Death by AAC | The Boneyard

Death by AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In year two of the AAC, we have seen exactly how the tournament committee values the league - on par with the Missouri Valley, Mountain West and Atlantic 10. With half of our league averaging RPI's in the 200's, the longer we are here, the more damage the UConn brand will sustain. As we saw with Louisville last year, even if we went 29-6, the ceiling for an AAC team will be a four seed in the tournament. Zero respect, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Although staying in the AAC seems detrimental to our long term health, it doesn't look like any of the Power Five conferences are expanding in the near future. We won a national title last year, and it seems like none of the Power Five took any sort of notice. If we can't even improve our "resume" for the P5 by winning a national title, what else can we do?

Rejoining the Big East in all sports except for football? Going independent is economically unfeasible and it seems like no FBS conference would take our football program without the rest of the UConn athletic programs. The AAC wouldn't even take us as a football independent.

So what do we do? Seems like we are screwed either way, and that is a terrible feeling.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
All athletic programs not in the P5 will be completely nuked once the split is official and the P5 starts really ramping up the benefits. Caput. AAC, Big East, A10, doesn't matter...we're screwed if we can't make it out.

The ACC gets a lot of here, and most of it is deserved. But it is the best football league this side of the Mississippi (I would guess that the MWC is probably a bit better), and football is what drives the CR bus. The only shot we have at making it out alive is showing that our football program can be competitive and sustainable. Therefore, this is why we are here.

Reaction Score
Conversely, what if our football program doesn't improve over the next couple of years, and the Big East decides that they wouldn't even take us.

If our fate is squarely based on the successes or failures of our football program, I may just quit college sports.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Conversely, what if our football program doesn't improve over the next couple of years, and the Big East decides that they wouldn't even take us.

If our fate is squarely based on the successes or failures of our football program, I may just quit college sports.

Not to sound harsh, but you may be best served quitting then. Football is the only shot. If it fails, then at least we tried. Many, many fans (myself included) would feel slighted if the AD threw in the towel without seeing football through.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
^^^^Sad But True^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads