Dawn Staley makes case for No. 1 South Carolina women's basketball as underdog at UConn | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley makes case for No. 1 South Carolina women's basketball as underdog at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Are we the favorites? I think we're the favorites for you all. Some people may think otherwise," Staley said. "I'm not falling for it. The narrative really is that South Carolina's going to win the game because (UConn) has a depleted roster. That's a narrative. For us, we're going to continue to do what we've done all season long."
However, Boston is not necessarily buying the underdog position. She sees USC as the favorite.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She's taking a page out of the Lou Holtz "we're gonna be in for a lickin' this week," speech, which he gave whether his Irish were playing Southern Cal or the sisters of the poor.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure where she said they were underdogs.this is simply some reporter deciding that her story would get more reads if Dawn really said it so, she put it in her title. The problem is, she never said it! I’m glad she didn’t of course. That would have been embarrassing for her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes, lets!! If you haven't been keeping up with all of the media articles written about this game the last few days, catch up. If you're a UConn fan, you know. If you're a Gamecock fan, you know. Staley has earned the right to take the posture she has. Her team is the "reigning national champions", and..............they come into this game undefeated. No more need be said. Their status and current record speak for themselves. Lest I remind you what Bill Parcells said about records. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m not sure where she said they were underdogs.this is simply some reporter deciding that her story would get more reads if Dawn really said it so, she put it in her title. The problem is, she never said it! I’m glad she didn’t of course. That would have been embarrassing for her.
Another case of a beat reporter trying to create controversy (news) were there is none. :mad: This game does not need any more "spice."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The only ones that really believe that SCar is an underdog on Sunday is this reporter and maybe their relatives.

Reaction Score
Staley never said we are the underdogs. Not once. She had nothing but great things to say about UConn too. She did say that the narrative is that we will win because UConn has so many injuries but she’s not buying it. She doesn’t want her team buying it either. We have won 3/4 but have never won at UConn. There are reasons SC is wary of this game and should be. The game isn’t played on paper.

Reaction Score
Some things just can't be sold, folks. They're undefeated and have been #1 since day one.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think the rest and relaxation that the UConn players have had since their last game will have a positive effect on the team in general. At least they will be able to go into the game with a "full tank of gas"...so to speak. I am not sure that it will be enough as SC's depth is a real problem. The margin of error for UConn is infinitesimally small. Both teams have their share of elite basketball players. And, both teams have their advantages...UConn in the back court and So Car. in the front court.

UConn has the advantage of home court but I think home court advantage is worth only 5 points or so and having lost our last two outings namely the championship game last year by 15 and the in-season challenge also last year by 16...I am not sure that is enough. Mind you this So. Car. team is essentially the same team as last year. UConn, on the other hand. has faced So. Car. will a fluid roster depending on who was able to play and some might argue that they have the same amount of fire power injured on the bench as they have on the floor.

UConn's has another intangible that I did not mention in the "Game Analysis" thread: That is, they have faced so much adversity this season and last as a result of the plethora of injuries that it has in some ways hardened or steeled their will. The fact that UConn isn't beating every team by 30 plus points and that they have already dropped a couple of games this season can in actually be a positive thing in that it has and is providing some motivation for them to play hard every game and to have trust in each other.

With all that said So.Car.'s strengths are that they have long, tall, athletic and talented players in every position. Additionally, because they go 11 -12 deep into their roster that gives Dawn a lot of options... Those options will allow Dawn to make "in game" adjustments until she gets the right combination of players that can negate what Geno's players are doing.

For Geno, it is as Nika said in her interview..."all we have is us, there is no place to go". This gives Geno fewer options...while Geno may not be able to mix and match the way Dawn can...this may very well be one of his best coaching years. Geno's challenge is to keep his current active players healthy and motivated. He is finding himself coaching his players more often on their mental resilience and state of mind.

But, I digress here...The inherent advantages of this So. Car. team have been enough to beat UConn in its last two match-ups...albeit each time we played So. Car. we were a different team due to the players who were sitting on the bench injured. This year's confrontation has UConn in many ways worse off than its past two encounters. We are down to our starting five having to play 10 plus minutes each because our remaining three bench players are not yet ready for "prime time". This is not a diss on our bench players which features 2 freshmen and the ever enigmatic Sophomore Amari DeBerry but, rather an honest assessment of our current situation.

While I have entered into the prognosticator's thread predicting an 11 point victory for So. Car. it is in fact, the last result that I would want to see. I really want to be wrong here for if I am and UConn is able to pull this one off, they will have put the entire WCBB world on notice. The message would send shivers down the spine of every Division 1 WCBB coach out there. And, for Dawn "the narrative" will have changed to: Holy crap! UConn just beat the number one team in WCBB and they did it with only half of their team. Who is going to be able to touch them when they have a fully healthy team?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the rest and relaxation that the UConn players have had since their last game will have a positive effect on the team in general. At least they will be able to go into the game with a "full tank of gas"...so to speak. I am not sure that it will be enough as SC's depth is a real problem. The margin of error for UConn is infinitesimally small. Both teams have their share of elite basketball players. And, both teams have their advantages...UConn in the back court and So Car. in the front court.

UConn has the advantage of home court but I think home court advantage is worth only 5 points or so and having lost our last two outings namely the championship game last year by 15 and the in-season challenge also last year by 16...I am not sure that is enough. Mind you this So. Car. team is essentially the same team as last year. UConn, on the other hand. has faced So. Car. will a fluid roster depending on who was able to play and some might argue that they have the same amount of fire power injured on the bench as they have on the floor.

UConn's has another intangible that I did not mention in the "Game Analysis" thread: That is, they have faced so much adversity this season and last as a result of the plethora of injuries that it has in some ways hardened or steeled their will. The fact that UConn isn't beating every team by 30 plus points and that they have already dropped a couple of games this season can in actually be a positive thing in that it has and is providing some motivation for them to play hard every game and to have trust in each other.

With all that said So.Car.'s strengths are that they have long, tall, athletic and talented players in every position. Additionally, because they go 11 -12 deep into their roster that gives Dawn a lot of options... Those options will allow Dawn to make "in game" adjustments until she gets the right combination of players that can negate what Geno's players are doing.

For Geno, it is as Nika said in her interview..."all we have is us, there is no place to go". This gives Geno fewer options...while Geno may not be able to mix and match the way Dawn can...this may very well be one of his best coaching years. Geno's challenge is to keep his current active players healthy and motivated. He is finding himself coaching his players more often on their mental resilience and state of mind.

But, I digress here...The inherent advantages of this So. Car. team have been enough to beat UConn in its last two match-ups...albeit each time we played So. Car. we were a different team due to the players who were sitting on the bench injured. This year's confrontation has UConn in many ways worse off than its past two encounters. We are down to our starting five having to play 10 plus minutes each because our remaining three bench players are not yet ready for "prime time". This is not a diss on our bench players which features 2 freshmen and the ever enigmatic Sophomore Amari DeBerry but, rather an honest assessment of our current situation.

While I have entered into the prognosticator's thread predicting an 11 point victory for So. Car. it is in fact, the last result that I would want to see. I really want to be wrong here for if I am and UConn is able to pull this one off, they will have put the entire WCBB world on notice. The message would send shivers down the spine of every Division 1 WCBB coach out there. And, for Dawn "the narrative" will have changed to: Holy crap! UConn just beat the number one team in WCBB and they did it with only half of their team. Who is going to be able to touch them when they have a fully healthy team?
Well done, cferraro04. You've put in OT on this one, and I hope everyone here on the Boneyard appreciates it.

I will go with my friends to the XL Center tomorrow wary but eternally optimistic. If the outcome is more what we expect than what we hope for, there'll be another day, and the sun will shine Monday.

Go, Huskies!:cool:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'm not expecting a win, however if UConn keeps it close, I agree that it puts WCBB on notice, as if they can compete and hang with a healthily SC team, who knows what they will do if and when players return from injury.

Reaction Score
I'm not expecting a win, however if UConn keeps it close, I agree that it puts WCBB on notice, as if they can compete and hang with a healthily SC team, who knows what they will do if and when players return from injury.
That probably is the best case scenario.

Reaction Score
WOW - a pregame battle between UConn and SC about who is the biggest underdog. Something I never expected to see. Go UConn!

Reaction Score
I don't like her at all. Some day I hope we find out what angle she used to get Boston to change her mind at the last minute.
I’ve seen it reported on GC sites from those who have talked to people in the know (family member, friends, etc.) that while the expectation initially was for AB to attend UConn, that wasn’t necessarily the case for her & the family. Over time and as the process of meeting coaches & learning about schools played out, AB & her family appreciated Dawn’s professional & personal touch/pitch of “we want you to play for SC - we believe in you - but nothing promised - work hard - the best play“ over Geno‘s (and I’m paraphrasing) “we want you to play for UConn but you need UConn more than UConn needs you“. Ultimately, they respected GA, but there was some disconnect for the family & AB.

yes - the above is hearsay. But do know this, DS is not a huckster in recruiting with a bag of fancy tricks. She does not offer every player under the sun. After the 1st NC & the team turmoil that unfolded during the 2018/19 season, she has become very selective & now has a certain type of BB/athlete in mind that she recruits. They must have the mindset to play the style of BB she wants at SC (tough D, team first) . She is very upfront with the recruit & their family on what she expects from players that play for SC.

Dawn has recounted the call she got from AB when she committed & said she (AB) was very emotional during it. In the end, I think AB just felt closer to Dawn/SC & that’s where she felt she could develop & play her best at. Seems to have been a good choice as she is a wonderful student athlete & has become one of the best players in the country.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’ve seen it reported on GC sites from those who have talked to people in the know (family member, friends, etc.) that while the expectation initially was for AB to attend UConn, that wasn’t necessarily the case for her & the family. Over time and as the process of meeting coaches & learning about schools played out, AB & her family appreciated Dawn’s professional & personal touch/pitch of “we want you to play for SC - we believe in you - but nothing promised - work hard - the best play“ over Geno‘s (and I’m paraphrasing) “we want you to play for UConn but you need UConn more than UConn needs you“. Ultimately, they respected GA, but there was some disconnect for the family & AB.
Hogwash.

Reaction Score
Hogwash.
My thoughts exactly. No way did Geno say that. That may be someone paraphrasing someone else's perception. But no way were his words even close to that. I have no doubt she felt more comfortable with Dawn but why...really. Was she attracted to the mentality of fouling opponents to make sure they don't get open or make it to the rim?

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are making the same accusations Tennessee made of Geno when he landed Maya who was in Tennessee's backyard like Boston was in ours. Time to let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom