Dawn Staley--Black Women Coaches | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley--Black Women Coaches

Reaction Score
I

If UConn‘s next coach is black, he/she should only be held to the same standard as Geno is: Go undefeated and win the national championship every year.

That said, does this question have anything to do with Dawn’s P/T article?

The question was stated by Dawn as : Black Women Coaches are held to a higher standard. It was intended to get you to read Dawn's thoughts.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I

If UConn‘s next coach is black, he/she should only be held to the same standard as Geno is: Go undefeated and win the national championship every year.

That said, does this question have anything to do with Dawn’s P/T article?
Even Geno does not do that.

Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure what Coach Staley has an issue with. Currently African Americans make up roughly only 13% of the population in the US, yet 22.3% of the head coaches in the NCAA are African American. If anything. African American coaches are getting jobs at a disproportionately HIGHER rate than White coaches.

Reaction Score
The Pac has "recently" had four African American female head coaches. Nikki Caldwell (Fargas) at UCLA, Cynthia Cooper Dyke at USC, Tia Jackson at UW and LaVonda Wagner at OSU. Caldwell-Fargas was a hit in her three years but Jackson and Wagner were so bad that they seriously damaged their programs. Wagner left the program in such terrible shape that Rueck had to have open tryouts on campus for players. Jackson began trying to disallow transfers because so many players wanted to leave. Cooper Dyke was so disliked by her players that it became a revolving door of transfers. The concept that they were held to higher standard is ridiculous. It would have been interesting to see how Caldwell Fargas might have developed at UCLA without a top class of players but we saw some of the subsequent results at LSU.

For many reasons, I think ADs would like to have African American female coaches for their basketball programs but when things don't work out, what do you do? The next crop of associate/assistant coaches like Niele Ivey and Johnnie Harris will certainly get their chances sooner or later but Tia Jackson was considered one of the top assistant coaches in the nation before her spectacular flop in Seattle.

Coquese Washington started with a bang but has left Penn St in a perpetual state of rebuilding. And of course, let's not forget the worst head coach in recent memory, Sheryl Swoopes at Loyola.

Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure what Coach Staley has an issue with. Currently African Americans make up roughly only 13% of the population in the US, yet 22.3% of the head coaches in the NCAA are African American. If anything. African American coaches are getting jobs at a disproportionately HIGHER rate than White coaches.

You might be quoting the wrong statistic.

Also try to put context into coach Staley's story. She was relating her childhood where the coach of her all black AAU team was white and the only black coach even able to recruit her when she was in high school was Coach Stringer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom