David Pindell Looking To Deliver For UConn Football In 2018 (M. Anthony) | The Boneyard

David Pindell Looking To Deliver For UConn Football In 2018 (M. Anthony)

Reaction Score
David Pindell Looking To Deliver For UConn Football In 2018

>>"He's better than what he was," Edsall said. "He's more comfortable, I think."<<

>>The offseason has been valuable. Pindell spent spring break on campus, which impressed Edsall. Having recently declared agricultural resource economics as a major, Pindell spent the time preparing for academic rigors — and football rigors.

Dunn brings to UConn a different type of no-huddle offense — not dramatically different than the one run by Rhett Lashlee, but different nonetheless. There are fewer shotgun formations, and Pindell is more comfortable under center. Pindell said time chatting with Dunn, who came to UConn from the Chicago Bears, was valuable, a way to ease into a process where last year he arrived in August and was named the starter before his new world even stopped spinning.<<

>>"Those two guys have to keep coming," Edsall said of Washington and McAfee. "Marvin's got a lot of talent, Jordan's got talent. But those guys, you just want them to be better than what they are. They've got to keep pushing. They've got to do it every day."<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here’s an Ostrout article about Pindell as well: Employing strong-arm tactics

>>“It’s new. It’s from a different style. But a lot of the concepts and reads are the same as last year,” quarterback David Pindell said after practice Tuesday at the Shenkman Center. “We just call it different ways. And we go more under center now, instead of just all gun (shotgun).”<<

>>“I feel a lot more comfortable with this. There’s a lot of stuff that I’m comfortable with,” said Pindell, a rising senior who transferred to UConn from a junior college last season. “I feel like this offense, I like it more. It’s better for me. And I think it fits our offense, the players around here.”<<

Reaction Score
Note the description of the offense in the article. Probable that Palatine's declarations of a return to vanilla were a bit premature.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here’s an Ostrout article about Pindell as well: Employing strong-arm tactics

>>“It’s new. It’s from a different style. But a lot of the concepts and reads are the same as last year,” quarterback David Pindell said after practice Tuesday at the Shenkman Center. “We just call it different ways. And we go more under center now, instead of just all gun (shotgun).”<<

>>“I feel a lot more comfortable with this. There’s a lot of stuff that I’m comfortable with,” said Pindell, a rising senior who transferred to UConn from a junior college last season. “I feel like this offense, I like it more. It’s better for me. And I think it fits our offense, the players around here.”<<
Thanks some real praise for Dunn just a few weeks into his new program. And others had some similar positive comments, although maybe not as strong as Pindell.

Reaction Score
We were better out of the shot gun. I’m glad we are still going hurry up but I’m uneasy about pass protection. Hopefully, we can give the QBs time to make a throw.

Reaction Score
We were better out of the shot gun. I’m glad we are still going hurry up but I’m uneasy about pass protection. Hopefully, we can give the QBs time to make a throw.

Reports out of spring practice is that the OL is looking better than it has in a long while. If true, the QB (with Pindell the publicly acknowledged leader in the clubhouse right now) will have the time needed to create. Purposeful creativity (instead of running for your life) is much more effective .

The improvement in Cespedes’ play also is a huge and welcome development. Great for him personally, and it makes the unit better. The more capable and trustworthy options the better, especially when the inevitable injuries hit. Any drop off can't be too great when its time for the next man up.

A minor worry I have right now is at center. Hubbard sounds like he has potential but obviously he is young and in the highlights from camp the snap is a bit floaty and not the most accurate. Hopefully lots of reps takes care of that. And if Crozier is healthy enough to bounce back from his second knee injury we should be fine.

I’m REALLY looking forward to seeing this OL perform. I can’t believe I’m typing this, but it’s possible it could be one of our strengths this year.

Reaction Score
Reports out of spring practice is that the OL is looking better than it has in a long while. If true, the QB (with Pindell the publicly acknowledged leader in the clubhouse right now) will have the time needed to create. Purposeful creativity (instead of running for your life) is much more effective .

The improvement in Cespedes’ play also is a huge and welcome development. Great for him personally, and it makes the unit better. The more capable and trustworthy options the better, especially when the inevitable injuries hit. Any drop off can't be too great when its time for the next man up.

A minor worry I have right now is at center. Hubbard sounds like he has potential but obviously he is young and in the highlights from camp the snap is a bit floaty and not the most accurate. Hopefully lots of reps takes care of that. And if Crozier is healthy enough to bounce back from his second knee injury we should be fine.

I’m REALLY looking forward to seeing this OL perform. I can’t believe I’m typing this, but it’s possible it could be one of our strengths this year.

In fairness, that OL looks really good against our DL. There’s another way to read those reports.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
In fairness, that OL looks really good against our DL. There’s another way to read those reports.
Which is nice to hear - but then again our DL is raw (being nice) until the new blood comes this summer.

Reaction Score
Note the description of the offense in the article. Probable that Palatine's declarations of a return to vanilla were a bit premature.
We haven't seen it yet. But my observation that it will slowed down (to protect Edsall's defense) has already been confirmed.

We know that Edsall is comfortable with vanilla. We'll see how far out of his comfort zone the OC is allowed to wander.

Reaction Score
The Edsall being too vanilla is confusing to me.

When we had Orlovsky we threw the ball a lot. When we had Brown, Dixon, Todman at RB and Frazier and Lorenzen at QB we ran the ball a lot more. As we should have.

You can criticize Edsall for not recruiting the QB position better his first time around, but we had the right,and an effective offensive system for our roster. And while guys certainly have to prove it on the field, our QB's seem promising going forward.

Reaction Score
All I can say is that I hope I can say, "Washington"
I think Washington has the biggest upside, but based on HCRE’s comments he hasn’t fully committed to the process of being the starter. I think Pindell will be fine this season. He played well down the stretch and played with confidence. I think that has carried over into the off season. He seems to be more vocal, which was an issue last season. He seems coachable, and has been working on the things the staff told him he needed to. I’m good with Pindell being the starter. If Washington and McAfee continue to battle as viable back ups, then Krajewski can red shirt. The depth at QB should be better then it’s ever been. It’s a good problem to have.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I completely understand the logic of hoping the veteran QB can hold down the fort so the rookie and RS can gain more time learning the system. But, I would celebrate the Summer day that Marv or Krajewski outright takes the job. Not doubting Pindell can run the show but it's been a minute since we last had a 4yr starter at the position. That is what I want.

Dated article but we all know the story since 2014.

Huddle Up: Huskies' List Of Mediocre (Or Bad) QBs Is Long

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Point well taken. However the unit showed improvement last year and that is with a number of new pieces that at now returning. I’m expecting they will be even better this year.

Reaction Score
The Edsall being too vanilla is confusing to me.

When we had Orlovsky we threw the ball a lot. When we had Brown, Dixon, Todman at RB and Frazier and Lorenzen at QB we ran the ball a lot more. As we should have.

You can criticize Edsall for not recruiting the QB position better his first time around, but we had the right,and an effective offensive system for our roster. And while guys certainly have to prove it on the field, our QB's seem promising going forward.
The inside handoff need I say more? . Even when we had DanO Edsall would say stuff like "we will win with defense and kicking." That's no joke

Reaction Score
I'm hopeful we will rack up some pretty impressive rushing yards in 2018 which will keep our D off the field. I expect it will look very much like the Tyler Lorenzen offense.

The QB Lining up under center almost seems exotic these days.

Opening up against UCF at home could be a lucky break. They are breaking in a new coach and will probably be looking past us. It's a huge opportunity to punch them in the mouth with some old fashioned ground and pound.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I hope the OL isn’t looking good because we have no pass rush.

C

Chief00

Thanks some real praise for Dunn just a few weeks into his new program. And others had some similar positive comments, although maybe not as strong as Pindell.

Still waiting to read a player compliment Crocker.

Reaction Score
The inside handoff need I say more? . Even when we had DanO Edsall would say stuff like "we will win with defense and kicking." That's no joke
Except that Dan O threw the football all over the lot in an era when teams didn’t pass as much as they do now. Edsall played to win games believing that wins counted more than style points.

Reaction Score
Except that Dan O threw the football all over the lot in an era when teams didn’t pass as much as they do now. Edsall played to win games believing that wins counted more than style points.
You second sentence, yes, true, and a good thing. But you are moving the conversation.

Edsall prefers a conservative offense. He is very happy punting and playing defense and not taking chances. And although he has said on many occasions he would like the offense to be 50/50 run/pass. It's not how he coaches.

Your first sentence, DanO was the EXCEPTION not the rule. You can see how out of sync DanO's years were compared to the rest of Edsall's tenure.

year, pass plays per game, running plays per game.

2017 35-40
2010 27-38
2009 28-40
2008 25-42
2007 27-41
2006 26-40
2005 27-44
2004 38-35
2003 40-38
2002 32-37
2001 34-33

Reaction Score
You second sentence, yes, true, and a good thing. But you are moving the conversation.

Edsall prefers a conservative offense. He is very happy punting and playing defense and not taking chances. And although he has said on many occasions he would like the offense to be 50/50 run/pass. It's not how he coaches.

Your first sentence, DanO was the EXCEPTION not the rule. You can see how out of sync DanO's years were compared to the rest of Edsall's tenure.

year, pass plays per game, running plays per game.

2017 35-40
2010 27-38
2009 28-40
2008 25-42
2007 27-41
2006 26-40
2005 27-44
2004 38-35
2003 40-38
2002 32-37
2001 34-33
He also hasn't had a good QB since Dan so it can't be that surprising. I hope we have a good enough line this year that we can do a lot out of play action from under center. It's not used nearly enough in college IMO. A good run game with vertical play action passing is deadly.

Reaction Score
Great point. We are introducing more pressure on the OL moving back under center. But, it does open up the 3 step QB read option . But, the drawback is it also induces happy feet and premature decisions to run before the primary route develops. I suspect we will see a lot more quick hits to the TE and slot, more roll outs with run throw options, and more counters and traps. I won't miss the zone run from shotgun... terrible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dan O wasn't throwing the ball all over the place when he visited BCU. Because Edsall was playing to keep it close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom