including SC and ND.

It would take a miserable UCONN performance, combined with an extraordinary effort from either of those teams to topple a UCONN squad at full strength. Although anything can happen, I just don't see it.

Me thinks your confidence level is too high.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
SoCar has no experience in big games. They have yet to have "big" win. They will be good but as of today they are not a threat. In contrast UCONN has numerous players holding two NC rings. They are "BIG" game tested and "Certified."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger