DD's courtside impressions of the game | The Boneyard

DD's courtside impressions of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Thanks so much, Doggy. How many people were there would you say?

Reaction Score
"Every superlative can be amended with "yes, but they played a terrible team". So feel free to do that."

Lost me at this statement. Thought BYs were above this sort of thing.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
"Every superlative can be amended with "yes, but they played a terrible team". So feel free to do that."

If I were to interpret his meaning (egads), I would say that this needed to be said to put some perspective on the performance and score and subsequent superlatives. Had they played their first game against a ranked division 1 team, things may have looked a little different. I don't believe there was any intent to speak less of the opposing team.

That's what I would think anyway....

Reaction Score
At first I thought people were talking Diamond DeSheilds... and I was wondering why..... lol

Reaction Score
Very informative. All I could watch was Gametracker. Can't wait till I can see the games on SNY.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Sounds like tings are rounding into shape quite nicely so far.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Interesting and thorough. Thanks, DD.

Reaction Score
I don't recall anyone on this Blog ever suggesting that Gabbie Williams could play the post, yet her apparent ability to do that makes this team infinitely better balanced and even more dangerous. It also enables Geno to limit the minutes of both Tuck and Williams this season, to guard against further injury. I guess that is just one more reason why he is such a great coach. I really hope one of the Beat writers pursues this with him; it would be fascinating to hear about some of the decision-making process. Which coach first saw the possibility? Was it a light that suddenly turned on or an idea with a more casual germination? etc., etc.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It also enables Geno to limit the minutes of both Tuck and Williams this season, to guard against further injury.

I don't expect this to happen. Geno's approach seems to be that once Rosemary and the medical staff clear a player to play, she plays.

Playing time is limited only by lapses in practice or shortage of stamina, not as a precaution against further injury.

Let's see how this plays out.

Reaction Score
I don't recall anyone on this Blog ever suggesting that Gabbie Williams could play the post, yet her apparent ability to do that makes this team infinitely better balanced and even more dangerous. It also enables Geno to limit the minutes of both Tuck and Williams this season, to guard against further injury. I guess that is just one more reason why he is such a great coach. I really hope one of the Beat writers pursues this with him; it would be fascinating to hear about some of the decision-making process. Which coach first saw the possibility? Was it a light that suddenly turned on or an idea with a more casual germination? etc., etc.

I don't think Gabby playing the post is anything new. She's not going to be defending centers, but she can certainly with her athleticism play the same position that Maya played through most of her time at UConn and so many other players. That's certainly a position I expected her to play all along and even more or so about a year ago when people were really worried about UConn's future size and front court depth before next year's recruiting class took shape and before Butler's transfer.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Great observation on Chong! Have to take into account,it is her first actual game that she is shooting against real competition,not just practice players.Shooting almost always improves with confidence,and I have little doubt,that,as she feels more confident each game,her outside shooting will get better and better.
We only see the game result.not the hard work and potential coach sees.I still think she will surprise many before the year is up.
No matter how healthy Tuck and Williams look,they will be rusty for a few more weeks,but,once they mentally realize that everything is good,physically,they should start to excel.

It's not who they play,it's how they play,and it will be exciting to see this team and how quickly they reach mid-season form. It will,also,be fun to watch the combinations that coach uses on a consistent basis.

Sorry all you opponents,but,here comes the train,and you can't get off the tracks!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Said UConn coach Geno Auriemma: “She’s actually been even better in practice than she was (Sunday). Practice transfers over to games, but not completely. And I thought she was really good today, but she’s been even better than that in practice. And little by little … That’s all we keep talking about is little by little. It’s going to be way, way different than what we’re used to for us as a coaching staff. Everything that we’re used to seeing happen the last two years it just isn’t there, and we’re constantly looking to find other ways. And Saniya’s one of those ways. We didn’t have her last year for all intents and purposes. So we have to figure out a way to use her.’’

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2014/11/03/chong-produces-in-starting-role/

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nice write up doggy. I can't comment much because I did not see the game. But it looks like every one got a decent run out. I'm looking forward to seeing them myself next weekend.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Super read!

2 cents: in part due to need and in part due to skill set I think Gabby will be more a three than a guard...this year.
Courtney took 7 shots...all treys...made 2. Not a good percentage but she looks good taking them...great fundamentals.
She looks like a taller/less physical Mel Thomas. Put her on one side...KML on the other....double trouble for opponents.
Next year...her on one side...Katie Lou on the other....more double trouble.

My guess: Geno wants her taking those shots....miss or make. Not taking them would irk him to a faretheewell.
Most effective player on the court: MoJett.
Kiah: first round WNBA draft pick come April 2015.
Kiah Nurse: decent comparison in the morning paper...Kara Lawson. As long as Saniya holds her off, she will be first guard off the bench and
wind up playing starter minutes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kiah Nurse: decent comparison in the morning paper...Kara Lawson. As long as Saniya holds her off, she will be first guard off the bench and
wind up playing starter minutes.
Yea, I saw that and thought, hmmm maybe. If she ends up that good, :D.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game either…too far away
But it sure sounds promising.
How could it not have been?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

If you go back and READ this in context, DD was NOT saying that - he was saying if someone else felt that way, well, feel free. A little jumping too fast there, perhaps.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom