Deandre Daniels- NBL Player of the Week | The Boneyard

Deandre Daniels- NBL Player of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last night I was wondering how Deandre has been doing, so I went to the Perth Wildcats website and this news was on the homepage. He was named NBL player of the week after scoring 22 pts and grabbing 8 boards in the last game......including 3-4 from long range. Anyone know a team who could use that kind of outside shooting?

Looks like Deandre is starting to settle in to his new team. Still think he should've stayed this year (and man could we use his shooting), but its nice to see he's playing well.

Link: http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/sqhg6rw3xye8117yhbkjcvkdn

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Wishing all the best to DeAndre in his career. But its pretty clear at this point he probably didn't make the right decision. Would have been beneficial for both him and the university if he had stayed.

Reaction Score
He's leaving opened up the position for Facey, who has been remarkable. Not producing at DD's level yet but with confidence he will make the most of it. Not sure Facey would have progressed so fast with DD staying.

Of course him staying would have made us much more powerful and prepared DD better for the NBA, yet I like what I'm seeing in Facey as a sophomore.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Wishing all the best to DeAndre in his career. But its pretty clear at this point he probably didn't make the right decision. Would have been beneficial for both him and the university if he had stayed.
Best for the university but not for him. His draft status wasn't going to raise above his performance in the NCAAs. He had the visibility of the National Championship and he played well.

If you believe that to be true, then the best thing for Deandre was to get his first contract clock running. Your years of eligibility and performance at the NBA level are a finite thing, by starting that first contract sooner he'll have more leverage to negotiate for his second contract assuming he continues to develop into a viable player. He'll likely play more games against equal level competition this year. (edit: and be paid for it)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DD is spending a year abroad making more annually than 95% of the people in the US. In all probability he will be in the NBA next year a much more matured adult ,ready to handle the long grind.
For him I'm not sure it was a bad choice.
For us not so much. We could certainly use another shooter.

pj

Reaction Score
DD did the right thing. Happy for him. Earning money, developing his game in a different style, running his NBA clock, getting ready to play in the NBA, seeing a scenic part of the world. UConn is fine, it was Kentan Facey's time to play. We shouldn't aim to be Kentucky, rather we should aim to be a place that develops young players into highly successful people, and wins a few championships along the way. We did that with Deandre and it's time to do that with Kentan.

Reaction Score
DD is spending a year abroad making more annually than 95% of the people in the US. In all probability he will be in the NBA next year a much more matured adult ,ready to handle the long grind.
For him I'm not sure it was a bad choice.
For us not so much. We could certainly use another shooter.
Max he is making is $200k AUS, which is about $165k US.

Good money? Yes. But lets not forget he has a very short career span compared to the rest of us.

Making 165k a year for 10 years if he cannot crack the NBA and retiring without a degree does not put him in an amazing place financially.

I am not knocking Deandre's decision, it was his decision and whatever he chose is fine with me, but it is a big risk if you cannot get an NBA deal or a at least a big Euro contract.

Reaction Score

Really, for him? How do you know that? How much money is he making this year? where would a 23 year old get drafted next year?

Reaction Score
Really, for him? How do you know that? How much money is he making this year? where would a 23 year old get drafted next year?

How many years did KEA play in the NBA? Seems like he's doing alright. Would DD get drafted any higher next year. My personal guess is no.

Reaction Score
Making 165k a year for 10 years if he cannot crack the NBA and retiring without a degree does not put him in an amazing place financially

Uh, if that's not doing well financially, not many of us can hope to do well.

Reaction Score
Uh, if that's not doing well financially, not many of us can hope to do well.
You missed the point.

After 10 years that earning potentially is gone. And no college degree to fall back on.

Can you work for 10 years and make 165k and retire at 33? No, not even close.

Also, everyone knows how much 23 years spend money.

So people acting like hes rich and set financially for life are wrong.

Reaction Score
Max he is making is $200k AUS, which is about $165k US.

Good money? Yes. But lets not forget he has a very short career span compared to the rest of us.

Making 165k a year for 10 years if he cannot crack the NBA and retiring without a degree does not put him in an amazing place financially.

I am not knocking Deandre's decision, it was his decision and whatever he chose is fine with me, but it is a big risk if you cannot get an NBA deal or a at least a big Euro contract.

Please remember he can go finish his degree in the summers after he hopefully makes it to the NBA...

The people on this board seem to think that if a guy who goes pro isn't starting and playing 30 minutes a game, he made the wrong decision... These days making it in the NBA seems to be more about how hard you work in your first few years to get your game and body up to the pro level, and less about your potential coming in. Most players don't play well their first few years in the league, so anyone drawing conclusions about his choice to leave already... you might end up being right but you wont have any clue for a couple of years

Reaction Score
He's making about 4 times as much as me, and he doesn't have to stop working at 33. And he's not that far from finishing his degree. AND he doesn't have student loans. Oh woe is him!

Reaction Score
Please remember he can go finish his degree in the summers after he hopefully makes it to the NBA...

The people on this board seem to think that if a guy who goes pro isn't starting and playing 30 minutes a game, he made the wrong decision... These days making it in the NBA seems to be more about how hard you work in your first few years to get your game and body up to the pro level, and less about your potential coming in. Most players don't play well their first few years in the league, so anyone drawing conclusions about his choice to leave already... you might end up being right but you wont have any clue for a couple of years
Agreed he can make the NBA, I was just saying if he does not. No guarantee he does, and of course he can go back and get his degree.

I never said the decision was wrong, I do not think it was, I am just saying, he made a big risk financially if he was not guaranteed first round pick. But that is obvious

Reaction Score
He's making about 4 times as much as me, and he doesn't have to stop working at 33. And he's not that far from finishing his degree. AND he doesn't have student loans. Oh woe is him!
Ah I got it, you just one of those guys. Got it. No point in trying to explain anything to you

Reaction Score
Ah I got it, you just one of those guys. Got it. No point in trying to explain anything to you

You haven't explained why his situation would be dramatically different if he stayed one more year. Yeah, he'd have a degree... a degree that wouldn't get him any kind of particularly amazing job in and of itself. And he's close to finishing it anyway.

The benefit is obvious for UConn's basketball team, but it's minimal for DeAndre himself.

Reaction Score
I NEVER NEVER not EVER say this but i think he should of stayed.

Reaction Score
I NEVER NEVER not EVER say this but i think he should of stayed.

Did you say this at the time coming off the national championship considering the first round projection of all the mocks?

Reaction Score
Did you say this at the time coming off the national championship considering the first round projection of all the mocks?

Did not and i feel gross saying it now. The only thing more disgusting than my post is this teams play this year.

Reaction Score
You haven't explained why his situation would be dramatically different if he stayed one more year. Yeah, he'd have a degree... a degree that wouldn't get him any kind of particularly amazing job in and of itself. And he's close to finishing it anyway.

The benefit is obvious for UConn's basketball team, but it's minimal for DeAndre himself.
First off, the difference in ones earning capacity if they simply have a college degree or not is huge. As a starting salary its the difference of 18k for individuals of Deandre's age. So to say a UConn BA Degree does not make a difference between a high school diploma is one wrong, and two just plain stupid.

And do you not understand the argument people are making that if he came back he could have improved his draft position by the 7 spots needed to be a first round pick?

Kyle Anderson the 30th pick received $2,236,560 in guaranteed money over 2 years. That is 13.5 years of salary playing in Australia. If the Spurs keep him for a 3rd year he gets another $1,192,080 guaranteed.

Hence the argument it was a huge financial risk to leave with not being a guaranteed 1st rounder.

Reaction Score
How would his stock not have risen? he woulda been a monster this year for us.

Reaction Score
Bryan Lord said:
How would his stock not have risen? he woulda been a monster this year for us.

EVERYONE SAID THAT LAST YEAR! How many times does that need to be said?!

Reaction Score
Earnings differentials for college graduates go out the window when you're talking about professional athletes.

And I just have to laugh at the idea he would have had a higher draft stock this year. He peaked. He would have been just another year older, and unless he put up some kind of Durant season, it would have been roughly the same in the best case scenario.

People seem to be forgetting that he was already "old" by NBA standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom