David Benedict still on mission with UConn football, and finding right coach is top priority (Amore/Courant) | The Boneyard

David Benedict still on mission with UConn football, and finding right coach is top priority (Amore/Courant)

Reaction Score

-> The search figures to heat up late in the season and conclude shortly after the Huskies’ season finale vs. Houston on Nov. 27. “The process has begun because we know we have hire another head coach at the end of the season,” Benedict said. “The process is trying to identify potential candidates. You would like to hire someone so they are in place by Dec. 1 with the early signing period Dec. 15.

You have student-athletes on our team that are going to be making decisions, everyone has the right to transfer. So we want to make sure our team, potential recruits and opportunities in the transfer portal are something we can take advantage of, as opposed to setting the program further back by not having someone in place.” <-

Alternate access link here <<

The alternate Outline conversion version above ends awkwardly because it’s missing a paragraph in the transition to a Big East BB question.

This is the last two paragraphs: -> On the basketball front, Benedict was fine with Big East commissioner Val Ackerman’s suggestion this week that the conference consider expanding when it’s TV deal with Fox is up.

“In this world that we live in,” Benedict said, “where competitiveness and strength of conference is so critical in a lot of different aspects, you have to be willing to look at alliances or additions all the time. We have to begin to look beyond how it’s always worked.” <-

Reaction Score
I’ll reserve judgement on Spanos until the season is over. I’d say Mazzone leaving and Tyler getting hurt probably killed any chance he had though. I actually expected to beat Vanderbilt, UMass, Yale and MTSU after the Wyoming game. If that had happened, he’d be a contender.

Reaction Score
gets what? gas? hemorrhoids?
not what an AD needs to be successful-that's clear

Well hold on now. I’m going to politely disagree. It’s not just about getting the right Xs and Os, we need a recruiter and a builder. Someone the donors can get behind.

We also need a warchest to hire the right recruiters. College football is more about attracting talent on the sideline and on the field.

I think he gets that at least.

Reaction Score
There is clearly a renewed effort to get the word out football isn’t going away and will be backed. This is distinctly different from the last few years of token statements with no top level admin support. So, we are seeing people coming out from under the cover with much bolder statements . Funny how it works.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I’ll reserve judgement on Spanos until the season is over. I’d say Mazzone leaving and Tyler getting hurt probably killed any chance he had though. I actually expected to beat Vanderbilt, UMass, Yale and MTSU after the Wyoming game. If that had happened, he’d be a contender.
Mazzone leaving? Did I miss something? We've been begging for info and answers. Please share.

Reaction Score
Spanos had no chance you're delusional if you think otherwise.

Reaction Score
Spanos had no chance you're delusional if you think otherwise.

If Spanos won four in a row and then competed well with or even beat one of Clemson, UCF or Houston, he’d be in play as a candidate. These searches then come down to who wants the job. If Dave’s top 2-3 choices didn’t want the job, Spanos may have been an option.

Reaction Score
Mazzone leaving? Did I miss something? We've been begging for info and answers. Please share.
You know what I mean. There hasn’t been a word about him and it certainly didn’t seem like he called the UMass game. Aside from the one double reverse, that was all Edsall stuff.

Reaction Score
If Spanos won four in a row and then competed well with or even beat one of Clemson, UCF or Houston, he’d be in play as a candidate. These searches then come down to who wants the job. If Dave’s top 2-3 choices didn’t want the job, Spanos may have been an option.
That's a big if and even if it did happen he'd be 5-6 on the list.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
1) Spanos was toast as soon a RE 2.0 failed so catastrophically. UCONN cannot keep any of the current football leadership next year.

2) The news offensive from state and school leaders about the commitment to big time football is an attempt to blunt the worries of any potential coaches.

3) The promises of money for the program supports point 2.

I'm optimistic. Let's go!

Reaction Score
I've seen enough to know that no one coaching should be retained. Yea, once thought Corey. But no. Clean slate. Needs to make small splash.

Why are we so enchanted by someone who was here. Spanos? Who would put thier AD job on the line for Spanos?

Reaction Score
That's a big if and even if it did happen he'd be 5-6 on the list.
I've seen enough to know that no one coaching should be retained. Yea, once thought Corey. But no. Clean slate. Needs to make small splash.

Why are we so enchanted by someone who was here. Spanos? Who would put thier AD job on the line for Spanos?

If Spanos did shockingly well, he'd be a candidate. I don't think anyone is backing Spanos unless I'm missing something. It just didn't work out in terms of things breaking the right way for him to be taken seriously. Plus, he doesn't have experience running a program.

I'm just hoping the new guy doesn't elicit a huge groan from the board or a "Who?". I want a coach we all are really excited about. No idea who is realistic that would elicit that response though.

Reaction Score
Under different circumstances, Spanos might be a candidate. But standard procedure in cases like this is to clean house completely. What that also means usually is years of reconfiguring the philosophy, the playbook and the personnel. So, this will be a VERY interesting decision even if Lamont is all in with a war chest to back his position.

Reaction Score
gets what? gas? hemorrhoids?
not what an AD needs to be successful-that's clear
So hiring Hurley was a failure? Hiring Cavanaugh for hockey was a failure? Getting a new baseball field and hockey rink is a failure? Build a very good football schedule for the foreseeable future is a failure? Building the student athlete center was a failure? But because he was strong armed by the BoT to hire Edsall, his entire career as AD at UConn is a failure.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I don't know if any of the staff should be retained. That will be up to the new coach. Special teams has been good, Corey seems to do a good job, we just don't throw to the TEs enough, especially last week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom