Day after positives | The Boneyard

Day after positives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They out rebounded a big Texas team that was averaging a +12 on the boards - the fight for every rebound was impressive.

They made Myles Turner work real hard for every shot and he rarely, if at all, was able to square himself to shoot the ball. Ridley too. For a bunch of undersized physically guys, they worked their tails off on every pass and every shot.

It is amazing Phil Nolan didn't get a shot, but he defended like crazy and he needs to get credit for that. Besides Facey,, who's been a tremendous presence on the boards, the bigs need to figure out how to defend then get rebounds though. Nonetheless great effort and not Phil's fault we couldn't shoot the ball.

FT's - 17-21 and 81% is UConn-Like and back on par. If they can't shoot it from deep they will need to get to the line and this is a good sign they can make them. The one miss by Boat - ouch - it tried to stay in too!

Played with the #7 team despite shooting 30% and 19% from 3. Wasn't sold on our half court defense but it is nice to see they can mix it up. Actually would like to see a little more zone with this team (thought they might come out from the last TO in one to stay away from the picks) they look long in a zone.

We can point to Sam JR missing 9 shots or no one making a shot down the stretch but bottom line was our transition defense. It was putrid, never got better and people didn't get back ready to play D fast enough. Not saying they weren't playing hard or hustling but that one time you lay off the pedal your guy burns you or someone else, creating a break. They did that often and that will kill them against Duke if there is not improvement.

Yale will pose problems if we aren't healthy, maybe even if we are. It's now a fight to get enough wins to get back to defend, had one in their hands and it's hard to make up for that. I know it's early but it's go time from here on out.

Reaction Score
I feel like overall we are basically were we thought we would be at this point in the season. The main difference is that we haven't had 2 of our main guards, offensive options available for much of the season(Omar + Rodney)

Boatright has been 10% than I had hoped.
Amida 30% worse
Facey 30 % better
Hamilton 10% better
T Sam 20% worse

And the rest of the guys I had no particular expectations for. Going forward I'm looking for our two other guards to come back and looking for us to get out on the break. Rodney and Boat need to fly and our bigs esp Facey need to practice that outlet.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Facey could use some touches down low. This team reminds me a whole lot of the 2012-2013 squad, where the perimeter players don't really trust post players with the ball. There is very little activity in a half-court set, and when there is some, it is usually between guards swinging the ball around the arc. Lots of unnecessary dribbling too.

We need to find someone, maybe Facey, that will step in the middle of the zone and knock down the 10-15 footer. Need to take pressure off Boat, DHam, and Purvis. Never feeding the ball down low clogs things up around the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Facey could use some touches down low. This team reminds me a whole lot of the 2012-2013 squad, where the perimeter players don't really trust post players with the ball. There is very little activity in a half-court set, and when there is some, it is usually between guards swinging the ball around the arc. Lots of unnecessary dribbling too.

We need to find someone, maybe Facey, that will step in the middle of the zone and knock down the 10-15 footer. Need to take pressure off Boat, DHam, and Purvis. Never feeding the ball down low clogs things up around the perimeter.
Lots of this are true, but it's hard to get too concerned about the fact when Purvis isn't playing. He's really changes things.

Reaction Score
dont hold breath on 1 trick puppy omar or purv

would like to see them do well but they is what they is

Reaction Score
Well seeing as we don't have a point guard or post players things could be worst. Gulp.

Reaction Score

Yeah I'd like to see a bit more out of him but I think that's on him for now. He doesn't flash to the ball like he wants it all that much and even when he gets it with no one on him or near him he doesn't want to put it on the floors. I'm excited about his rebounding presence and even his defense was a little more aggressive yesterday but I'm not sure he's ready to be the guy we need on offense. But not a bad idea to find out a little more I agree.

Reaction Score
yeah? please tell me you seeing anyone on our team that can run offense because then I won't have to be so gloomy lol

I'm not sure what Boat is doing so wrong. Is he a "true" PG? No but he's making plays without too many mistakes. He set Cassell Jr up a few times as did Daniel only to come up empty. He's playing fine, we can't throw it inside and others aren't stepping up. Not sure what else he can do for now. A couple brain farts going to the baseline and such but that happens, Bazz did that too. No signs of our struggle with Ryan actually he's been better than I thought!

Reaction Score
Boat is 10% worse? No way. His total numbers tell a different story. He is not a knockdown 3 point shooter, but he often shoots it better up against the clock or under pressure.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, we really need all our guards to be healthy and playing together so they can start developing chemistry and we aren't so vulnerable to the turnovers (WV) or shooting woes (TX).

This team can be very, very good.

Reaction Score
Hamilton should touch the ball every posession. Boat still dribbles way too much. The only inside game we have is when Hamilton throws Brimah an ally oop. Please have Omar heal and be deadly from 3 this year. I like Boat but don't think he can run the team well, is he too short to see where to pass it. By the end of the year DHam will be the main focus on offense, hopefully sooner, kid is a stud!

Reaction Score
Hamilton should touch the ball every posession. Boat still dribbles way too much. The only inside game we have is when Hamilton throws Brimah an ally oop. Please have Omar heal and be deadly from 3 this year. I like Boat but don't think he can run the team well, is he too short to see where to pass it. By the end of the year DHam will be the main focus on offense, hopefully sooner, kid is a stud!

Boat does dribble too much at times but we said the same about Bazz sometimes. When you're offense consists of you and DHam hopefully creating I'm afraid at times one of them will be dribbling a lot. We really need some others to step up and like you, I hope Omar is back to normal and Rodney takes some of the pressure off too.

Reaction Score
Boat does dribble too much at times but we said the same about Bazz sometimes. When you're offense consists of you and DHam hopefully creating I'm afraid at times one of them will be dribbling a lot. We really need some others to step up and like you, I hope Omar is back to normal and Rodney takes some of the pressure off too.
It's why they need Purvis back, and they need Purvis to shoot the ball like he did at NC State. He'd be another threat from deep, and another offense initiator. Once you have the 1-3s able to initiate offense, things will get easier for Brimah and Facey down low.

Reaction Score
Boatright has been 10% *better than I had hoped.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
They out rebounded a big Texas team that was averaging a +12 on the boards - the fight for every rebound was impressive. They made Myles Turner work real hard for every shot and he rarely, if at all, was able to square himself to shoot the ball. Ridley too. For a bunch of undersized physically guys, they worked their tails off on every pass and every shot. It is amazing Phil Nolan didn't get a shot, but he defended like crazy and he needs to get credit for that. Besides Facey,, who's been a tremendous presence on the boards, the bigs need to figure out how to defend then get rebounds though. Nonetheless great effort and not Phil's fault we couldn't shoot the ball. FT's - 17-21 and 81% is UConn-Like and back on par. If they can't shoot it from deep they will need to get to the line and this is a good sign they can make them. The one miss by Boat - ouch - it tried to stay in too! Played with the #7 team despite shooting 30% and 19% from 3. Wasn't sold on our half court defense but it is nice to see they can mix it up. Actually would like to see a little more zone with this team (thought they might come out from the last TO in one to stay away from the picks) they look long in a zone. We can point to Sam JR missing 9 shots or no one making a shot down the stretch but bottom line was our transition defense. It was putrid, never got better and people didn't get back ready to play D fast enough. Not saying they weren't playing hard or hustling but that one time you lay off the pedal your guy burns you or someone else, creating a break. They did that often and that will kill them against Duke if there is not improvement. Yale will pose problems if we aren't healthy, maybe even if we are. It's now a fight to get enough wins to get back to defend, had one in their hands and it's hard to make up for that. I know it's early but it's go time from here on out.

Our transition D wasn't a problem in the second half. Texas had 4 FG (until the last 30 seconds).

A couple of the first half problems came from trying to apply token pressure out of bounds after a made bucket or FT. We didn't get organized quickly enough and they attacked right away and got behind our first wave of defense. So we stopped doing that. A couple other times were live ball lack of hustle.

Reaction Score
They out rebounded a big Texas team that was averaging a +12 on the boards - the fight for every rebound was impressive.

They made Myles Turner work real hard for every shot and he rarely, if at all, was able to square himself to shoot the ball. Ridley too. For a bunch of undersized physically guys, they worked their tails off on every pass and every shot.

It is amazing Phil Nolan didn't get a shot, but he defended like crazy and he needs to get credit for that. Besides Facey,, who's been a tremendous presence on the boards, the bigs need to figure out how to defend then get rebounds though. Nonetheless great effort and not Phil's fault we couldn't shoot the ball.

FT's - 17-21 and 81% is UConn-Like and back on par. If they can't shoot it from deep they will need to get to the line and this is a good sign they can make them. The one miss by Boat - ouch - it tried to stay in too!

Played with the #7 team despite shooting 30% and 19% from 3. Wasn't sold on our half court defense but it is nice to see they can mix it up. Actually would like to see a little more zone with this team (thought they might come out from the last TO in one to stay away from the picks) they look long in a zone.

We can point to Sam JR missing 9 shots or no one making a shot down the stretch but bottom line was our transition defense. It was putrid, never got better and people didn't get back ready to play D fast enough. Not saying they weren't playing hard or hustling but that one time you lay off the pedal your guy burns you or someone else, creating a break. They did that often and that will kill them against Duke if there is not improvement.

Yale will pose problems if we aren't healthy, maybe even if we are. It's now a fight to get enough wins to get back to defend, had one in their hands and it's hard to make up for that. I know it's early but it's go time from here on out.
Totally agree after watching the replay this AM. I thought they played hard and Boat and Hamilton played outstanding. We need to remember that Texas is the number 7 team in the nations and although they were missing one of their best players so were we. If we continue to play that hard every time out, and we can hit a couple of shots now and them, we will be OK.

Reaction Score
Not going to regurgitate what is said already, here is a research note from ESPN, on the side bar of UConn VS Texas game:

" Connecticut has played nine players this season, with seven averaging at least 23.5 minutes per game. The Huskies are the only team in the nation with seven players averaging that many minutes per game (min. 3 games played). "

Oddly, i find it very intriguing. Our head coach may have started planting seeds already. After all, that's what We UCONN is all about.

Coming tourney time, KO will whip this squads into a well-oiled machine like German tank!

Reaction Score
Our transition D wasn't a problem in the second half. Texas had 4 FG (until the last 30 seconds).

A couple of the first half problems came from trying to apply token pressure out of bounds after a made bucket or FT. We didn't get organized quickly enough and they attacked right away and got behind our first wave of defense. So we stopped doing that. A couple other times were live ball lack of hustle.

Most were off of rebounds and people jogging back if my memory serves me right but I will look again. Way too many guys with their backs to the basket running back looking for their own guy when needed to funnel in to help first and foremost! Something a young team needs to work on!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed but content, I like our potential and that's what matters most at this point in time

we have a super stud in the making, DHam is going to be fun to watch

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Yeah I'd like to see a bit more out of him but I think that's on him for now. He doesn't flash to the ball like he wants it all that much and even when he gets it with no one on him or near him he doesn't want to put it on the floors. I'm excited about his rebounding presence and even his defense was a little more aggressive yesterday but I'm not sure he's ready to be the guy we need on offense. But not a bad idea to find out a little more I agree.
He's extremely polished around the rim. Actually, crafty is a better word. He looks comfortable down there.

Reaction Score
Most were off of rebounds and people jogging back if my memory serves me right but I will look again. Way too many guys with their backs to the basket running back looking for their own guy when needed to funnel in to help first and foremost! Something a young team needs to work on!

It probably happened 5 times. I think 2 of them were when it looked we were trying to show token pressure (one was after a made free throw where we started to fan out into a 2-2-1, but they whipped the ball ahead up the sideline - poor organization on our part). But the rest were live ball situations where we didn't match up or get back, so your point is fair.

Seems like we've corrected most of our glaring problems this year at halftime or in game (Dayton - cutters getting to the rim in the halfcourt, WV - breaking the press, Texas - transition D, Bryant - not giving up an 18-0 run to a crappy team). Hopefully, we'll get to the point where we don't need a halftime adjustment phase and can fix things on the fly after 1-2 mistakes and not several.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Dare I say it, but Facey's rebounding skills are on par with Brimah's shot blocking skills (if not even better).

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Dare I say it, but Facey's rebounding skills are on par with Brimah's shot blocking skills (if not even better).
I haven't seen a guy go up for the ball like Facey in a while. Literally throws his body at the ball. Sometimes that's an over-the-ball foul, but hey he's learning. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom