DD's is now just D

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
There's no such thing as a standard cup of coffee at Starbucks and their house blend is awful.

I was on a work assignment in Portland Oregon in '04 and asked for a medium black. It was a Saturday morning before work and my colleague and I had a really good dinner the night before. So I was in no mood to deal with it. The clerk actually looked at me like I was speaking Greek. She literally snickered and told me she never heard someone order like that, as if the rest of the World also serves only in tall, grande and venti sizes. I was tempted, but didn't, short pay and make them take the difference out of the tip cup.

In an example of art imitating life, I related wholeheartedly to the scene in Maron where Marc orders a triple iced espresso and was refused because the guy behind the counter says the melting ice ruins the integrity of the bean. Maron lays into him that he's a glorified drug dealer and all anyone is looking for is the most efficient way to get a buzz allowing them to get through the next three hours of their life.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
I've called it "Dunks" forever, but I've taken to brewing my own coffee. Plus, there are places that serve coffee for a better value.

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
There's no such thing as a standard cup of coffee at Starbucks and their house blend is awful.

I was on a work assignment in Portland Oregon in '04 and asked for a medium black. It was a Saturday morning before work and my colleague and I had a really good dinner the night before. So I was in no mood to deal with it. The clerk actually looked at me like I was speaking Greek. She literally snickered and told me she never heard someone order like that, as if the rest of the World also serves only in tall, grande and venti sizes. I was tempted, but didn't, short pay and make them take the difference out of the tip cup.

In an example of art imitating life, I related wholeheartedly to the scene in Maron where Marc orders a triple iced espresso and was refused because the guy behind the counter says the melting ice ruins the integrity of the bean. Maron lays into him that he's a glorified drug dealer and all anyone is looking for is the most efficient way to get a buzz allowing them to get through the next three hours of their life.
I went there last Sunday, which reminded me why I hate the place. Just ordered their new nitro cold brew to try it. "Grande" size, whatever that is. Of course there were no sizes or prices listed on the board. It was noisy as hell and the clerk kept asking me something I didn't understand. He wanted my name, which he misheard and which showed on the cup as just "D" instead of "Steve". Whatever. Service was mind bogglingly slow. The Nitro Cold brew was meh. A bit too bitter and lacking taste. I am sure the regulars are used to their dumb way of doing things so it probably doesn't bother them. Many people ordered via the app, which seems the right way to go.

Dunks is a model of efficiency by comparison. And the coffee isn't any worse. The sandwiches are decent, depending on the store and who made it. Honey Dew is better at both the coffee and the sandwiches, and probably the donuts. Plus they have jaelpeno cheddar bagels, which are great. I've found the 7-Eleven coffee is pretty decent, and the cold brew is quite good and cheap as hell for something expensive to make.
My local Cumberland farms has so-so coffee, but very good breakfast sandwiches made right behind the counter and not microwaved.