Dear UConn: Stop Neglecting Humanities In Favor Of STEM | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dear UConn: Stop Neglecting Humanities In Favor Of STEM

Reaction Score
After researching I guess you are right. "Agriculture and Natural Resources" is STEM but "Resource Economics" is not.

STEM at UConn

Yeah it's pretty absurd too considering 90% of the classes overlap

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Didn't want to make its own thread for but great opportunity for students:

NSF Awards $3.5M to Support Diversity in STEM - UConn Today

Under the leadership of the University of Connecticut, a higher education alliance dedicated to expanding diversity in the STEM fields recently received an infusion of $3.5 million to increase its efforts.

The five-year National Science Foundation (NSF) grant marks a significant commitment to the regional initiative with a national profile.

Founded in 2001, the Northeast Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (NELSAMP) is made up of a half-dozen New England schools working to increase the number of historically underrepresented students in STEM. This fall, UConn assumed the lead role for the alliance, which includes Northeastern University; Tufts University; University of Massachusetts, Amherst; University of Rhode Island; and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Drew

Reaction Score
Not just Herbst pushing this either:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The STEM stuff is better because it's newer. My school had shiny new computer science labs to spark the tech era. The physics and chemistry labs looked like the were used by Pasteur and Curie. Faculty and staff are always hit or miss.

My guess is you would have been happier in an Operational Engineering program. I'm not familiar with ER&PP. It sounds like a cubicle career path with a government agency, but if you can handle money and regulatory compliance, you should do well enough in whatever industry you end up in.

Reaction Score
Again, someone else completely misses the point. It's not just about money. It's about how students are treated while attending.

I think you are missing the point by reading your comments. STEM brings in $. Humanities while still important, can be found at numerous schools even with the state of Connecticut. With the economic climate of the state, why wouldn't they go all in on STEM compared to other disciplines?

Reaction Score
If you look at student enrollment trends, UConn students are fleeing most traditional liberal arts majors and flocking to STEM majors. With the high cost of college and the difficulty finding jobs for many traditional liberal arts majors, it is a rational decision by students.

If you look at enrollment trends in the School of Liberal Arts over the past 10 years, traditional LA majors like Sociology, Political Science, History, and English have suffered enrollment declines of 30% to 50%. In contract, LA majors like Biological Sciences, Mathematics/Actuarial Sciences, Molecular and Cell Biology, and Physiology and Neurobiology have seen enrollment increases of 38% to 300%. The enrollment in the School of Engineering is up 87% in the past 10 years.

In 2005, there were 5x as many Political Science majors than Physiology and Neurobiology at UConn. In 2015, there were more students studying Physiology and Neurobiology than Political Science. In 2005, there were almost 2x as many Sociology majors than Actuarial Sciences majors. In 2015, there are almost 3x as many Actuarial Science Majors as Sociology majors.

I support liberal arts education, but when you look at the stats, it makes sense for UConn to be increasing investments in majors that are growing and reducing investments for majors that are declining.

Drew

Reaction Score
Editorial: UConn’s other fields deserve the same attention as STEM

It is no secret that UConn is the kind of school to go to if you want a quality education in a quantitative field. As one of the top-rated public research universities in the country, it should come as no surprise that year after year, we churn out accomplished STEM students into the workplace where they are often extremely successful. A recent article in the UConn Today newsletter entitled “UConn’s STEM Pipeline” highlights the impressive achievements of the science and technology-based offices and boasts statistics of their growth over the past years. However, in this article, and in most of the virtual newsletter, there is a severe lack of talk about the university’s other academic departments, only serving to somewhat alienate the students and faculty involved with departments other than STEM.

STEM fields are undoubtedly important both in and out of the sphere of UConn, and this article does well to describe this importance. It also speaks to the history of STEM and the growth of the field over our country’s lifetime. Most importantly, the article encourages STEM students, not just by sharing their impressive job statistics (with greater than 90 percent of STEM majors finding jobs within the state after graduation), but by telling personal success stories of students past and present that have gone through UConn’s “STEM pipeline”.

It is unfair for one group of students to seem underappreciated or underrepresented in the school’s media as has happened in the past. We are a university with an extremely diverse population, and as such, we need to have readily available news that represents the diverse fields, majors, and interests that this school represents.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm as big of a supporter of STEM as anyone and I'm all for colleges produce data on what salaries are for their grads as one of the pieces for families to see as they examine universities.

And I still believe all Bachelor degrees should come with a minimum of 4 humanities classes. I really believe 8, one per semester to balance the technical with the humanity, but I could be talked down off that number.

Regardless, almost every successful leader will tell you the liberal arts portion of their education and growth as an adult is as much part of their success as their career field classes.

Reaction Score
Funny that the first interviewee is a Speech-Language Hearing Sciences major (as was I from '10-'12). I never felt anywhere close to undervalued or neglected. A lot of these majors in CLAS don't take anywhere close to a full 4 years. That major in particular essentially doesn't start until your junior year with 3000 level classes. I also thought it was rich coming from her about the job market; audiology and speech-language pathology are rated as top 10 career fields very frequently between need, stress, work, pay, and reward. And it's the program's responsibility to prepare its students for the next step in their specific academic/professional tracks ("how to present their knowledge and skills acquired in their college careers"? WTF?) not the university's.

The only non-stem undergrad research concerns I can see would be in Psych because of the very real requirements there to advance to grad school/PhD programs. In other behavioral science fields like mine, you have all of grad school to do research; and many fields such as mine require those advanced degrees anyway.

And I have no problem with them building a new dorm and mini-campus more focused on STEM. We want to draw not only student talent, but faculty talent as well. We want to have the best facilities for research. Railing against this sounds like basketball people railing against UConn taking football seriously. We did that far too late and look where we are now. We don't want that to happen on the grander scale of the university. This is a response to the market, and it's not a universities problem. The developed world as a whole is shifting in ways that require more and more STEM workers.

Then the rest of the article is just whining.

Not shocked such a short-sighted article and quotes were written by and came from undergrads.

Reaction Score
... I have no problem with them building a new dorm and mini-campus more focused on STEM. We want to draw not only student talent, but faculty talent as well. We want to have the best facilities for research. Railing against this sounds like basketball people railing against UConn taking football seriously. We did that far too late and look where we are now. We don't want that to happen on the grander scale of the university. This is a response to the market, and it's not a universities problem. The developed world as a whole is shifting in ways that require more and more STEM workers.

Then the rest of the article is just whining. Not shocked such a short-sighted article and quotes were written by and came from undergrads.
Among some displeased non-STEM students and young alumni, it would be interesting to learn what % of the vocal Boneyarders and other whiners failed to achieve required GPAs to gain acceptance in departments they initially targeted. For example, blew it in low-level math, bio, chem, stats, econ, and general qualifying courses and ended up unable to pursue currently highly desirable pre-med, biotech, ChemE, ME, CS, etc. degrees. Consequently, they graduated with sometimes less marketable Communications, PoliSci, Econ, HDFR, Ag, Psych, or other degrees. 80%? 50%?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Recently visited a univ bookstore and noticed in the textbook section that there were ~6 physics texts, but ~60 social science texts. Strange as graduation data indicated that social science jobs are few, and very low pay. The demand seems to be predicated upon ill defined pipe-dreams.

Reaction Score
Among some displeased non-STEM students and young alumni, it would be interesting to learn what % of the vocal Boneyarders and other whiners failed to achieve required GPAs to gain acceptance in departments they initially targeted. For example, blew it in low-level math, bio, chem, stats, econ, and general qualifying courses and ended up unable to pursue currently highly desirable pre-med, biotech, ChemE, ME, CS, etc. degrees. Consequently, they graduated with sometimes less marketable Communications, PoliSci, Econ, HDFR, Ag, Psych, or other degrees. 80%? 50%?

Interesting. start a poll. Wonder how many actually considered STEM as a start.

Reaction Score
I can only speak for myself being accepted straight in to the School of Engineering

Not that anyone had to declare a major going in to UConn. You could get admitted to any (or no) major, follow along with whatever course work you want, and enter the program as you felt ready and were accepted after demonstrating aptitude for the curriculum. UConn as a whole felt to be a highly accommodating place to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Recently visited a univ bookstore and noticed in the textbook section that there were ~6 physics texts, but ~60 social science texts. Strange as graduation data indicated that social science jobs are few, and very low pay. The demand seems to be predicated upon ill defined pipe-dreams.

But it's all a matter of perspective. Only 27% of graduates have a career related to their major. Frankly, the idea that social science majors are few and very low pay is just a matter of perspective. If you want to pigeonhole majors into specific careers then yeah, you're going to find data that supports that. But the reality is that humanities majors actually close the pay gap over time. And that is because

"humanities majors are open to pursuing a variety of jobs in a lifetime — like management or other high-paying positions. For example, one million people with humanities degrees work in management, and some 600,000 work in business and financial operations. A quarter of the legal profession is made up of humanities majors."
So...humanities majors are useless, eh?

Reaction Score
I can only speak for myself being accepted straight in to the School of Engineering

Not that anyone had to declare a major going in to UConn. You could get admitted to any (or no) major, follow along with whatever course work you want, and enter the program as you felt ready and were accepted after demonstrating aptitude for the curriculum. UConn as a whole felt to be a highly accommodating place to me.
We share similar memories from our times at UConn, but I had the impression things changed for some UConn departments/schools. Sometime in the last decade or so, haven't some departments begun to require GPAs over n.n to be admitted in to upper level majors? Perhaps a very recent grad can clarify or correct my potentially incorrect impression.

Reaction Score
We share similar memories from our times at UConn, but I had the impression things changed for some UConn departments/schools. Sometime in the last decade or so, haven't some departments begun to require GPAs over n.n to be admitted in to upper level majors? Perhaps a very recent grad can clarify or correct my potentially incorrect impression.
It would have to be literally a decade because I enrolled fall 08 and I had like a 3.6 DGAF GPA coming out of high school

Unless you’re talking about GPA once you’re at UConn to get in to a certain program, about which I know nothing. But again, if you do well enough and demonstrate aptitiude for the material, that shouldn’t be an issue

Reaction Score
Why One University Wants to Drop Its English, Philosophy, and History Majors

I think this article portends the future for most American education and universities, and I don't disagree with that direction. The vast majority of colleges should be gearing its graduates to make a living, and emphasizing STEM at UConn is in that vein. The remaining few very best US schools will do what they have always done, educate our very best minds to carry forth the teaching of the social sciences and fine arts as academicians and intellectuals.

Luckily I graduated in 1969. Back then I could major in Political Science (because I enjoyed that topic), work for 25 years as a VP in insurance company finance and strategic planning, and retire at 50. My very favorite single course was Art History, and my life would have been much poorer without it.

What I am trying to say is that the higher education paradigm (and god how I hate that word) has turned upside down and we are struggling with the consequences.

Reaction Score
Why One University Wants to Drop Its English, Philosophy, and History Majors

I think this article portends the future for most American education and universities, and I don't disagree with that direction. The vast majority of colleges should be gearing its graduates to make a living, and emphasizing STEM at UConn is in that vein. The remaining few very best US schools will do what they have always done, educate our very best minds to carry forth the teaching of the social sciences and fine arts as academicians and intellectuals.

Luckily I graduated in 1969. Back then I could major in Political Science (because I enjoyed that topic), work for 25 years as a VP in insurance company finance and strategic planning, and retire at 50. My very favorite single course was Art History, and my life would have been much poorer without it.

What I am trying to say is that the higher education paradigm (and god how I hate that word) has turned upside down and we are struggling with the consequences.

There's a huge difference between UW-Stevens Point and UConn. UW-Stevens Point, as described by one of my Wisconsin friends, is one step away from a technical community college. Its existence is primarily to educate a workforce. UConn is a research and liberal arts institution. Who knows, UW-Stevens Point may still be able to keep these programs if Governor Walker didn't obliterate the university system's budget too.

Again, I demonstrated in my post above that humanities majors actually do pretty well for themselves. And even more so to the point, STEM degrees are not necessarily a guarantee for a job. This NYT article does a good job in showing how our emphasis on STEM has actually created some glut in certain areas of STEM.

With our economy moving to a "knowledge" economy, any education should focus on building up soft skills in addition to technical knowledge. The humanities do an exceptional job in those soft skills - and to a point where humanities majors have been sought out to help tech companies relate better to their customer base.

We do ourselves no favors in arguing for one area of study over the other when the arguments are built on false pretenses and lies. I'm all in favor of expanding STEM education, but I don't think it should come at the expense of humanities majors. Especially at an institution like UConn, which is primarily a liberal arts school, the focus should be on the holistic education with occasional career tracks (e.g. nursing, pharmacy, etc.). I wish UW-Stevens Point wasn't slashing their programs but for that particular institution, it's not as crazy as a proposition because its mission is far different than that of Wisconsin's flagship at Madison.

But also, I don't think this is really an argument that's going to stand the test of time. In 15 years, microcredentials are going to replace the major as the main way to attend higher ed for career-track certifications. The major will still exist, but again, in this more holistic view of education.

Reaction Score
Unless you’re talking about GPA once you’re at UConn to get in to a certain program, about which I know nothing.
Yes, UConn GPA in first year or 2 over n.n to be admitted in some departments or majors. Or, people with higher GPAs are reasonably viewed as more deserving and sub-n.n's shift to some less desirable or potentially marketable major.

Any current students or recent alumni know if the above is an accurate understanding ..., or way off the mark? Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
There's a huge difference between UW-Stevens Point and UConn. UW-Stevens Point, as described by one of my Wisconsin friends, is one step away from a technical community college. Its existence is primarily to educate a workforce.
Even as a big believer in the need for far more technical community colleges in the US, your Dairy State friends' portrayal of UW-Stevens Point sounds correct based on experience with a few other non-Madison UW campuses. Important purpose, but not even on par with Southern, Western, Eastern or Central let alone anything remotely close to UConn and Madison.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn GPA in first year or 2 over n.n to be admitted in some departments or majors. Or, people with higher GPAs are reasonably viewed as more deserving and sub-n.n's shift to some less desirable or potentially marketable major.

Any current students or recent alumni know if the above is an accurate understanding ..., or way off the mark? Thanks in advance.

In my day, you had to apply to the School of Business for example. It started Junior year. I made the cut grade wise, but had to defer a semester because scheduling was such a mess that I was forced to miss a pre-requisite course.

Anybody complaining about how things are now needs a time machine. Advisors? I don't even think we had advisors back in the mid 80's. Modern stuff? The dorms were painted cinder blocks and cheap furniture. The classrooms were simply classrooms, same as in high school.

As for STEM, that should be the future. The role of the modern university has changed. I'm not saying we don't need Liberal Arts, people need a basic grounding in those subjects. But they shouldn't be the priority at this point. I would prioritize financial aid towards people who are STEM or business focused. The worst aspect of liberal arts is all the pointless fields of study. History, English, anthropology nobody complains about those. It's "_______ studies" (fill in with the word of your choice). That stuff is nonsense, and I hope those departments go the way of the dodo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom