Dawn Staley Finalist for OSU Job | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley Finalist for OSU Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Would be a great move by Dawn to change jobs from South Carolina to Ohio State. She has a better chance at winning a Big Ten title then she ever would an SEC title. I would think she could recruit better at OSU as well. IMHO it would be a good hire for OSU

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It could, also, solidify a reputation for her of being a job hopper. How long has she been at South Carolina, 4 years?

Reaction Score
It could, also, solidify a reputation for her of being a job hopper. How long has she been at South Carolina, 4 years?
If she thinks the OSU job is a major advancement, she should jump at it. Such opportunities usually come infrequently especially considering she probably won't be the leading candidate for every (or many) position offered.

Reaction Score
OSU needed to make this coaching move 3 years ago. Foster lost his fire for coaching many years ago and the OSU boosters wanted him out, but the AD stood the ground until this season........I hope Dawn gets this job and returns OSU to a B10 power......Will UCONN join her in the B10 or the ACC next season?

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

Well, the linked article lists five years of records for Staley at USC. A job at tOSU has a much higher ceiling than does one at South Carolina. I look at it as a fairly natural progression in a good coach's career.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If she is looking to leave it would certainly help UCONN with Wilson. However, if Wilson is sold on Staley she may follow her to OSU.

This could also help Baylor with Ieshia Small, who is down to USC and BU. Does Small want to commit to USC and have Staley bolt?

Should be interesting. I definitely think Staley is a coach on the rise. Much like Mulkey she has a tremendous résumé as a player.

Reaction Score
This would be huge for UCONN considering A'Ja Wilson is supposedly down to South Carolina and UCONN as her top 2. I doubt she would go to SC without Staley
I agree. This would certainly shake up the decision-making. If it's closeness to home that is her dominant criterion, then she would have already verballed to South Carolina. So it's Coach Staley and her school versus Coach Auriemma and Uconn. If Coach Staley goes to OSU, I would imagine Uconn would be favored for her verbal.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree. This would certainly shake up the decision-making. If it's closeness to home that is her dominant criterion, then she would have already verballed to South Carolina. So it's Coach Staley and her school versus Coach Auriemma and Uconn. If Coach Staley goes to OSU, I would imagine Uconn would be favored for her verbal.

Something tells me that she will expand to include OSU and take a visit. Staley will surely woo her and she has another year to take an official visit. It all depends on how big of a factor playing for Staley was/is. I think this delays her decision for a while. Could also depend on who USC hires.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting!!! I always felt Staley was missing an elite post at South Carolina. She has an incoming freshman by the name of Alaina Coates (6-4) that would help them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As a hire at OSU I rather like Staley because honestly I do not see her elevating that program. I feel she has been overrated as a coach. She is good, but I do not think she is an elite hire.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Icebear - she has an impressive record at bringing programs along - SC was pretty miserable before her hire and she has certainly made them competitive in the SEC, and Temple was also a success. Whether that is her coaching or her recruiting I am not sure, but OSU could certainly do worse. (I think GG would be an example of worse - convinced that her success was more the Duke name in recruiting than her coaching.)

As for job-hopping ... 5 years is a reasonable commitment to a program I think. I would think it was job hopping if she were to make a sideways move, but I think OSU has to be considered an upward move.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think she brought USC all that far.

Reaction Score
Something tells me that she will expand to include OSU and take a visit. Staley will surely woo her and she has another year to take an official visit. It all depends on how big of a factor playing for Staley was/is. I think this delays her decision for a while. Could also depend on who USC hires.

The same can be said of Iesha Small and her situation.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I sorta feel like Ice -- she improves a program, but doesn't stay long enough to show she can ELEVATE the program into the top10 -- that take 8-10 yrs.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think it would be a nice hire for OSU. Dawn is a good coach. She took over a SC program that was bad. Ten wins that first year when she took over. Had the in NCAA' s the past couple of years.

Reaction Score
In the 17 yrs before Staley, SC had just 2 tourney appearances, and that was largely because Teresa Geter got homesick and transferred from Tennessee. In 5 seasons, Staley has alredy taken them to 2.

SEC record
1992-2008: 64-157
2009-2013: 38-40 (36-28 if you exclude year 1).

She has improved them a lot.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the recruiting front - hard to say what reasons a HS player is using for their teams - could be proximity to home or the coaching staff or family or ...
I certainly think it cannot be a good thing even to be seen interviewing for a new job and recruiting. If the coach is part of the reason, you are in essence saying to the recruit - I am looking for you to make a 4 year commitment, but don't actually count on me being here when you arrive and certainly not for 4 years! The grass is definitely greener somewhere else.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The same can be said of Iesha Small and her situation.

Not as likely since Small is a late commit and will be announcing her choice on Wednesday. She doesn't have another year to reconsider.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think it would be a nice hire for OSU. Dawn is a good coach. She took over a SC program that was bad. Ten wins that first year when she took over. Had the in NCAA' s the past couple of years.
I don't think that is what OSU is looking for though. They have been to the big dance they want someone to take them to the FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom