Dave Benedict this is on you | The Boneyard

Dave Benedict this is on you

Reaction Score
Dave had to know this day was coming quickly. His job depends on how well his list has been prepared.
I'm gonna guess he didn't expect this given the extension. even if it was a BS extension that probably didn't mean much

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm sure he wants to. If he doesn't after this season, then there's a lot more going on. And it would be nice if the horde investigated.

I think we ran into a lot of worse case scenarios with boosters supporting Edsall, the covid non-season drawing out the inevitable, and likely not a lot of support (money) to bring in a new staff.

Benedict is a football guy, and it doesn't even take that to realize how horrible this program has been.

Reaction Score
AFTER THIS SEASON? How do you give Edsall the season?
could we call tj weist tomorrow and have him start monday? if not, then it doesnt really matter when randy is fired. were going to suck with anyone on the staff.

note that I think he should have been fired immediately after the game. but i don't think it really helps much.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AD DB is a db
Always has been always will be
Benedict isn't a football guy, he is a guy who is a disgruntled narcissistic SEC reject and won't see the "dream job" that he feels he is entitled
Time for a new Football HC and a new AD - ASAP

Reaction Score
AD DB is a db
Always has been always will be
Benedict isn't a football guy, he is a guy who is a disgruntled narcissistic SEC reject and won't see the "dream job" that he feels he is entitled
Time for a new Football HC and a new AD - ASAP
Got to agree. He’s a feckless loser doing BoT dirty work. He doesn’t realize or care that he’s allowed himself to be used at his own expense. His resume is destroyed for P5 jobs. He’s the guy that euthanized an FBS program.

Reaction Score
“He’s a football guy”.

I’m not sure there’s much evidence anyone in Storrs is a football guy or gal. He’s in year 5 of his tenure and we just lost at home to Holy Cross. He threw 5 years down the drain rehiring Edsall and was fooled into thinking the year off would lead to visible improvement this season. If he’s a football guy he better start showing it. Now.

Reaction Score
“He’s a football guy”.

I’m not sure there’s much evidence anyone in Storrs is a football guy or gal. He’s in year 5 of his tenure and we just lost at home to Holy Cross. He threw 5 years down the drain rehiring Edsall and was fooled into thinking the year off would lead to visible improvement this season. If he’s a football guy he better start showing it. Now.
uhh he played college football? clearly a football guy

Reaction Score
“He’s a football guy”.

If Benedict is a “football guy” then he’s the Waterboy.

His entire leadership style is to stay on the sidelines and just keep watering down the UConn brand.

Folding on P5 has atrophied the football team more than Edsall’s lousy coaching did.

Missing out on P5 will eventually kill basketball too. The posters who are content with playing in a private school non-P5 league better enjoy it

The NBE bids will slowly be taken away.

Neglecting the football program will cost all sports more than most admit. Five (half) original AAC teams are now P5. The fact that UConn is not one of them is utter failure on the administration and the fanbase for not supporting this program.

It always needed to be P5 or bust.

Reaction Score
I don’t think any AD walked into a tougher job than Benedict. Post-RE letdown. Championship alum basketball coach goes off the rails. Football coach with a P5 offer goes off the rails. The writing on the wall for the AAC and getting buried by a bad media contract. B12 expansion x2. Hands tied when hiring Edsall. What fans want and where the school is are two completely different things.

Going Big East/Independent was absolutely the right move. The only P5 spot that may exist for UConn is if ND commits to the ACC and they want a 16th team.

Benedict got a national tv deal for one of the worst FBS programs over the past decade and has been killing the Indy scheduling. I shudder to think where UConn would be without an AD as imaginative as DB.

I have complete faith that he can hire a competent coaching staff assuming they resources exist to do so.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I think AD David Benedict was told who he was allowed to choose for his next HC after Diaco was fired. No other reason you bring back Randy here. This was a pre-retirement gig for Randy to collect a great easy paycheck for a few years and then step aside. No way Benedict doesn’t have a short list of guys he’d call if Randy is fired. And he is a football guy after coming here from Auburn, wanted to make UConn into a P5 like program (even if we are an Indy) - it’s possible IMO. He gotta cut ties now and tell Randy thanks for all you’ve done for this program in your first stint here, but it’s time to pack his things. Go out and get somehow young who these kids will want to play for. I think Randy’s constant go-to line that “the players need to lead the team” is a terrible excuse. Yes, they need to play for one another on the field, and be leaders, but HE should be the leader of the program and be someone these kids want to play for. Don’t think that’s the case what so ever right now or has been the last 3 years.

Reaction Score
AD Dave is in a pickle IF, as others have noted, he is only doing the bidding of the BoT & major donors by rehiring HCRE & giving him carte blanche to deep six this program.
Dave needs to pull up his big boy pants & act decisively, aka BE the athletic director. Edsall is HIS underling, not vice versa.
Benedict HAS been so effective in many areas ( upgrading playing facilities for other sports, media contracts,etc.) that it is unfathomable that he is so inept with getting FBS football back to respectability.
At the season ticket holder preseason kickoff luncheon, HCRE was extolling the idea that the year off had allowed this team to mature & get stronger for FBS competition & it would transition to wins on the playing field. Those in the audience (Dave included) drank the Kool-Aid. It's not happening.
Last week I said that if HCRE was immediately fired there would be chaos. I was wrong. Chaos has been smoldering under the surface for some time & intensified into a wildfire. It's sucking the air from the fanbase (what's left of it) & leaving scorched earth in its wake.
If FBS football is to be saved, It's past time for Dave to do what's in his written job description.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
AD Dave is in a pickle IF, as others have noted, he is only doing the bidding of the BoT & major donors by rehiring HCRE & giving him carte blanche to deep six this program.
Dave needs to pull up his big boy pants & act decisively, aka BE the athletic director. Edsall is HIS underling, not vice versa.
Benedict HAS been so effective in many areas ( upgrading playing facilities for other sports, media contracts,etc.) that it is unfathomable that he is so inept with getting FBS football back to respectability.
At the season ticket holder preseason kickoff luncheon, HCRE was extolling the idea that the year off had allowed this team to mature & get stronger for FBS competition & it would transition to wins on the playing field. Those in the audience (Dave included) drank the Kool-Aid. It's not happening.
Last week I said that if HCRE was immediately fired there would be chaos. I was wrong. Chaos has been smoldering under the surface for some time & intensified into a wildfire. It's sucking the air from the fanbase (what's left of it) & leaving scorched earth in its wake.
If FBS football is to be saved, It's past time for Dave to do what's in his written job description.
The Board of Trustees and big time donors who influenced re-hiring Edsall are to blame here - who ever those donors are. How do we as fans get to them to influence their thinking on this program that it’s not year 2000 anymore. Time to go get someone who wants to build this thing and that today’s player wants to play for and can connect with them.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Some on this board are saying wait until the end of the season....why??? So what if we lose the rest of the games this year with an interim HC that has no right being our HC. Our assistant coaches are all terrible and I can't see any of them as an interim HC.

Regardless, it's about optics.....If you let RE ride out the rest of the season while we get embarrassed time and time again, then you are telling any future coach that you will not provide any support and the school doesn't care what happens with the program. Any FCS or other coach looking to use this job as a stepping stone can easily find a better school to go to.

Reaction Score
Some on this board are saying wait until the end of the season....why??? So what if we lose the rest of the games this year with an interim HC that has no right being our HC. Our assistant coaches are all terrible and I can't see any of them as an interim HC.

Regardless, it's about optics.....If you let RE ride out the rest of the season while we get embarrassed time and time again, then you are telling any future coach that you will not provide any support and the school doesn't care what happens with the program. Any FCS or other coach looking to use this job as a stepping stone can easily find a better school to go to.
Here's the thing. We have a bad team, with a bad coach, with a bad QB. But we play a lot of bad teams. Vanderbilt lost 23-3 to FCS, UMass got dumped on. MTSU isn't supposed to be good. Theoretically, we should be better than Yale. Army is solid, but the triple option never really scares me.

Yesterday was an embarrassment but there are plenty of chances to get wins assuming competent coaching and proper player evaluations. I wanted Edsall gone yesterday but he's still here so let's see what the team can do.

Reaction Score
…Going Big East/Independent was absolutely the right move. The only P5 spot that may exist for UConn is if ND commits to the ACC and they want a 16th team.

I have complete faith that he can hire a competent coaching staff assuming they resources exist to do so.
This is a the self-licking ice cream cone that many buy into. No. There are no “resources” that exist or can exist. That’s because we just locked ourselves into a city Catholic rec. league at $4M a year with no options.

The irony is juicy. Cincy was a very good basketball program that lost Cronin. They weren’t killing it either. The easy decision for cincy was jump to the safety of the NBE. Instead, They built their football program staying true to the big picture and it paid off. We screwed up but will never admit it.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. We have a bad team, with a bad coach, with a bad QB. But we play a lot of bad teams. Vanderbilt lost 23-3 to FCS, UMass got dumped on. MTSU isn't supposed to be good. Theoretically, we should be better than Yale. Army is solid, but the triple option never really scares me.

Yesterday was an embarrassment but there are plenty of chances to get wins assuming competent coaching and proper player evaluations. I wanted Edsall gone yesterday but he's still here so let's see what the team can do.
Assuming competent coaching and proper player evaluations. Bwahahahahaha.

Reaction Score
This is a the self-licking ice cream cone that many buy into. No. There are no “resources” that exist or can exist. That’s because we just locked ourselves into a city Catholic rec. league at $4M a year with no options.

The irony is juicy. Cincy was a very good basketball program that lost Cronin. They weren’t killing it either. The easy decision for cincy was jump to the safety of the NBE. Instead, They built their football program staying true to the big picture and it paid off. We screwed up but will never admit it.
What paid off for Cincy? They are in the BIG 12, which is basically the new AAC.

Reaction Score

But we aren’t Cincy. Cincy did not have the basketball success that we had, and we don’t have the football history or recruiting territory it does.

I was not in favor of the AAC departure, but that doesn’t mean it was a bad decision. I understand why it was made, and it was certainly in the short and intermediate term interests of the basketball programs.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom