Dave Benedict | The Boneyard

Dave Benedict

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know it's been mentioned in a few different threads, but this guy's neck was on the line and he deserves a shout out for closing the deal, especially given how much crap we would have given him if it fell through.

Yes, the donors made it possible, and I'm sure Herbst and the trustees had to okay the deal, but he had to close it. And as Pitt shows, the money isn't everything. Apparently we almost lost it over money, especially when URI came up and essentially met all of his demands, and Pitt blasted the offer into crazy town.

Anyway, just wanted to say, great job on this one. If it's as right as it seems, it's the most important one of your career and I thank you for getting it done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree, 88. This hire was important for a lot of reasons and AD Dave got 'er done.

[Fast forward to the thread where people are bitching "he threw money at untested coach, after firing Kevin Ollie who actually won an national championship!!!]

Reaction Score
Hopefully a signature hire....I guess we'll know in a couple of years...I think it's a really good hire who can turn into a great hire...it's what the AD is supposed to do....

Reaction Score
He's had two coaching tests and I think he's done very well. He pulled the trigger on both Diaco and Ollie when some thought he'd give them another year. He then got somewhat creative in closing the deal on two experienced coaches. No guarantee that things would've ended differently, but it's too bad he wasn't around when the conference realignment stuff blew up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't know the football stuff nearly as well, so I don't know how much better he could've done than bringing back Edsall, which didn't wow me. Then again, I didn't know Diaco from Adam before we hired him and I thought he sounded like a good hire when I watched the presser at which he was introduced. Little did I know he was batspit crazy, and not in a good way.

This one just feels different. It feels like the right guy at the right time. And it would have been a real bummer if it fell through.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I had this post typed up but put it away until we see results from the hire but I like it.

Reaction Score
He did a really dirty, and amazingly complicated job professionally and with great results. I thinks he and JC have been working on this for a while. Which is what it takes.

It’s really nice to finally have an excellent AD.

Reaction Score
Agree, 88. This hire was important for a lot of reasons and AD Dave got 'er done.

[Fast forward to the thread where people are bitching "he threw money at untested coach, after firing Kevin Ollie who actually won an national championship!!!]
I'm fine with giving the guy credit. He did get it done. He also was the one that signed Ollie to the contract extension right? He doesn't have an easy job so I won't be going negative on him. I wanted Ollie to stay. I am happy with Hurley and excited we got him. Future looks brighter! I was wrong that firing Ollie would put us in a negative place that no coach would want to go to. Tough business!! Its like it never happened. Really glad JC is totally on board.

C

Chief00

The Hartford Courant is quoting UConn Foundation Head, Josh Newton, as saying the Foundation is not financially supporting the hiring of Hurley contrary to various accounts. I wonder if this is all right pocket/left pocket stuff? The donors give more for athletic scholarships and then the school not having that expense pays the coach?
Given the current litigation environment perhaps the Foundation did not want to fund his replacement until the KO situation is resolve? I don’t know the answer, but I think there must be an interesting back story here?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The Hartford Courant is quoting UConn Foundation Head, Josh Newton, as saying the Foundation is not financially supporting the hiring of Hurley contrary to various accounts. I wonder if this is all right pocket/left pocket stuff? The donors give more for athletic scholarships and then the school not having that expense pays the coach?
Given the current litigation environment perhaps the Foundation did not want to fund his replacement until the KO situation is resolve? I don’t know the answer, but I think there must be an interesting back story here?

Sounds like some serious investigation is needed. We'll have to let Willingham know.

Reaction Score
I can’t say enough good things about Benedict for pulling this off, and I honestly think it will have P5 implications long term. Warde Manuel would’ve been caught ‘monitoring the situation’ instead of doing what it takes to seal the deal.

C

Chief00

Sounds like some serious investigation is needed.

It could also be a timing thing where they will fund it post KO settlement. Or they could be funding the KO buyout in full. Lots of possible ways to structure things. Keep in mind unlike most college Foundations - their operational expenses are paid by the school not from funds raised. So they are used to clever accounting tactics.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He did a great job under the circumstances.

That said, it's worth noting that he put himself in this situation in the first place.

Good for him extricating himself (and us) from it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He did a great job under the circumstances.

That said, it's worth noting that he put himself in this situation in the first place.

Good for him extricating himself (and us) from it.
The extension looks a lot worse in hindsight. At the time it didn’t seem unreasonable. Things just fell apart so fast that it makes it seem like it’s been this way for a lot longer than it has.

Reaction Score
The Hartford Courant is quoting UConn Foundation Head, Josh Newton, as saying the Foundation is not financially supporting the hiring of Hurley contrary to various accounts.

Whose accounts? I've only heard you suggest it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know it's been mentioned in a few different threads, but this guy's neck was on the line and he deserves a shout out for closing the deal, especially given how much crap we would have given him if it fell through.

Yes, the donors made it possible, and I'm sure Herbst and the trustees had to okay the deal, but he had to close it. And as Pitt shows, the money isn't everything. Apparently we almost lost it over money, especially when URI came up and essentially met all of his demands, and Pitt blasted the offer into crazy town.

Anyway, just wanted to say, great job on this one. If it's as right as it seems, it's the most important one of your career and I thank you for getting it done.
It's not our job to say it, but Hurley's agent seems to have done a pretty great job too.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
No, it's AD speak for stuffing your fat *** on a Caribbean Island while another school takes your spot in a P5 conference...
A Caribbean island where the AD of one of those P5 schools also happens to be...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's not our job to say it, but Hurley's agent seems to have done a pretty great job too.
With Pitt in the bidding he had a very strong hand and he appears to have played it for pretty much everything it was worth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom